Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Book Club

I just read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Great book, about World War 2 and cryptology, if you're into that shit. It educates you on mathematical appliance to cryptology, as well as presents a pretty cool story about some college dropout who joins the navy.

To all the girls that wanna join my tribe, just move to my rhythm and feel my vibe Echolalia's Avatar

Re-reading Catcher in the Rye and reading Revolutionary Characters, essentially a look at some of the "founding fathers" of the US
    Quote Originally Posted by Octazooka View Post
    globs of wet snow raining on me

Re-reading Paradise Lost ~ Milton.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I just read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Great book, about World War 2 and cryptology, if you're into that shit. It educates you on mathematical appliance to cryptology, as well as presents a pretty cool story about some college dropout who joins the navy.
    Sounds pretty deep. Just got finished reading The Ill-Made Knight by T.H. White two days ago. Such a very remarkable book. Going to read the other books in the series afterward.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

almost finished cathedral by raymond carver, which is really good. best minimalist writting ilve ever read, also reading a collection of transcripts of noam chomsky lectures. not really indepth information on any particular subject, but its a great reference point to find material to seek out more information on the various things he discusses

I'm reading Mister Monday.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
    ~

To all the girls that wanna join my tribe, just move to my rhythm and feel my vibe Echolalia's Avatar

Tim, go read Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octazooka View Post
    globs of wet snow raining on me

Just started 'Wide Sargasso Sea' by Jean Rhys, 20th century author bringing the demonised madwoman from Jane Eyre [my god I despise that book] to life.

Registered Users Regular

Lacemaker why so inactive

Lacey, why don't you like Jane Eyre? I really liked the early gritty parts of the book, but it falls off toward the end, imo. I havent thought about that book in years, not since I was perhaps 12-14. I should re-read it and see if I still enjoy it.

It's funny how you look at books differently as you get older. For example I read some of the drivel I read as a teenager and think, "I can't believe I liked this!"

You know what book I really hated? Madame Bovary. I think Madame should have kept her ovaries at home. WTF! She ignored the welfare of her child for the sake of personal gratification and that disgusted me. If she were to do that she should have just ran off with the dude who wanted her and left the kid alone.

Just got done reading Georgina, Duchess of Devonshire and really I think she should have kept her skank ass at home as well. (Feminists everywhere call out "OMG!" but you know its true.) Bitch bought her own problems, y'know? Pay the price. And I guess she did at that.

I'm a sucker for Jane Austen as well, I just loved Emma. She was smart and didn't get married until she was older, and avoided all the troubles that Georgina and Madame Bovary encountered. Or at least one assumes so considering that era of her life went unpublished... Heh.

My book list for next week:

Paper Towns - John Green
    The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald (reread)
    The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

Another book I really liked that gets a bad rap for some reason is The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemmingway I don't know why the feminists harp all the time about his chauvinism. I mean, Lady Ashley is a whore, I give you that but I still like the character. If anything they should enjoy how stupid he makes his menfolk look. Heh.

Oh and the vaguely antisemitic attitude of the book got on my nerves sometimes... But it was sort of amusing in the beginning. "Oh look Michael doesn't like Robert Cohn because he's a jew but rly its because he fucked Brett! Haha!"

My character from Pirates Keke was half based on Lady Brett Ashley and half on Scarlett from Gone with the Wind (another good book but terribly racist) with maybe a bit of Emma thrown in. And my character from Qoorl's Heaven's Fall RP TJ was based a bit on Jake and Bill from The Sun Also Rises... a BIT.

And as always I am re-reading Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan for a bit of light reading when I have a moment free.

just reread The Dunwich Horror and Others, H.P. Lovecraft collection, rereading Dealing with Dragons which is pretty cool, and also reading the Legend of the Five Rings Rulebook, which makes me want to read the Book of Five Rings, which is the manual on swordsmanship by...hang on...on yeah, Miyamoto Musashi.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Damn right! Book of the five rings

I read an online version of it once, but I still wanna buy it and reread it

A lot of the tactics actually make a lot of sense, I wanna try them someday, if only someone else I knew had a kendo stick

on a random book-related note, there is no way i could ever read a dostoevsky book in a soft cover edition

Have you ever read the art of war by sun tzu? It's very interesting. I bet you'd like it Mario.

its decent

Never heard of it until now but sounds interesting, probably not particularly great, compared to like The book of five rings or the War Diarys of Yi Soon-Shin, but still not bad probably

how could you have never heard of the art of war

Excuse me for being an impoverished minority who don't do nona dat readin stuff

It's free on the net via that link.

I caint read

Registered Users Regular

I don't read much I might start to though.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I can tell you don't read, Pokegun, don't worry.

a people's history of the world by chris harman is maybe my favorite book ever. a general history of civilization, examining the major events not in the usual historical fashion, but in how they relate to shifting class relations and the changes of means of production. basically everyone in the entire world should read it. also has a "further reading" section for more in-depths works on each section which i always like.

NOVELS I'VE READ RECENTLY:

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol. One of the best novels I've ever read. Hilarious satire of the upper class of 19th century rural Russia, which is still relevant to the modern day upper class all over the world. Amazing characterization, don't know if there was ever a book that was able to give you such a feel for each character within the first 2 sentences written about them. Read it people.

After Dark by Haruki Murakami. Probably his least critically acclaimed book, and the first of his I've read. Loved it. A pretty short book that you could easily finish in one night, generally centered around a young girl in Tokyo who doesn't feel like going home or anywhere else for the entire night, so just ends up wandering around. It's great. Rekindled by dormant desire to go to Japan.

Beginning Trainer

I'm reading a collection of Poe works. Also im reading the House of the Scorpion, by Nancy Farmer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast