Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

House of the Scorpion was a GREAT book. Has alot to get your mind around, but is better because of it I think.
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

Beginning Trainer

Yeah, it has alot of intersting ideas. it got me thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    Lacey, why don't you like Jane Eyre? I really liked the early gritty parts of the book, but it falls off toward the end, imo. I havent thought about that book in years, not since I was perhaps 12-14. I should re-read it and see if I still enjoy it.
    Charlotte Bronte writes with such a pompous air as though her angelic protagonist can do no wrong ... it's absolute fustian. she rides the moral high-horse throughout the book and while it strives to be some kind of landmark piece of literature to respresent the trancesion of social class division and stigma, it comes out as this joke of a novel with ridiculous two-dimensional characters and a plot that, paradoxically, succeeds at being both paper-thin and as thick and painfully obvious as a treetrunk. It's like the equivalent of an erotic fantasy-romance novel of the 19th century.

Duh! Erotic Fantasy Romance Novel is the POINT of her books! Jackassed Heroine who THINKS she's really decent, is really not as decent as she thinks, but still more decent than one might expect, hijinx ensue involving social structure of the time, Romances breeze by and eventually work themselves out at the end... Only thing her books need is a monster from space, or a villian in a metallic mask.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

It's a pretty interesting novel set in Germany during WWII. There are two protagnists: Death and Liesel... I love how Death comments on everything. "I like this human idea of the Grim Reaper. I like the scythe. It amuses me." and how he's "haunted by humans". There are a lot of interesting themes in the book too.

You guys should read it.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

It's a pretty interesting novel set in Germany during WWII. There are two protagnists: Death and Liesel... I love how Death comments on everything. "I like this human idea of the Grim Reaper. I like the scythe. It amuses me." and how he's "haunted by humans". There are a lot of interesting themes in the book too.

You guys should read it.
    I read it a few months back, and when I finished it, I was just sitting there, a little bit shocked. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, since when I first saw the titled I imagined some kid smuggling books out of the library.

I'm about halfway through it. I like the tone it gives off.

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Soon I'm going to read The Real Holocaust by Gyasi A. Foluke, and I'm continuing to read Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

bought a book today about the linguistic history of the world. linguistics is always a subject ive had a general interest about but never really read up on, so should be cool.

also am almost done norweigan wood by haruki murakami, which is the best novel i've ever read

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Gonna invent an easier language than english so the peasents can learn it?

Norwegian Wood is an extremely good novel. I wish I could understand Japanese though to be able to read the original ... that's the trouble with these translated books. You can't help but wonder if anything was lost in the translation.

reading the recent novel My Name Was Judas by NZ author C.K Stead. can't really say too much about it since I'm only a few pages in.

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

I knew there was something you didn't know! Japanese!

I never thought I'd see the day when you didn't know something

Hahahaha

finally got around to buying lolita today, which i've been meaning to read forever. only a few pages in and its already written in one of the most elegant and enthralling styles i've ever read. also got a wild sheep chase by haruki murakami because at this point i want to read every novel he's ever written.

my reading sort of hit a wall recently due to being ridiculously busy(worked about 45 hours this week + the various footwork of finding a new house) so hopefully two novels will speed it up since that linguistic history book can sort of get dry at certain points although it's really interesting in others.

Reading:

The Jungle
    Blade of Fire (sequel to The Cry of the Icemark)

The Jungle is summer homework, but it's still quite interesting. And Blade of Fire is for some variety.

To all the girls that wanna join my tribe, just move to my rhythm and feel my vibe Echolalia's Avatar

I liked Cry of the Icemark and Blade of Fire. I think a third one recently came out
    Quote Originally Posted by Octazooka View Post
    globs of wet snow raining on me

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I'm reading a series of short stories by Steven Saylor (alliteration lol), A Gladiator Dies Only Once. It's excellent and emulates Roman history in the way you learn everything about it as if you were there.

To all the girls that wanna join my tribe, just move to my rhythm and feel my vibe Echolalia's Avatar

I've read that. As I recall, it was pretty enjoyable. Not overly thought provoking, but enjoyable

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

well aren't you the book opprobrionator

Quote Originally Posted by Echolalia View Post
    I liked Cry of the Icemark and Blade of Fire. I think a third one recently came out
    I haven't read the Cry of the Icemark in years, so as I read Blade of Fire I have to remember what happened in the first book.

Neat, I might check it out when I'm done with Blade of Fire.

Yeah i'm not sure though. I glimpsed Stuart Hill's name on the bookshelf as I was on my way out of the store, so that might be it. I'll look it up soon or later

dude DINOSAUR CAVALRY

I knew there was a reason I wanted to continue with this series!

I wish he could just have some random epic battle scene with like pirates and those african people and the people of the icemark and werewolves and vampires and the polypontians and the ice demons and the fucking dinosaur cavalry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast