Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Black History Month

Once a thief, always a thief Colm's Avatar

This topic was a great idea, God.

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    When I get back from work I'll post the black men of the last 2 days I missed. But for now, today's ...

Black man of the day, 2/16/09 ...
    Jack "Unforgivably Black" Johnson

Jack Johnson, the first African American World Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Jack Johnson didn't have to overcome the 1950's type of racism, he had to overcome the 1900's type of racism, where the idea that blacks are inferior to whites didn't even need to be said. Slavery had only been over for about 50 years. Racially tension hardly even existed at that point, because for the most part, even the most liberal of mainstream politicians would never even think of suggesting equal rights or anything of the such. But Jack Johnson rose to become one of the greatest boxers of all time, and for over a decade, by far the most famous black man in the world.

Jackson was demolishing all the black boxing circuits, and decided it was time for him to go for the real title. He challenged the champion, James Jefferies, who did not accept, as at the time the Heavyweight Title was considered far to prestigious to let a black man even compete for it. James Jefferies retired undefeated, and Tommy Burns soon was crowned the new champion. Jack Johnson followed Burns all over the world, repeatedly taunting and insulting him in press conferences, in public, and during his matches, until Burns finally accepted his challenge, to "put the negro in his place." That, however, did not happen, as Johnson won a crushing defeat after a 14 round match. The match shouldn't have lasted more than 2 rounds, but every time Burns was going to fall over, Jackson would catch him and stand him up again, to pummel him more, and the referee was reluctant to intervene and award the title to a black man. But, after hours of a black man mercilessly beating a white man in front of 20,000 people, the police ordered that the fight had to be stopped so as to prevent a full-scale riot, and the referee was forced to declare Jackson the winner by TKO.

Everyone around the world was shocked. They began to call for a "Great White Hope" who could defeat Jackson, but one "hope" after another was destroyed in boxing matches, until James Jefferies, who denied Jackson's title match in the beginning, came out of retirement, again with the goal of "putting the negro in his place."

And, again, this didn't happen. Jefferies, who previously had never even been knocked down in a fight, was battered by Jackson until his corner called the fight, in fear of his safety. Although the crowd chanted "kill the nigger", and the ringside band played various racist toons such as "all coons look alike to me", Jackson embarrassed the ultimate "Great White Hope." As a result of the match, that night, the 4th of July, race riots erupted all over the country. In an almost apocalyptic alarm, boxing videos were banned from being transported across states, so that Jackson's crushing victories over white men couldn't be viewed by the populace.

Even with such racial animostiy, ain't no one can keep a nigga like Jack Johnson from gettin money and gettin payed. He was a major celebrity, endorsing a variety of products and earning an enormous sum of money. At one point, while driving somewhere, he was stopped for speeding and issued a $50 ticket, a considerable sum for the 1910's, and gave the cop a $100 bill, and told him to keep the change, cos he wasn't slowin down and he'd just have to be pulled over again.

After a long life of fighting, bitches, and being sent to prison for "transporting women across state lines for immoral purposes", he died in 1946 in a car accident, after being refused service at a diner, for being black. Perhaps no black man ever has fought the man, and won, with such flamboyance and success. One of the greatest of all time, not just in the ring, but in every way.
    Awww yeahhh, this guy was the shit. I'd love to see the show on this guy again, one of the greatest titles for any show ever. "Unforgivible Blackness"

Registered Users Regular

Better than AL them niggas should bang in the box'n ring.

I guess I was right

I knew you wouldn't finish this

You have a lot of backlog to make up for

Your gonna have to have a blackathon to make up

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post
    I knew you wouldn't finish this
    When was the last time tim finished anything? *coughpdbiographycough*
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

It's truly an historical undertaking. I'd like to contribute but alas, the blackest thing about me is my wardrobe & that's half green.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

yeah, there's definitely going to be a blackathon to catch up, dont worry

There damn well better be.

Luke Cage
    "Sweet Christmas!"

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/gRVIkvsGwJRVo3ScGcy6AxkuKdtNA2eFNG1tf59Cq7t-LWkoMI78Gu*uhdBCkuMgK8X0FdtVq9rKBz*mmVFTgzwl30vSB0 IT/LukeCage.jpg[/IMG]

Growing up in Harlem Luke fell in with the wrong crowd, planning small time robberies with his buddy Willis Stryker. As they grew up though, Luke tried to go legit, doing oddjobs while Willis tried to get deeper into organized crime. They both loved the same woman and had a falling out over her. So this punk ass Willis plants a kilo of heroin at Luke's appartment and gets him busted. Doin time for a crime a nigga didn't even do, Luke was offered a way out, he could volunteer for a medical expirement and in return the doctor would try to get his name cleared. All was going well as planned then the racist cracker warden decides to screw things up. He knocks out the doctor and operates the machine, hoping to fuck up the experiment and Luke with it. INSTEAD, Cage gets super strength and bullet proof skin. He breaks out of prison and goes on the run. Runnin from the Man, Luke ends up saving a shopkeeper from some thugs. The guy offers him money and Luke starts his career as a Hero for Hire.

Eventually Luke gets his named cleared and ends up a part of the superhero community. Luke's not a sissy in tights (overlooking his old yellow silk shirt and tiara costume) he's a real black man and don't take shit from nobody. He's stood up to Iron Man, got married to the sexy Jessica Jones, and had a baby with her. He went up against the government and Iron Man's lackeys during the Civil War, and when it was all said and done and the real good guys lost, Luke went on the run with the New Avengers instead of pussying out and taking the amnesty offered for registering as a superhuman. He fought and helped lead the charge against the Skrulls in Secret Invasion and he's currently leading the New Avengers against the Norman Osborne controlled superhuman population.

Luke Cage is what a black superhero should be. Bulletproof Nigga LONG before 50 Cent.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Nice, The more I find out about Luke Cage, the more badass he sounds

So Tim, wheres the black a thon, I wanna see more nigga in this thread. The more you put it off, the more you'll have to make up

Welcome to the third annual failed Black History month thread, Hosted by Tim McDonald

So Tim, what do you have to say for yourself

i had a pretty long post written up last night for nelson mandela, then my computer froze. you know how that feels mario, remember the farfetch'd story.

You just had to bring that up.......................................

That doesn't change that you owe like 11 of these things, and the material is easier since it isn't a fictional story that requires one's own thought to create every element, one's own creativity, ones own blood, sweat, and.........and....................

......Tears....

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234