Thread: Good songs about suicide

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Good songs about suicide

The desire to kill one's self is an interesting literary concept. Wishing death upon yourself in a completely honest and realistic way is such an amazing thing to write and think about - it proves either a convoluted mindset, a general upset with the state of humanity in which you no longer view yourself as a member, a sudden rush of emotion, a struggle over personal issues, a feeling of your time being done and your mission being accomplished (which is the case in many sane people, read: Claude Chappe), or, less coolly, a desire for other's profit or gain.

Therefore, it has stricken me recently that at least 80% of music about the subject of suicide is, not necessarily awful music, but music extraneous to the real reasons for suicide, and it generally seems to be acoustic music made by people who have experienced depression or are watching others in a depressed state. This music attracts culture because teenagers are attracted to suicide because it seems radical yet a lot of them would not properly consider it, and other people are attracted because they are either mindless or emphasize with the songwriter despite not knowing him personally. This music is poetic, however, although I will only give it credit for that - mainly it's just money-grabbing off of capitalist teenagers.

This thread is for the other 20%. It is a large area - it is not necessarily small, unless you're an elitist. There is many, many good songs about suicide, and there are probably some that people like. So this is for you to share your music about suicide, or more vaguely depression, sadness, and even excessive agitation.

Pain of Salvation - Rope Ends. A beautiful song. The lyrics are rather obvious and unencrypted, but in case you didn't get it a housewife is disillusioned with the world. This song also serves as an excellent weapon where 'suicide is selfish!' is concerned - I heard that argument in another forum, added the guy who said it on MSN, got him into Pain of Salvation, told him to listen to this song, and lone behold his attitude changed. Why people say that I have no idea. And yes, in case you haven't noticed I fucking love this band.

Korn - Alone I Break. This is awesome. Although it's his personal perspective it's actually incredibly cynical and has some good lyrics. Meh I like KoRn, it's probably my loss but it's an innovative band and Jonathan Davis is cool.

That's all I have. Post yours.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Mommy of all Suicide Songs:
    Gloomy Sunday - Billie Holliday

Eraser - Nine Inch Nails.
    Describes the act itself. The album that this track is on "The Downward Spiral" is actually an entire CD devoted to suicide. Before, during and the aftermath.

The End - Blue October
    Dude kills his wife, her lover and then himself. It's an intense song.

My Tourniquet - Evanescence
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1mTYZB4KGo

Into the Ocean - Blue October

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rebN_cxYwd8
    This is easily one of the most beautiful songs I know, the images the lyrics paint are just lovely, even considering its about drowning yourself 14 miles from shore. It's so mellow, it's almost happy.

"Not knowing how to think
    I scream aloud, begin to sink
    My legs and arms are broken down
    With envy for the solid ground
    I'm reaching for the life within me
    How can one man stop his ending
    I thought of just your face
    Relaxed, and floated into space

I want to swim away but don't know how
    Sometimes it feels just like I'm falling in the ocean
    Let the waves up, take me down
    Let the hurricane set in motion, yeah
    Let the rain of what I feel right now come down
    Let the rain come down

Now waking to the sun
    I calculate what I had done
    Like jumping from the bow, yeah
    Just to prove I knew how, yeah
    It's midnight's late reminder of
    The loss of her, the one I love
    My will to quickly end it all
    Set front row in my need to fall

Into the ocean, end it all
    Into the ocean...end it all"

Angel - Blue October
    "I'm wishing the bath water clean
    She hides in the back and is unseen
    I take off the mask that surrounds me
    Look me in the face
    What do you see"

Suicide Solution - Ozzy Osbourne

Fade to Black - Metallica

Jeremy - Pearl Jam

Suicide - Soundgarden

Hold Your Head Up High ( and Blow Your Brains Out) - the Bloodhound Gang

Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss

The Night Will Only Know - Garth Brooks

Sick Sad Little World - Incubus

The Ocean Doesn't Want me Today - Tom Waits

I know there are more that I just can't think of right now.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Here is a link to the "saddest songs of all time" list i was making before:

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10249

No Surprises - Radio Head
    Suicide.

I'll take a quiet life
    A handshake of carbon monoxide

A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
    He knows he's gonna die. Maybe it's better that way after all.

Broken Wing – Martina McBride
    Spousal abuse leads a woman to jump to her death.

Independence Day – Matina McBride
    Spousal abuse leads a woman to burn herself and her drunken husband to death leaving behind a young daughter.

Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan
    His bride-to-be stands him up at the alter, so he kills himself. Damn, it really sucks to be him. It's such a jaunty little tune until you hear the lyrics.

Sorry to triple post, but I just wanted to say that of the songs I listed, the best one has to be "Into the Ocean - Blue October" If you only listen to one, listen to that one. It's so... Peaceful.