Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't see an easy way out of this.

Ah the collapse of intelligent discussion in the face of boobs and internet memes. BTW, WHo's Boobs in the first post, Yo?
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Registered Users Regular

Nice ..... prolly Keke

Let's hope so.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    What's basically happening is the federal reserve has turned the fire hose of money on full blast. Normally this is enough to blast the economy back up out of a recession but prices have been so inflated for so long all it's doing is slowing the collapse. Eventually assets like houses and even high yielding stocks are going to be worth practically nothing because the inflation will be minimizing any potential profit to be had from them. Basically instead of more money increasing the price of these things back to "normal" the inflation is so bad it's making investments like stocks and homes pretty much worthless.

Keep in mind of course while all this is going on people's wages are staying the same while food costs among other things have skyrocketed.
    the more i think about it the more i dont see why it would play out like this

something like 40% of the world's wealth was destroyed in the recession. as i understand inflation, its basically an increase in available wealth without a relevant increase in production. if such a huge amount of wealth has already been destroyed, its completely unfathomable that any governments are going to start printing money to equal a huge percentage of worldwide wealth.

besides, most of the money the government is spending is just going into banks, to replace wealth that was destroyed, so thats not a net gain that would imply inflation. its just to get credit going again. its just using money to replace something that was already there before. i dont see how that could cause runaway inflation.

the argument im hearing is that during the recession, prices havent deflated, so when the recession is over, since people will have more money, prices will inflate like crazy. but then again isnt a huge reason why prices havent deflated, because unemployment benefits have been sufficient to meet peoples food and clothing needs? when people go off unemployment and get jobs, there will certainly be a significant net gain of income, but since credit is obviously going to be less insane for the forseeable future, i dont see prices going too high in response.

MAYBE IM MISSING SOMETHING??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12