Thread: The city of Riln

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Default The city of Riln

Thought I might revive this forum with a simple feud RP.

Prologue

"Have you ever heard of the City of Riln?" asked an old man, his name is not important right now.

"No, I have not," answered a younger man. His name doesn't matter either.

"The City of Riln is an ancient city, filled with sages of all kinds, and warriors of the greatest breed," said the old man, "Now what is special about Riln is that it floats. That's right, it floats. In the air, no less. It flies high above the Rila desert, from where its name comes."

"Float in the air, but that's impossible!" exclaimed the younger man, "No magic is strong enough to support such a city."

"Ah, that is why people admire it," replied the old man, "Riln is so filled with magic that it floats on its own power. Many a scholar of magic has come to Riln to learn or decipher its mysteries. It was originally in the desert, 500 years ago. Riln, the capital of the desert, home of the jinn, father of the ninja, king of the mystics. Finally so many magicians came that it slowly began to rise until it began floating. You can imagine the surprise of the Rilnians when they woke up that morning."

"But what about water, and food, and communication with the outside world?" asked the younger man, "How do they fulfill their most basic needs?"

"Some things even I do not know," replied the old man, "Maybe you, a traveler, should travel to Riln to see."

"I will travel to the desert starting tomorrow. I must see this floating city that you speak of," stated the younger fellow.

"Be cautious, however," warned the old man, "There is an old feud between the three sides of Riln. The Jinn presiding there are in direct feud with the angels, and the peacekeepers, human magicians, have began to escalate to violence to preserve order. It has become a disgusting place of fear for each side, especially the smaller society Jinn, who have been lately persecuted by the angels more than ever. Angelic my ass."

"Thank you for the advice, wise one," thanked the young traveler, who then got up and began packing for a trip to the desert.

---

Mint was scared for her life. What if the Angels found her. Their big, flapping wings, their long, blonde hair. They would behead the essence of a small Jinn like her with their shining holy swords. That cruel Angel that killed her sister stilled haunted her visions. She remembered as she watched through the key-hole of her closet as the blue-winged monster brought his sword down upon her sister's open and defiled body.

What was that noise? Mint turned around to see an angel closing in on her. She shrieked as the angel approached. He reached for her neck and everything went black...

Setting

Riln is a large city floating above Rilna desert in South-East Magba, a continent large continent in the northern hemisphere. To be exact, it floats precisely 671.26 feet above the ground, and 780.7 feet above sea level, so it is very high. Getting there is difficult, so for the ease of transport many magicians there developed an elevator of a sorts, that is a metal platform which would lift a person up to Riln, and then back down. A surprising lack of people know about Riln, to due its isolation in the desert and relative impossibility of access.

In Riln there is a small war going on between the minority - the Jinn - and the majority - the Angels. Trying to keep the peace is the ruling magicians, woefully regretting ever giving summoned Angels and Jinn permanent rights. Once they settled, both species multiplied within the city, made only possible by the abundant magic. To put it sweetly, if either species were to leave the city for longer than a few months, they'd die.

What are you? Why you are participator in this nasty feud. You could be Jinn, Angel, or magician. Or possibly even a passing by traveler (maybe traveling with the fellow mentioned in the prologue). I'll get a little more in depth on the details:

Species

Riln is divided up into four quarters - and they're not all equal (don't take "quarters" literally). The first and largest belongs to the rich magicians. It is also where the magistrate is and where most municipal activities are done. Second largest belongs to the Angels. Many things in that area are only accessible by flying. Third largest is the Jinn quarter, which is rather run down. The last quarter is host to some poorer magicians, many inns, and a few other minorities, like the priesthood. This is also the entertainment quarter, hosting a large theater for musicians and (magically-assisted) plays.

Magicians

Originally Riln was solely populated by magicians, until magicians made their summoned creatures permanent. These creatures (Jinns and Angels) began to multiply in Riln until the city began to float. Eventually the Jinn and Angels became wholly mortal, after spending too much time out of their own dimension.

But back to magicians. Magicians are solely human, and can master any number magics, including elementalism (Mastership of earth, fire, wind,and water), necromancy (summoning of dead spirits), and scrying (viewing the future and past or seeing things from afar). Most magicians are also skilled in the art of summoning, mostly Jinn and Angels.

Angels

Angels are tall, humanoid beings with long wings that can be different colors. An angel's wings are said to be reflective of it's personality, so red wings would mean passionate and excitable, whereas blue means clam and collected. White usually means pure and un-biased, so usually an Angel judge would have white wings. Other than white, however, none of these has any effect on judgment, and thus any angel could take any side.

Angels can fly easily with their wings, but they do get in the way a lot, and thus they stop the angel from fitting into smaller places. An angel's wings are also very fragile, and so an angel will tuck them away when he isn't using them. In battle an angel might cover his wings with armor or spikes. All angels are very skilled in sword-play and archery.

Jinn

Jinn are humanoid creatures with an automatic mastership of elementalism. Many Jinn parents must keep their children in non-flammable rooms so that they don't set fire to whatever they're looking at. All Jinn are born with grey or blue skin and piercing purple eyes. Humans are warned not to look into the eyes of a female Jinn or risk falling in love. Angels are not affected by this. To protect themselves from a Jinn's gaze, many magicians wear goggles while on the job.

Jinn, if they concentrate, do have the ability to float. But most prefer walking. Only a few will normally get around by floating, although most Jinn can float if there's an emergency. Many Jinn can sword-fight, but prefer elementalism. Archery is a staple skill among Jinn nowadays, since it is the best defense against a flying angel.

Other things of Note

-All species can die from illness or a mortal wound. They all die from old age as well

-Romance between species is possible and does happen, though it is rare

-The elevators to Riln are large enough to carry two cows and three men safely - Unsafely and that's 5 cows and six men, but don't expect it to support you

-Riln's climate is that of a desert except without the sand

-Water is circulated and cleaned via the magical filters under the Magician's quarter

-There is no other civilization within 400 feet of Riln - so you should probably bring some camels

Sign-up

Name: (Of character)
    Species: (Angel, Demon, or Human?)
    Wing/Skin Color: (Wing color if you are an angel, grey or blue skin if you are a Jinn, race if you are a human)
    Position in Conflict: (For Angels, For Jinn, Neutral, Don't care, etc.)
    Brief History: (A short summary of anything special in your character's life. please include their occupation, family history, nationality, and education.)
    Appearance: (Height, weight, body structure, eye color, hair color, etc.)
    Skills: (Sword-fighting, cooking, necromancy, etc.)
    Other:

Was there a reason to post this three fucking times?

Deleted. Now are you going to just provide "creative criticism" or are you going to join?

That's long.
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

I'll take that as a posthold.

Considering... Consider this a post hold. Good Work Suleiman Jr.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Can't decide on what to be. Posthold.

Oh, and about Angel wings: Do they have to be a solid color or can there be mixes?

There can be mixes. Actually, an angel with, say, blue and red wings would be pretty cool.

Do Jinn get bound into Rings and Lamps and things? And are they divided into Djinn, and Ifritti, and Marid an Shaitan?
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Currently you cannot enchant them into certain objects. There will only be Djiin (Air) Ifritti (Fire) and Marids (Water), each being more powerful with their element, although each can use all three. I was thinking of doing the common hierarchy (Shaitan, Marid, Ifrit, and Djinn) but decided to keep them all equal instead. Shaitan may make an appearance later on but right now I'd like to keep it simple. Earth elementals will be Imps, but they won't appear much as they are drastically different from the other Jinn as well as being much weaker, partially because Riln is in the air. If you want to make your character one of the more outcast Jinn, you could make him or her an imp.