Thread: The great pokemon breeding mystery

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Default The great pokemon breeding mystery

Starting with Tauros. I'm assuming they are used as "farm animals" in the Pokemon world, however! Every single Tauros is male, meaning that even a ditto will create another male Tauros. Thus making them very inefficient farm animals. They must breed with Miltanks now, but this must've been weird before people knew about Miltanks.

It also goes without saying that dittos can make genderless pokemon breed, but that doesn't rule out that they can't asexually reproduce either. So, for a long time, most legendaries can't breed, but remember Silver, the baby Lugia? Oh shiznit, something happened there. The nature of pokemon broke their own laws.

Going back to Tauros, I guess an all-male species can breed easier than a one-of-a-kind legendary. But then, there was a time when Lapras and Snorlaxes were legendaries too. When all those Lugia multiply, they will be numerous enough to lose their status apparently.

And since all Tauros are male, there must be some female-only pokemon as well. Kangaskhan, Jynx and Chansey to name some. It's obvious that Kangaskhan's have babies, but I don't want Jynxes making a bunch of babies, no thanks. And we all know Chanseys breed with Nurse Joys. Plus, as a random note, Mr. Mime can be male or female... They should've kept the Japanese name Barrierd. Or Barrier'd more like it. Like Farfetch'd.

Also, Wailords rape Skittys. And here I thought as a kid living with pokemon would've been awesome. And they let 10 years old out in this world completely free and innocent of the horrors of the pokemons.

Registered Users Regular

Hahahahaha. Holy crap. I have always been confused about pokemon breeding. Another not is..I don't really get how some rock pokemon can have genders. Geodude and Onix? Just seems extremely odd. And in The Diamond and Pearl games this dude says no one has actually ever seen a pokemon lay an egg. I don't think the world will ever know the real mystery of pokemon breeding.

There was a simpler time... When pokemon had no genders.~

Registered Users Regular

Yeah. Shoulda been kept that way.

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

Tauros presumably breed with Miltank.
    :yes:

What they shoulda done is forget about having only male or only female Pokemon; its silly. Just because Chansey carries an egg or Kangaskhan carries young; male penguins raise their young from eggs for a period of time and if no one were ever taught that that's what they do, who could tell the difference between male and female? And if there can be female Mr. Mimes, why not male Jynxs?

Besides, why not just have all Pokemon breed the same way; 50/50 chance of being male or female and 50/50 chance of taking on the form of the mother or father Pokemon.

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

Because then female pokemon wouldn't be more special than male pokemon, and they would bitch about it until the pokemon Union rigged the system to benefit them again.
    :yes:

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    Tauros presumably breed with Miltank.
    Yes, but according to the game no matter what species the male Pokemon is, the offspring will always be the earliest form of the female Pokemon. The only thing the offspring inherits from the male is moves.

Beginning Trainer AceTrainerScott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    And we all know Chanseys breed with Nurse Joys.
    haha, brilliant!
    Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Also, Wailords rape Skittys.
    it's not rape if you shout surprise
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Yes, but according to the game no matter what species the male Pokemon is, the offspring will always be the earliest form of the female Pokemon. The only thing the offspring inherits from the male is moves.
    youre completely right, but apparently you can only get tauros from breeding tauros and miltank though. i read that somewhere.. anyone prove me wrong?

Goldeens are female and when they evolve to Seakings they turn male. Yup.

Does Dragonite scare you? Dragonfright's Avatar

And apparently Heatran was able to have a gender, while most other legendaries don't. And while Claydol and Metagross don't have genders, Pokemon like Steelix, Magnezone, and Golem do.

Hypothetically, if there were a world populated with Pokemon and all we have are anime & video game renditions of them, you can either take them as gosPel or follow your own interpretations.

Tauros & Miltank might in fact be opposite sexes of the same (very dimorphic) sPecies, or simply two breeds of cattle that whoever is in charge of sPecies info just decided to represent entirely as single genders. A bit like how you can crossbreed an old english bulldog with a Greyhound and have viable offsPring. These cattle are the same thing, but it's just easier (or mor interesting?) to always have the offsPring as the mom's sPecies.

Likewise, Nidos have two very distinct sexes that obviously beed but can't in the game.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

yeah very odd but they may make tauroses through breeding plants where they force dittos to you know what and remember back then in Kanto tauroses and dittos lived in the same area.