Thread: So I (kinda) have an idea for a book

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Default So I (kinda) have an idea for a book

Well, I got the setting down... Basic setting, but setting.

It's not taking place on Earth, but it's similar (the winter is longer and summer incredibly short). The people have lower technological advances than we do, around the 1700s if I had to date it. Currently, they are stuck in a geomagnetic reversal, and more and more people are dying off for reasons unknown the population.

Main character is a young man. 22ish. I have no idea for a name (ideas welcome) or description. I'll get on it when I start writing.

Since I think it would be boring following one guy, I also want to add at least 2 other main characters. A girl (name is Sylvia is all I got, lower 20s) and an older man (Thinking of using Darchi as his name). Older man will probably be used for comic-relief.

I'm thinking of making the young man indebted to Darchi and having to pay him off somehow. Eh. I just need a reason for them to travel together. They'll meet Sylvia along the way (or maybe I can make her an old friend?)

And sure, let's let a war break out. Destroy a few towns. Winter comes along. Who knows, maybe I can add an epic dragon to the mix (from another story I dropped).

Gah. I might as well make this into a PD project... I want it to end with the reversal being over. As a "rebirth" kind of thing. I need human sacrifice
    and sin before that though. That's where I'm stuck. I have too many ideas, and none of them flow.

So brainstorm?

The guy had nothing. He stole to live. But after stealing one to many times he was caught and going to be killed. The old guy saves him. But in return, the protagonist has to travel with him to ______ so that he can meet up with his family that was split up when tensions rose for _____ reason (hint toward war?), because for whatever reason, it's unsafe for just him. On the way, they find Sylvia, who's in some pickle, no clue. Once they help her, she asks to tag along.

Maybe?

This is really interesting because I had an idea like this once. A while ago. It was something along the lines of

There's a world with two seasons, spring/summer and winter. Winter lasted the vast majority of the year (11 months pretty much). The world was engulfed in forests everywhere, except the far north and south, which was tundra. There are few villages spread out across the middle of the planet. Nature grows too fast to actually cut down enough land to expand and the little land each village does have is dwindling, never expanding.

When summer comes along everything is beautiful for a month, and travel between the woods is possible. So if they want to expand, it's the only time to. So the story follows a few kids who just got out of school (school ends and there's still a little bit of winter left). They try to devise plans to expand before they're all killed.

I ultimately dropped it because of EOA. Surprise surprise.

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Just constantly think of things and different senerios for your characters, make the characters into real people in your head and think from all of their different perspectives, draw from real experences in your life and everything, make them have some meaning for your overarching plot and themes, and put them together like a puzzle. Just write small drafts and see how things flow, and only keep the things you like and keep putting it together differently until it all fits.

Sylvia turned out to be young man's father's illegitimate daughter. Somehow he'll realise somewhere center-endish part. Maybe they found out in girl's hometown when someone called her [Father's name]'s daughter lol?

Totally un-creative. Not of any help. Sorry :X

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5...nnercu8ty8.png <------>[EdHikariEdoardoPeeksYvonneDBLacey]

I'm not dead. Just veryvery inactive nowadays.

Watching TV last night gave me an idea~

All the towns will be underground (because of the solar radiation levels) so they are totally isolated from each other. Rivers run through, so they have water. For crops, sunlight filters through a tiny hole in the ceiling, and people assume at the low level that it can't hurt them.
    People are afraid to go to the surface because of the past stories of people dying soon after. However, the solar radiation is gone now. But since no one knows this, they don't leave. The young man (temporary name is Kalas) is a skeptic of the aboveground world. Darche (thought it sounded a little better than Darchi ), who is a village outcast for his strange ideas, comes over to Kalas one day and tries to convince him to enter a cave that leads to the surface. Kalas doesn't believe at first, weeks later, he goes and finds the surface (to his surprise).
    Later on in the story, they find a girl, Sylvia, who is busy writing a ton of books about the surface and what she finds up there. She also came from an underground town, but people from hers grow food outside but still spend most of their time underground.

I think I'll end the story with people coming out of their caves. This story just evolved again... I can probably drop the war idea too. I'm not too good at describing battles anyway.

Wow, thats pretty good, that could turn out awesome, if you can think of some stuff the prolong the story for longer than that, like have some other menace besides radiation, and have those three be the ones to destroy it to make it safe to dwell above ground again, like have the radiation thing be either a cover story for what the problem really is or a byproduct of this menace

OR OR, you could have like some beings living on the surface who were mutated by the radition while it was there, and they end up being a civilized culture whom the people who moved underground thought were monsters but are actually normal, and now they live on the perfectly safe surface of the planet while the humans hide underground. And like have all the organic life on the surface like trees and plants and stuff become like altered by the radiation, and have it all become unique and different, and just have it be about the exploration of this new world. Also for a story about how the Radiation came and left, it could be part of some anomoly that happens like every thousand years or something, where their sun experences some sort of burst of radiation or something, I dunno

Well, the solar radiation happens when the Earth's polarities switch like they are starting to do now (increase of cancer anyone?) and the magnetic field can't protect the planet for a period of time. (Meaning if it were to happen right now, all electrical things shut down, migration patterns of animals are destroyed, and you would see auroras everywhere because solar wind is not hindered by the fields anymore. And the winds bring in charged particles from space that further mess with the planet.)

Hmm, it's a bit scifi, but I'll see what I can think up.

:/

Well yeah, it is what I watched last night.

Mind you, I'll have no giant robots.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

ripping off shows that critics don't watch is a good strategy for getting inspiration

Don't most great authors usually get inspiration from another story anyway? It's hard in this day and age to find anything totally original.

Everyone steals for Shakespeare and Homer and they stole from others so it's okay.

Writing is one big kleptofest

Well I figured you were going for a sci fi idea based on the premise with the radiation and all

I guess my idea is a little far from what you were looking for...

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I don't mean to get all generic, but if there's one thing that's always made a story a slight bit better is a romantic side-plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post
    Well I figured you were going for a sci fi idea based on the premise with the radiation and all

I guess my idea is a little far from what you were looking for...
    No, it's okay. Any idea is fine.

To all the girls that wanna join my tribe, just move to my rhythm and feel my vibe Echolalia's Avatar

perhaps the old man could be some sort of seer that the rest regard as a loon. Like, they all think he's crazy when he has these visions that are telling him to go to the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octazooka View Post
    globs of wet snow raining on me

Yeah, I was starting to go in that direction.

I gonna have these giant bats (or griffins) in the story too I think. They need something to ride/domesticate.

But I thought my idea was too sci fi...... :niggasad:

I never said it was.

Ohh, OK. I understand then

As for the old guy, How about he's just a little insane, like he pretends or even has some delusion that he's a psychic, but in reality he's a fake who just wants to go above ground because he wants to die from the radiation or something crazy like that because living in fear underground has made him depressed and stuff, but when he finds out the radiation doesn't exist and sees the true beauty of the above world, it makes him want to live again or something.

That sounds like really good idea for a book pichubro. Everytime I try and write something, I either decide it's shit or I'm too lazy to finish it.

Speaking off books and pichubro, be proud! I've moved on from sparkly vampires to better books. I'll change my sig sooner or later.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
    ~