Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates: Chaos Rising

Cho'kar walked. He walked for days. Weeks? Maybe it was a month. In the subterranean dark, he lost all sense of time. The eyes of the Phoenix gave him sight enough to travel through the caves and he fed from the blind groping life that lived there. He almost lost all sense of self, only the hope that he could get back on the path, continue his pilgrimage, kept him going.

At last he emerged. Out into the light. Months ago, the intensity of the sun would have blinded him after the time he had spend in the great sprawling dark beneath the sea. Now his eyes adjust almost immediately. He was back on dry land, near a shoreline, though he knew not where. There was only one thing to do now, keep walking. The Sav'ran continued across the beach, the sun raining down on him, and sweat beading on tightly corded muscles. Another day went by, two, three.

Then a shadow passed overhead. The orc would have scarcely noticed if, had it not emitted a piercing shriek. Cho'kar looked up and his eyes lit as he saw a familliar, if larger shape. It descended, circling around as it came, before finally lighting on the ground.

"Carai! I had never thought to see you my friend! You have grown." The wyvern chirruped as the orc petted her, she was now almost half his size, far too big to perch on an arm. "And what of the Red Hand, our friends? Are they safe?"

The wyvern bobbed up and down, as if trying to speak. It was then that a strange high pitched whine fill the sav'ran's ears. He winced and it passed, but it seemed to take something from him. A strange feeling gripped him, a sense of loss. He knew himself, but it was if something inside him was...clouded.

"Camilla?" Cho'kar spoke the name softly, then focused his attention. Somewhere across the water, perhaps only a few miles, he could sense the confused conciousness of his friend. Now to find a boat or a raft.

More walking, but now he had a companion. And even more fortunate it wasn't long before he came again upon the glories of civilization.

It was a fishing village, poor and ramshackle. The entire area reeked of rotting fish. Cho'kar approached, the wyvern fluttering after him. A fisherman emerged from one of the huts. His skin was sallow and his clothes dirty. His eyes were bright however and they widened with surprise as Cho'kar approached.

"What blessings do you possess friend, to walk with dragons?"

The orc smiled, "I possess the favor of the Great Beasts, well one of them at least. I hope to find Bahamut and gain his favor as well. But first I must find a boat."

"You walk with dragons and quest to speak with the King of All Dragons? Truly you are mighty! I have a boat!"

"Excellent!" Cho'kar grinned, "I have great use for it! I must find my companions!"

"Indeed!" The fishermen nodded vigorously and held out his hand.

It took Cho'kar a moment to realize what the man meant. He sighed and handed over the small pouch containing the last of his gold. Without the hour, he was in a small rickety boat, headed south.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

"It can be strange sometimes," admitted Ervan. "You have a different concept of honour than I do. And yes, I believe that is blood."

"Does that mean that you have honor and that I have none, or is it you who is without honor?" Keke tilted her head to the side and smiled in a humorless way. How would it feel to find that one was an honorless dog?

Unanswerable questions crowded around inside her roiling mind and she fought rising panic. "What manner of person am I? What is my favorite food, do I like children and kittens? What is my favorite color? What of my family? Am I well loved? Where are we from? Not here, surely. What are we doing here? This is all so odd."

Cradling her head in her arms she choked back unshed tears. "Oh, my head hurts so!"

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

"I think it means we both have honour, in our own understandings of the word. I also think that you have honour in the way I understand it." He considered her next questions for a moment.
    "You are kind and brave. You're favourite food is crabs. You like both children and kittens, although not together in the same sandwich. Your favourite colour is white. I know little about your family, but I believe your father is dead. You may have been well loved by them, but I cannot say, although you are loved by your friends, although they may not always show it. We are both from Ireland, and were shipwrecked here after being attacked by an evil entity we believed to be dead."
    "Oh, my head hurts so!" said Keke, holding it.
    "Is there anything I can do?" asked Ervan, concerned.

Banned

He had made glass. It was a long time since he had saw some, and it looked so interesting. A few vials were made, as well as the pattern. He started through the forest. When he had first came to this island, it had been his home. The cave was much better though.
    The yew stump was in a clearing. He laid down the glass pattern and placed the other spell components on it. After a minute, it appeared to be working. However, as soon as the summon was halfway finished, it exploded into a flash of light in the sky.
    "I wonder what went wrong," he said, " at least those on the sea will get a good show."
    He went back to the cave, and went to bed.

A dim memory of a white haired man in gleaming armor laughing and spinning her over his head assaulted her. "Dead?" Dead. Dead, dead, dead. What a beastly word. "Are you certain? Of course, it isn't something someone would say if they weren't certain..."

Pain wracked her, it was aimless and without source. All she had to associate it with was the faint image of a laughing man. Her father? She wished she knew.

It was the flash of light that distracted the Sav'ran from his path. He held a hand to his brow looking along the horizon as the fawning, creeping boatsman, Jeng rowed behind him.

"What is it, Great One?" he sniveled. pausing his toiling for a moment.

"I... am not sure," Cho'kar replied, "it may be he work of my companions, and it most definitely bears inspection. Alter course, Jeng, and row us to that small island."

Jeng nodded, his head bobbing and the wide brimmed coolie hat upon his head bouncing with him. He altered course and they approached the island.

As Cho'kar dragged the boat ashore, the sky was awash with colors. Far to the west, a half sun blazed orange on the horizon. Purple and golden clouds painted their way across the sky above it. The orc studied the horizon for a moment then nodded, approaching the small cave on the beach.

"I am Cho'kar, the Tamer. I seek the Four Great Beasts. Is there anyone in there? Are you a member of the Red Hand?"

Inocuous as his questions were, the orc's hands drifted slowly to the Fang's of The Hunter slung from his belt.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Daerid lounged upon the dais, surveying his 'servants'. The women lay about the pillow filled room in various states of undress. And to think he had lived a life as a holy man! What utter crap. Now he had women, he had soldiers, and more importantly he had power.

He lifted the crystal level with his eyes, a gift from his new 'godess'. The pale skinned man put a hand to his mouth to stifle a yawn before speaking toward the bauble in his grasp.

"What of the Red Hand? Have they been lost at sea, or have they at last reached my shores, ahem... I mean, my lord, the Dragon Emperor's shores?"

Green mist swirled within the crystal and shapes took form. A shillouetted crimson beast with a daemonic cannon for an arm. Fire and Rain. The sinking of a ship.

"Ah Ha! How priceless, and did this destroy them?"

More Swirls, then hazy images took shape. Ervan on the beach. Daerid's lip curled into a sneer. If they were on an island near China, they would reach land soon enough, and he could catch the wretched little man and laugh gaily as his servants flayed the hide from his body. He frowned for a moment when there was no sign of Siren. A pity, he would have done everything in his power to turn her affections. Then an image of the wayward princess, dishelved, shipwrecked and amnesiatic. Daerid's laughter caused the women, those that weren't too drugged to lose all track of their surroundings to jump.

"HA HA HA HA HA! Darling Camilla, a washed up rat! After all I did for that girl when I was.... well before... and she spurned me. SPIT upon my generosity. Well we can all see what it has gotten her now. I DO hope she remembers me when I strangle her."

The mist swirled again and a dark figure formed. Greenish skin and corded muscles, lithe but with a predatory power lurking beneath. AN adolescent Wyvern fluttered at his shoulder. It was the Beast Tamer, Cho'kar. The sneer faded from Daerid's face. A look of concern replaced it for a moment, but only a moment as cold rage rapidly covered it up.

"Someone fetch a messenger. I must send troops out immediately."
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Banned

"I am Cho'kar, the Tamer. I seek the Four Great Beasts. Is there anyone in there? Are you a member of the Red Hand?"

The booming orc voice awoke Elsant.
    "Oh boy, another person!"
    He saw a Orc and Human as he emerged from the cave entrance.
    "Hi there, what brings you to my humble island?"

"As I said, I am searching for my companions. I believe they are on this island, although some distance to the south. We saw your...fire, and I believe that you might be one of them. We seek to stop the arrival of the Ending."

Blazing Phoenix eyes studied the man, looking him up and down and locking eyes with him at last. Jeng tugged lightly on his arm.

"You must beward, Great One. He is Wu Jen.... a witch."

Cho'kar glanced at the fisherman then back to the stranger from the cave.

"Be that as it may, you are more than welcome to join me in my search, sorcerer. Perhaps a bit of magic might do us some good. I will not press the matter however. And I did not catch your name."
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Banned

"I am Elsant Pouyato. Thank you for your invintation, it'll be nice to get off this island for a while. I saw a man- err elf before, near a shipwreck. I think we should start there.If you could wait just a second."
    He went inside and gathered some things.
    "Now, I think we should be going."

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

The crow's nest was swaying as the ship went down. It snapped and fell off. Dart was jolted and momentarily stunned. He recovered and noticed he was level with the ocean. Was he in water? No, he was not wet. He was, in fact, in the crow's nest. Fate's cruel hand had decided to spare him, but not her. He looked back at the ship to see it slowly sink into the waters. He could see figures atop the mast, still protruding from the sea. There was Dani, and that Esmerelda woman. Had was there too, although he was sitting down, evidently accepting his fate. "Dart!" he could hear a voice yell, but he could not tell who's it was. Then the boat went under water, its vaccum sucking those on it below.

Dart's thoughts drifted away from his lost crewmates. He was once again staring at a beach. Waves were splashing against the shores relentlessly, and the trees were still standing. Everything else seemed to have accepted his loss. It was time he did too. Dart sighed and suddenly stopped breathing as he caught a noise. It was a male and female voice, conversing far away. He was surprised he could hear it. Then the conversation stopped. Curious as to the inhabitants of this sandy and somewhat barren landscape, Dart walked in the direction he thought he heard the voices.

(Time Lapse...)

Keke struggled to pull herself together. This wasn't the time for hysterics. There was no time for hysterics. She scrubbed at her eyes with the heel of her hand and tried to regain a modicum of decorum.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw a pillar of light rocket into the sky. Her head whipped in that direction, and pain splintered through her skull once more. Hand held to her eyes to shield them from the sun, she peered off searching for it's source.

"What was that do you reckon?" She asked the human, but didn't wait for a response. Without pause or thought, she trekked off toward the area the light had come from. It didn't look far.

Cho'kar nodded in thanks to the man, and so the Orc and his two new companions began hiking south. The island had the cave at least, and some trees. For the most part it was sparse and barren. Until they got a bit farther south and the vegetation thickened into a mini jungle. After a bit of deliberation, they decide to skirt around the bulk of vines and trees and keep to the beach.

The sense of confusion in the back of Cho'kar's mind grew stronger and he felt other things. A swirl of emotions, relief, blaise, worry. And the three travelers found themselves in a clear area and it was only a few feet away that Cho'kar laid eyes on his comrades again. For the first time in three months. Ervan sat beside a fire, Keke was walking towards them, and in the distance he could see the ramshackle scarecrow figure of Dart emerging over the dunes.

The Sav'ran threw back his head and let out a mighty bellowing laugh.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

"Human, arm yourself!" Keke shouted over her shoulder, reaching for her bow. "There is a monster walking toward us and he has captives."

Only humans, but still. She would spare the captives if she could.

Knocking an arrow, she took careful aim at the orc's head before pausing to consider her actions... Why did this feel so familiar? Almost... De Ja Vu?

"Human, why can I feel the monster? Human, why is the monster in my head?!"

Banned

"Cho'kar, if these are your friends, you seem to have to have an ... interesting... relationship."

Dart was overjoyed to see Ervan and Keke, although he was some-what surprised at Keke's poor cosmetic condition. It got even better when the good ol' Cho'kar appeared, with some new friends along in tow. Then suddenly his smile turned into a face of shock as Keke pulled out her bow and aimed her arrow straight at Cho'kar's head. He reflexively pulled out his own bow and knocked an arrow. What am I supposed ta do?

Dart paused for a moment. The answer was obvious. They were friends, they should stop fighting. He aimed at Keke's bow and fired, pulling it out of her hands and pinning it too a tree. He waited to see her response.

Cho'kar held up a hand to stop Elsant and Jeng from committing an act of violence. He frowned for a moment then shook his head, deep clear voice echoing in the little clearing.

"It would appear we have found the source of the confusion I sensed. Keke, Camilla, whatever name you have decided upon at the moment, do you not remember me? I am Cho'kar, of the Sav'ran. I seek the Path of the Four Great Beasts, we journeyed together in search of a way to prevent the Ending... or the coming of Great Chaos, whatever you choose to call it. It has been many months, Ervan what HAS happened?"
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

OOC: Consider my post right after Cho'kar speaks.

“The beast speaks in a human tongue and calls me by the name I have been assured is mine. And the other, Camilla, was it? Who is she? What is the meaning of this?” Keke mused aloud.

Just then, her bow was ripped from her hands to thunk into a nearby tree. Instantly, she went into full on panic. “We are surrounded by enemies!”

Her dagger and nimcha were in her hands and her eyes were darting frantically about before she knew what had happened. The reverberations of the steady thudding pain in the back of her head grew greater, her blood pounded in her ears.

“I... Can't...” One hand lifted partially to her head, dagger still gripped firmly. Blackness closed in and the world went dark.

At least she was fortuitous enough to fall away from her weapons!

Dart gazed at Keke as she went into panic and fainted. What was going on? It was as if she was not Keke at all! But surely it had to be her! She ahd the link with Cho'kar, obvious enough as she had cried it out. Dart left her alone to lie on the beach. He knew Cho'kar, poor loving beast of a man, would look after her. Instead he walked up to Ervan.

"Alright Ervan, now I don't know abou' ye, but that's not the Keke I know," Dart said, "So I think ye've got some explaining ta do.

