Thread: god (and perhaps hicky)

Default god (and perhaps hicky)

im trying to relearn french. what is some easy reading material.

lemonde.fr for news, reading that every day was a big part of me learning french. candide was an easy read once i built up a decent base of vocabulary. but mainly lemonde.fr, or any other website you want that gives you new stuff to read daily. build up a vocabulary from that and then just start reading things that interest you.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

read baudelaire

well nah. following on from God, read authors like Voltaire and Camus. They're really accessible and really beautiful in distinct ways - Voltaire because he's a brilliant satirist who might as well be satirizing the modern day and Camus because he's heart-wrenching and reading him is a real psychological trip. You'll learn French and also your life will change. Try and get through them whilst making your way through some book or enrolling yourself in some course (can you not attend French lessons at your university!?)

I could. I'd rather not. French is something I could perceivably learn on my own, leaving me more time to take STEM classes.

hicky whats your favorite baudelaire poem

also im going to start studying italian this summer

good luck, I almost failed Italian

I am really terrible at learning foreign languages in general though :|

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post

The Albatross is mine.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post

l'ennemi, i'd say. although everything I ever see these days reminds me of "une charogne" (these days? how old am I?)...

... do you like Paul Verlaine?

if we don't recite Baudelaire to each other on the OFFICIAL PD meetup then when will we ever?

What is yours, God, my grandiloquent g?

l'ennemi is good, thats one of the ones i could probably recite off the top of my head(people need to start memorizing poetry again). i think i like le masque the most though i haven't read all of fleurs du mal. i havent read much verlaine. on french poets i will say i think rimbaud is overrated. i like him but nothing i've read of his has really affected me all that much.

i wouldn't say he's "overrated". "voyelles" is a really cool poem that no one else could have written. but I think that the myth of Rimbaud as someone who was an utterly mythical mind-blowingly prodigy and then gave up poetry at the age of 20 because he was too cool to write more is more important than Rimbaud's poetry itself, and people who claim to "like" Rimbaud often like this idea. and people should just like Baudelaire/Verlaine more, because they're amazing.

well I should explain more. Baudelaire is amazing because he's a fundamentally honest poet who writes poetry about stuff like rotting carcasses, time devouring life and being stoned in Paris and imagining it to be bulging classical monuments. But Verlaine is the best of the Symbolist poets to learn off by heart, and the poet who is the most aware of just the sounds of words and the ability of suggestion. Baudelaire is all ideas and corruption, but Verlaine is way more purely musical. My favourite Verlaine poem is 'Mandoline':

Les donneurs de serenades
    Et les belles écouteuses
    Échangent des propos fades
    Sous les ramures chanteuses.

C'est Tircis et c'est Aminte,
    Et c'est l'eternel Clitandre,
    Et c'est Damis qui pour mainte
    Cruelle fait main vers tendre.

Leurs courtes robes de soie
    Leurs longues robes à queues,
    Leur élégance, leur joie
    Et leur molles ombres bleues,

Tourbillonent dans l'extase
    D'une lune rose et grise,
    Et la mandoline jase
    Parmi les frissons de brise.

'Et la mandoline jase' - And the mandoline gossips. But the word for 'gossip in French is so much more beautiful. And if you really closely observe the mute e that you have to pronounce in French poetry, you have 'la mandoline', a beautiful combination of (fricatives, I think?) smooth sounds that almost mirrors the strings of a mandolin. It's beautiful, and Baudelaire couldn't have written it - or he would have written it, and the mandolin would have devoured his soul.

The whole poem is also in feminine rhymes, which is also really NOT allowed.