Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Karma

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Karma

So I think we should have a karma system, or keep discussing karma and reputation like some kind of dead horse.

WHOA SLOW DOWN SONNY. Wasn't karma that system where females just praised each other constantly? Wasn't karma that system where Sasuke just repped Buckweat constantly because they complimented their pictures and called them not emo?

Yes, it was. However, I have ventured out to a lot of other forums, and I have seen karma work. I have been able to tell instantly if someone is a pseudo-intellectual shitfuck or an insightful, likable, genuine person just by karma on some forums. They appear to have systems in place wherein karma is basically how cool you are - and it helps unbelievably.

There is several ways we can make karma work:
    - Have a better community
    - Only give the power of smiting and praising to moderators, therefore meaning retards don't rep each other and karma is a true power from the Gods.
    - Being more limited. Only repping people when they make a thought-provoking post that encapsulates who they are perfectly. Not repping people just because of status - people actually have to earn karma, hence the name.
    - Not being able to be negative, because negative karma is honestly really stupid and you can't really compare it to other people's karma.

'Reputation' sucked. I mean who understood reputation at all, really? I think I speak for everyone when I say that karma is a lot more comprehensive than reputation, God just put the system on because he saw it on tzome forums or wherever that place was where he saw the Wiki.

So, what do you say? At least 2 of the above 5 factors could make a practical karma system.

Cast aside all practicalities like contacting Mewtwo, this is a theoretical discussion.

Karma wouldn't work on PD. It'd be a massive circlejerk

That's why I provided the above points to prevent that from happening, as in restricting the power to even moderators or even administrators, for your actual criticism rather than your cynicism

The moderators will still provide a circlejerk to the regulars

I wouldn't, and the others might not if I berated them constantly..

You should just give the ability to anyone cool if you're going to do it, restricting it to mods would keep it underused and impartial since that wouldn't be the true voice of the forum.

Also you could make time constraints like only once a week or once in three days in order to stop said 'circle jerking'. A karma system is an excellent staple on a forum and it basically justifies an entire post count - therefore, there must be a way to just make it work, even if it does require a bit of innovation.

It just doesn't work on some forums.

Like this one.

nanaki people would rep/karma good posts. not our fault the good posts come from the same general people. dont be a sore loser.

A Small Man With A Magical Penis LuigiTheLight's Avatar

Yeah, God is all knowing. Listen to him.
    You know what's incredibly pitiful? Submission. Don't sell your integrity, you get no commission.

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

Why not just have a friend/foe system.
    The more popular someone is, the more friends they will have. The more Ninja/Ripdo/Shadow/Rayne they are, the more foes they will have.

Make a friend worth 1 point, and a foe worth -1 point, and display the difference under their avatar.
    :yes:

everyone would be friends with ripdo. i know i would.

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

I will never understand this community.
    :yes:

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Those types of systems are never properly utilized here, and are generally useless.

The only kind of system I could think of is a kind of Approved by system. Like, each member has a list in their profile of people who approve of them, and based on those names one could determine if someone was actually a good member or not, like you know you could trust the word of someone who has my name on their approval list. I'm sure there would be a way of corrupting that system as well though eventually

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Am I the only one on PD who actually uses the Friend List thing?

I see no point to the friends list.

The ignore list, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post
    Those types of systems are never properly utilized here, and are generally useless.

The only kind of system I could think of is a kind of Approved by system. Like, each member has a list in their profile of people who approve of them, and based on those names one could determine if someone was actually a good member or not, like you know you could trust the word of someone who has my name on their approval list. I'm sure there would be a way of corrupting that system as well though eventually
    Although this IS a theoretical discussion, this system is probably beyond Mewtwo's vBulletin capabilities.

Only people in a certain user group can change karma. Those people are given lectures not to rep people they have had sex with and even so they can only change karma one point every day. That way, they don't even waste karma - they have to use their ability to give karma sparingly, so I'm probably guessing they won't rep retards (no names mentioned). What is wrong with that, someone tell me, and we could try it we don't have to keep it and have everyone hate it. Also, people are deliberately picked so they won't respond to messages like 'GIVE ME YOUR NEXT KARMA POINT!'

Which is why I don't really love posts like this:

It just doesn't work on some forums.

Like this one.
    Do you really think PD has some kind of soul that has been corrupted by the extent that the karma system would never work? No. I'm not a very scientific person but I think you're supposed to analyze exactly why it wouldn't work, not just say it wouldn't. YOU MONSTER

I agree with you on this one hicky, we should give some kind of system a shot, karma or what have you.

Registered Users Regular

I WON'T FOLLOW THOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    Only people in a certain user group can change karma. Those people are given lectures not to rep people they have had sex with and even so they can only change karma one point every day. That way, they don't even waste karma - they have to use their ability to give karma sparingly, so I'm probably guessing they won't rep retards (no names mentioned). What is wrong with that, someone tell me, and we could try it we don't have to keep it and have everyone hate it. Also, people are deliberately picked so they won't respond to messages like 'GIVE ME YOUR NEXT KARMA POINT!'

Which is why I don't really love posts like this:

Do you really think PD has some kind of soul that has been corrupted by the extent that the karma system would never work? No. I'm not a very scientific person but I think you're supposed to analyze exactly why it wouldn't work, not just say it wouldn't. YOU MONSTER
    I THOUGHT IT WAS OBVIOUS. It works on forums where there isn't THE ELITES AND THE REST. It works on forums where there isn't just one group of people that is popular, where there are more than just a few and they all don't cloud together.

I mean, the best we get toward that is there is the "cool" circle they think they have going on in spam.

nanaki the "elites" or "cool people" are the good posters, the people who make the good posts, the good posts that would deserve to be given karma. i think the myth that there is some kind of ELITIST GLASS CEILING on this forum has been thoroughly dispelled by now. stop crying.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    - Only give the power of smiting and praising to moderators, therefore meaning retards don't rep each other and karma is a true power from the Gods.
    That would mean having a minority in power, if people with the most rep are getting it from retards, that means the retards are the majority, which basically supports the whole God - Eve - Mario trinity theory.

It may be a minority but it'd be the minority that forms the lifeblodd of the forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast