Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates: Chaos Rising

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

"I do not need help, mortal. I have been sent by the Great Schemer to act as your guard, and perhaps as your guide. Chaos works against us, and you seem to be important in some way to his plans."

"A guard, hmm?" She asked, smiling. Was this a joke? "You are in earnest? Why would I need a guard? I can call lightening from the clear sky and make water dance."

The herbs hadn't told her nothing about this, for good or ill, what could she do? "Well, no matter. Don't dawdle, there some folks down on the beach about to wash away like drowned rats, cher. The storm, it's coming, see?"

Without waiting for a response, in her typical brisk manner, she walked off toward the shore.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Hart followed her. Clearly she did not know any more than he did. Whatever Tzeentch's reason for his order, Hart couldn't see it. He sighed and his armour faded from view. Perhaps he would find out one day.

Inez marched forward with a smile plastered to her face. The storm was coming fast, dark clouds were swirling closer. Worry wrinkled her forehead, but she tried not to let it show.

When she walked up to the party on the beach she barely paused for introduction, "Howdy ya'll, I'm Inez Soleil Marie Temple, and this here beach is about to be flooded. Don't ask how I know, it'd take too long to explain. You can call me Inez, or Miss Temple, or Sun Marie, or whatever you like really. As I said, it's about to storm. Big bad storm. I mean, no ordinary storm. Very bad. I don't see how it matters what you call me, so long as you come with me, but I prefer Inez. Two mage storms, not good. You know? Umm... What are the words for English to say that it's very bad, cher? Is anyone listening?"

She ended her tirade with her hands on her hips and the same worried smile lifting her lips.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Dart sighed at Ervan's response. It seemed Keke was suffering from amnesia. This would make a challenge. He walked over to the tree where the bow was pinned. This is gonna need some reparations. The bow was strong, but Dart's shot had been stronger, and there was a large splinter sticking out of it. With an effort Dart pulled out the arrow and threw it away, it was useless and bent now. He picked up the bow and examined it closely. He would need some magical skill before he could fix that. Maybe somebody else could.

Dart suddenly turned around, startled by a female voice break in out of nowhere. "Hi ya'll, I'm Inez Soleil Marie Temple, and this here beach is about to be flooded. You can call me Inez, or Miss Temple, or Sun Marie, or whatever you like really. As I said, it's about to storm. Big bad storm. I mean, no ordinary storm. I don't see how it matters what you call me, so long as you come with me. Two mage storms, not good. You know? Umm... What are the words for English to say that it's very bad?"

Dart gazed at the woman suspiciously. She looked tough, and she had two pistols to boot. Her hat also looked unfamiliar. Dart had never seen one like it before. Her accent had a French tinge to it. Ugh, Dart didn't like French people all that much. Regardless, he walked up, never shy to meet a stranger, "The word ye're thinkin' of is 'orrible, or maybe terrible. I'm Dart, nice ta meetcha. We should probably get outta 'ere soon, then, seein' as 'ow it's about ta flood. Got any place we can stay from the rain?"

"Oh, oui!" She grinned, "Oui, oui! I have this house, you know? It is on the stilts. It has legs, cher! The floods, they don't touch it. It has the magic ward, the rain don't come inside. It is dry, warm. This storm, it will be 'orrible, and quite possibly terrible as well. It is back this way." She pointed. "That away.

"Out of the rain and into the witch's den, oui?" She laughed as though she had made a joke.

Dart chuckled nervously. Something about her last statement set him off ease. He shrugged it off, he was probably just weary. He needed a long rest and some time to get Dani and the crew out of his mind before he could return to his jolly self. So he finally decided to follow, checking behind to see if Cho'kar was bringing Keke along.

"You are very paranoid, oui?" She laughed and tugged a lock of Dart's hair. "You can be at ease, I am the good witch, yes?" She giggled. "A voodooienne. How is the word in your language? Healer, priestess, one of the good guys. But you know my daddy, he always say, they louder someone shout that he is honest the closer you have to guard your gold. But really, sir, I assure you, my word on my life, I mean you only good things. No harm. This is the first time I have met an elf. And to think there are two of you! Two! The other, she is injured? Well, bring her along. I have the tincture to make it better. Herbs, they are my specialty."

Dart was set a little at ease by the kind lady's words. Her nice voice was soothing to his ears, and he liked how she felt his hair. No, no. Dart mentally shook himself. He had learned the hard way to be less trusting, especially towards mysterious people that can use magic and are "stranded" on a deserted island. His eyes became alert again and he looked around for conceivable traps. Not wanting to alienate a possible ally, he started up a conversation.

"So 'ow did ye come ta live 'ere, Inez?"

"Oh, this place, it is my home! I was born here. My daddy, he used to advise the French King, and then he was exiled and hunted for something he say. If you want an advisor, why for to get pissed when he say the wrong thing? If you want a toadie to agree with your every word, hire one of those, not the advisor, oui? Does this make sense? Oh but then, they come here, my daddy and my momma both, they were great healers, witches, voodooiennes. Whatever word you like. They died, and now the house, it's mine. I live here. This is my island, darlin'." She said proudly. There was a little bounce to her step and the troubling storm was temporarily forgotten. If there was anything Inez enjoyed, it was a good conversation. "And you, how is it you come to be here on my island, cher? Oh don't worry, I share. Is a nice place, no? The floods, don't let them worry you. Usually, it's just the spring time that it floods, but the mage storms aren't good. 'Orrible, oui?"

"Oh!" She clasped her hands to her chest, "I have just remembered again that you are an elf. I am so excited for to meet you! And how do you like that? To be an elf, it must be grand. The stories, they all make you sound so lovely, my cheri!"

"Elves? Ye've never met an elf before?" Dart asked, surprised, "Then again, I s'ppose that's ta be expected, judging by where ye're livin'. Ye won't see much o' the world livin' on a deserted island. Well, withou' the 'elp o' magic anyways. But then again, I s'ppose ye 'ave that." Dart laughed, his old jollyness returning.

"I'm probably not the best specimen fer my race. All scrawny and that kind o' thing. Keke, though, the passed out girl, is very sophisticated. I think she's even royalty, although I can't quite remember. She's lost 'er memory right now, so she can't tell ya much. Elves are mostly just like 'umans, 'cept with better ears n' eyes. Granted, o' course, we don't tend ta get very big. Oh, and most importantly we got pointed ears." Dart brushed his matted hair out of the way to show his own ears. I should get my 'air cut sometime.

Banned

" Hmm, another magic-user on this island, maybe that might have affected the spell. Jeez is it really that hard to find a secluded island in the whole wide world. Well, maybe I'll find one later. I should set up a magic flare."
    He scanned the ground for the spell components.

"But it's not deserted!" Inez giggled, "I live here."

She twirled in a circle and giggled at her fellow mage, "What for you want a secluded island anyway, cher? It's much more fun with people! Especially elves. And I wouldn't say you were necessarily scrawny, friend elf, I think you look alright to me, darlin'."

"Me? Not scrawny?" Dart was somewhat surprised, "This island might as well be deserted if there's nobody bigger than me 'ere. Ye should see Daerid, now 'e's-" Dart stopped and shuddered. He had forgotten about Daerid until just then, "Anyways, ye said ye're good at some magic. Do ye think ye could fix this bow for me?"

"I think you must be the only male I ever saw, except my daddy. Now daddy, he was scrawny. All bones and mustache." Inez twirled an imaginary mustache in her hands on either side of her head. "Now dis bow, how it get like this?"

She took the bow in both her hands and felt the wood. It vibrated with a foreign energy. "It's magic, oui? But the owner, she don't know how to use it. It don't like that none, no it don't. Cher Not one bit.”

Inez pressed the injured wood with her fingers. She molded the wood with her hands, and with fire and air. She pulled wood from a nearby tree, and sand from the ground using magic. It floated in a minuscule stream on a current of air to meld with the wood of the bow. “There you go, cher. Fixed, but not as good as new. No, not quite. It works, and the magic, it wants to be used. Don't you forget it.”

Banned

" Now, I belive I could help with breaking that bow in. Imps make good target pratice, would you like me to summon one?"

"Well 't's not my bow, so I think I'll leave it's 'andlin' ta Keke," Dart said, "Thank fer repairin' that bow, I don't know 'ow I would 'ave paid back Keke." Dart held on to the bow, not sure when he should return it.

"Keke, she that one what is out like a candle in a hurricane? Oh, she's sleeping pretty soundly, that one. Maybe it's cause of that bump on the head, eh cher?" Inez eyed the mage, "My daddy, he didn't like it to summoned the imps, no he didn't. He said its doing the devil's work for him, that. He made the spirits come and guard things though, he did.

"One time, he got this fat old spirit from a graveyard far away to come and guard a music making box what he stole from the king. The ghost, he went crazy! He blew up the box. What I'm saying is, you have to be careful. Don't summon anything to large to handle, oui?" She nodded enthusiastically, "It's funny how that works out sometimes, non?"

Banned

"See, thats why I would like to find a secluded island. If somthing goes awry, none others will pay for it. It's just common morality to do so."

"But then, what if it got lose and there was no other mage around what to defeat it? Then what, cher? See, this is why mages should work in pairs. I tell you what, if you ever need for to summon an imp, just have me there! I am certain sure I can take care of it, oui?"

Banned

"Having a lose summon is no problem as long as there are the correct enchantments on the island. But I suppos having another mage on an island is no problem so long as they have a way to contact eachother."

"Then why should it matter if there is someone on the island, cher?" Inez asked, wide blue eyes blinking in confusion.

Banned

"Because, when you lose control of a summon, it goes batshit insane. Magical barrier enchantments can contain it indefinetly."

"So why should it matter if there is someone else on an island, if you have a barrier around the summon?" She titled her head to the side. "I mean, if the barrier contains it, then what's wrong with the presence of others in a different vicinity. What you need, Mr. Mage, is a tower!"

Inez giggled and clapped her hands, having solved a problem.

Meanwhile...

Ervan and Hart were carrying Keke with the rest of the group.

... I need to write more.

Ed.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast