Thread: My dad says there's no such thing as an American Empire.

Default My dad says there's no such thing as an American Empire.

I mentioned the Louisiana Purchase, the Spanish-American war, the civil war, our involvement in the Cuban revolution, our involvement in the Philippines, Iraq, Afghanistan, and our involvement in Korea and Vietnam.

He said those don't count.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

You think I'm joking?

He said the Louisiana purchase was justified cause it was purchased.
    He said the Spanish - American war was justified cause the spanish stole the land too.
    He said the Civil War was justified to preserve the nation.
    He said Iraq was justified for anti terror reasons. Same with Afghanistan.
    He said Korea and Vietnam were justified because they wanted to be free and we were saving them from communism.
    He said that Cuba and the Philippines were us helping to establish democracy.

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this man.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

civil war is arguable. all the rest are pretty hilarious, especially cuba. fulgencio batista, becon of democracy. ask him what he thinks about ronald reagan considering augusto pinochet a personal friend.

also from what i know about it i dont find the Louisiana purchase too suspect.

you should get your dad to post here

also from what i know about it i dont find the Louisiana purchase too suspect.
    Trail of Tears? The Massacre at Wounded Knee?

well those aren't DIRECTLY connected to the louisiana purchase, trail of tears happened a good 30 years afterward and massacre at wounded knee about 100. both were caused by the relocation of natives to area bought in the louisiana purchase though. im not sure how high on the list of motives for the louisiana purchase having land to relocate natives to was, though.

yeah we are think about it we killed the native people with weaker technology and spread like a cancer over North America

Unless you somehow connect it to us buying it from the French at ridiculously low price funding their war back in Europe?
    -.---.----..

e only bought the lousinana purchase averything else was invaded and still there the indain land was sold before they even knew of the white man

My dad said we were justified to embargo against the Japanese, the prime cause for our involvement in WWII, because it was a preventative measure to get us into the war, because the axis forces were taking over the world. I said preventative war was Adolf Hitler's reasoning for invading Czechoslovakia and Poland. He said how dare I compare us to the Nazis because they rounded up people in concentration camps and killed them. I mentioned the concentration camps here that held hundreds of thousands of japanese americans. He said those don't count because it was war time and we had to stop the spies. I said "So let me get this straight, when the entire purpose of the war was to fight fascism, it's okay to do so by implementing fascism on your own people?" He said yes.

I'm really starting to wonder just what the hell is going through his mind.

I have to disagree the Japanese camp where not that bad and they where only preventative measures.

not that bad? almost everyone was at least close to starvation, several died from lack of medical care.

well we could of killed them like the nazis but did we? no

the nazis only did mass extermination because they were losing the war. Theoretically if we'd gone about WWII differently 6 million jews could have been saved.

they still treated them way worse

Ravensbrueck concentration camp. Ravensbrueck, Germany.

Camp Amache, Colorado.

Yet another of our Japanese concentration camps. Take note of their personal belongings stacked ever so neatly waiting for them =>_>=

I'm really not noticing any stark differences.

well there certainly were vastly different conditions. but if the only way you can defend the japanese internment is by comparing it to concentration camps, that really says enough.

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

I'm having this same conversation again, how am I supposed to come to grips with the average right wing american mentality?
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

Buy ignorizing

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

It takes a special kind of stupid to be a diehard patriot.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be