"I haven't hit her in the head if that's what you mean," replied Ervan. "She's been like this since I found her. As far as I can tell she either has amnesia or is playing a very elaborate trick to make it look like she has amnesia. Oh, and she keeps saying her head hurts. These two things may be related. It's good to see both of you, by the way."

Inez screwed the lid on tighter and placed the mason jar on the shelf. She tapped her chin with one long, pink fingernail and considered the contents. She would have to go winnowing herbs later, it would seem. She was almost out of powdered divining leaf. With her eyes squeezed shut, she whispered fervently, “Erzulie, you lovely lady, please bless this spell, cher.”

Smiling, she threw the contents of her fist into the bubbling liquid. It hissed and spit, the fire beneath the small pot glowing purple for a moment before it settled into a dull green glow.

“Oh, that's no good, no good at all.” She said to the cat sitting on the table beside the fire. When she spoke, a soft French accent slurred her words. Pursing her lips, she shook her head at the colors flaring through the liquid. It looked like she was brewing bottled Aurora Borealis, the way the pot shimmered and glowed. Finally, the colors coalesced into the image of a blond woman lying prone in the sand. Her pale hair shifted, and a pointed ear became apparent. “An elf, on my island? That's strange, cheri, so strange.”

The image stretched and the rest of the party became apparent, “An elf... Two elves! A human touched by the gods, a human touched by magic, and an orc of all things. All standing together on my island. Is that where the flash come from darlin'?” Squinting her eyes, she stared at the pot and shook her head as though trying to clear it. “There's something else here too, sugar. It ain't coming through clearly. No it's not. Something dark.”

Arms akimbo she glanced about the dilapidated house. “I knew that shipwreck was trouble.”

She plucked from the mantle a leather band with a round glass dial attached to it, at first glance it appeared to be a watch. At first glance. Numbers floated in a clear liquid, and a needle pointed north. With no wasted motion, she dumped the liquid and replaced it with some from her pot. Colors shot through the liquid and the numbers swirled.

“That'll do for that, now won't it?” Inez said as she strapped the band to her left wrist.

Stomping around the house, she shoved stuff into her hat. Jars full of miscellanea, a box of feathers, a pillow and faded quilt, it all disappeared into the hat without a trace. Even the pot she had used for divining went into it, after she tossed the contents out the window. As she gathered together her necessities, she ranted at the cat, “Nothing good coming from that wreck, no nothing, cher. It wasn't natural, the storm blowing up off the summer sea with no warning. Huge magic working that, bad juju.”

“Need my walking boots for this one, cher. I think I do.” She said to the cat, nodding the whole time. Digging under the small bed that rested in one corner of the one room cabin, she pulled out first one tan colored boot and then another. She dusted them off and tugged them on. Soft stockings covered her legs to above the knee, and secured mid thigh with pink satin bows.

Almost as an after thought she went to the wardrobe and shoved a plethora of clothing into the hat, a box of pressed powders and creams followed. The cat followed her with it's eyes, and let out a soft, “Mrrrreow.”

“Don't look at me with those judgy eyes, you cat you. A girl always has her vanity, you know that, darlin'.” Inez laughed. She plopped the hat onto her head and sauntered toward the door. “You coming, or ain't you? I have to lock the place up. If you stay here, you are staying in.”

The cat narrowed its amber eyes, before it hopped off the table and meandered out the door. Inez laughed, “You're crazy, you know that, right? And here I am the one talking to you this entire time! We make a fine pair of nuts, don't we?”

Locking the door behind her, Inez walked confidently in the direction she had divined the party to be.

Thunder rumbled, and she looked toward the horizon. Storm clouds were gathering, again. “Oh, that ain't good. No it ain't. Not two mage storms in a row. Nothing good! Come on, cheri, lets go get those folks and bring 'em back before they get soaked!”

"The game begins..." whispered a voice in Hart's head, a voice he knew well, a hundred different souls speaking as one; the herald of Tzeentch. Hart stepped forward into the empty air and a house appeared before him.
    "This must be the place," he said, just before Inez stepped out. "You are the one known as Inez, yes? The witch?"

“A witch? Non! Nononon! This is a very rude word, cher. I am Inez Soleil Marie Temple, Voodooienne extraordinaire. You know the word, oui?” She asked, but went on without waiting for an answer. “Voodoo Priestess. I'm a healer, a doctor. And oui, I know the magic. I can tell you your future, cher, but this is not for the faint of heart. Non, it surely isn't that. Do you have need of my herbs? Are you unwell? Or was there some other reason you seek me?” She cocked her head to the side and tried to peer into the helm. Was this the darkness she couldn't divine in her brew? She glanced at her watch and found it to be no help. “A potion, perhaps?”

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast