Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nope, still not dead yet.

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    gotta wonder, what kind of resume looks good for someone applying to play video games
    Yeah really, I'm almost certain testing is an entry level job, although there are slighly higher positions in some companies, not sure how much experence is required though, prolly not much, especially considering how stupid you have to be to test shitty FPSs

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

You have no idea how testing works, do you, Mario.
    It isn't as Ritzy as it sounds. You work crazy hours doing ONE thing several hundred different ways. Say in a Nascar game, for one day, one person would drive a car around the track, then in reverse, then going the wrong way, then going the wrong way IN reverse. Then do it all in the other 100 cars.

Then the next day, they change ONE setting on the car, and do it again. You also have to understand the base coding of a video game in order to diagnose a problem with it.

There are also positions in testing given away on the premise of player skill. Because, say for Halo. You can think the map you made is impossible to get out of, but then someone comes along who thinks outside the box, and gets out of it using combinations of glitches and tricks gained through experience.

Yes, testing is an entry level job, Mario, but entry into the field itself takes a very good resume, or a degree, and I won't have a degree for a couple years. Also I do not plan on staying as a tester for more than two years. While I would be an excellent permanent tester, I'm using it as a platform to build my resume upon. I can now say that I worked at a respected game publisher. It's as if I've taken a shower, and people can now see me for my true self, and not for the grime that previously coverred me.

But It's okay, Mario. I wouldn't expect you to know much about jobs or resumes. Or bathing.
    :yes:

look at ninja getting all high and mighty about getting a job playing video games all day at a company where his uncle works

Actually, knew all of that, although I pretty much doubt you need a degree to play a game over and over again, doing the same thing over and over again but in different ways. At the most I can think maybe you need to have tested for a couple of games in order to get into more major projects for bigger companies, but I certainly doubt you need a degree in game testing.

It's hilarious that you think your hot shit because your a tester

xD
    Yup.

Money's money. Don't matter where you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post
    Actually, knew all of that, although I pretty much doubt you need a degree to play a game over and over again, doing the same thing over and over again but in different ways. At the most I can think maybe you need to have tested for a couple of games in order to get into more major projects for bigger companies, but I certainly doubt you need a degree in game testing.

It's hilarious that you think your hot shit because your a tester
    >_> The degree is required for programming jobs. The testing job is to get your name into the field. I never said I thought I was "Hot shit" (Which, why the fuck would I want to be?) because I am a tester. But I will be when I'm pulling in six figures at 25. And seriously. Go wash.

You honestly wanna be a programmer? The most boring job in the process? I just hope you intend on having minimal to no creative input on the process. And I highly doubt you'll make 6 figures, this business isn't exactly one to get rich in, I saw the figures for average salary for a lead designer, and even with 6+ years experence, one can only expect to make around 80k per year. Programmers are a little better paid because their job is boring and monotonous, and they require a bit more technical knowledge, but they still don't often break 100k.

It's better than your job.
    Oh.
    Wait.

yeah mario, ninja used family connections to get a job where he plays video games all day. he is a real man making it in the real world.

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

At least he's not collecting welfare/social security/whatever because he's ocd.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

I actually am OCD.
    Severely so.

But I don't use it as a crutch.

Which reminds me, Mario.
    What type of OCD are you, is it internal or external. Most of mine is internal. I just also like to be tidy occasionally, and uninformed people call that OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    At least he's not collecting welfare/social security/whatever because he's ocd.
    not exactly trying to jump to marios defense or anything because obviously he can do it himself especially against the current people in this thread, but i just can't stand little middle class kids with no concept of the real world getting some high and might attitude against poor people. mario is not collect social security so he can sit on his ass all day or whatever, but so that he can actually get transportation and financial aid etc so he can get a job and go to college and shit, since he is starting out at zero and is the poorest person on this forum. it may come as a suprise to some, but not everyone has an uncle who can hook them up with a job playing video games all day.

again, i know he can defend himself especially against the opposition in this thread, but posts like this from kids like shadow really do piss me off.

Just to let you know, Tim. I don't have my job because of my uncle. I got accepted BEFORE he even applied. He has since moved to PA because Firaxis became his last resort in a job.

But yeah, I honestly can't relate to being poor. I'm not rich, not by any means. My family barely scrapes by right now. Our savings accounts are dwindling rapidly. And that's after I throw in my paycheck. But apparently Mario is in a whole other ballpark, and that's sad. I honestly feel bad for the guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12