Thread: Jaws of Darkness Deux - IC thread

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Default Jaws of Darkness Deux - IC thread

NPC: It was laughable. It really was. Who did these ruffians think they were? They had no talent, no skills, they were too old to mutate. Did they think they could just walk in expecting to be put into the Order of Shadows? Really, it was laughable. So Dannik Jerriko, Lord of Shadows, King of the Order, Ruler of the Southern Lands, laughed deeply and maliciously. He gazed at the man who had come before him, "So, you think you can join the Order, eh?"

"Y-yes sir, Lord Jerriko," replied the mercenary. Jerriko looked the man over. He did have some build of muscle, and his reflexes were better than average, but that was it. The men he led were similar in stature. Jerriko knew the real reason they wanted to join anyways. Their country had resisted in a pathetic attempt for "freedom", so Jerriko wiped out the entire nation. The only way for these men to be saved was to join the Order itself. The man was scared, he knew Jerriko wasn't a being of pity. Still he had guts, "S-sir, if you could just test us, maybe..."

"Very well!" cried out Jerriko, in an ironic tone of joy, "Mantax, test this dear fellow." From behind Jerriko stepped Mantax, his right-hand man. Mantax was an oddity, warped by magic many ages ago to have qualities similar to a manta-ray. Jerriko had taken him in for his wise-judgement and speed, which Mantax had just demonstrated by rushing forward and biting the man, sending paralyzing venom into the man's blood. Jerriko cocked his head.

"Oh, too slow, but I admire the courage," Jerriko commented, "How about this? I'll spare your families from the destruction that your nation faces. But in return..." Jerriko smirked, although it could not be seen under his dark hood, "In return, I'll take you for some experiments."

The men gasped. One even screamed and ran, but Mantax ran up and paralyzed him as well. "Your fates are sealed, gentlemen. Might as well go easily."

Chess sighed listlessly. How long was she going to have to wait? Sitting in a drafty hallway, she shivered from the chill. It was cold, and she was wearing only a thin white dress and delicate kid slippers. The remainder of her possessions had been confiscated at her arrest, up to and including her jacket, which she felt was a bit harsh considering she had only been taken for attempted stealing.

The enormity of the vaulted ceiling dwarfed the girl, making her appear waiflike. The dark wood of the walls and bench seemed to leech the color from her already pale complexion. Her large expressive eyes sparkled like multifaceted gems, glistening first one color and then another entirely. On occasion they seemed to change with her mood, but now they shifted sporadically, taking on every shade of the rainbow and unsurprisingly, looking a bit annoyed.

Chess crossed her arms and glowered at the guard across from her. If she seemed a bit sulky, that would be because she was. She was incredulous that she had been caught breaking in, and furthermore she could not conceive that she was taken as a lousy thief. If she had intended to burgle the palace, there would be nothing left!

“I have need of the facilities.” She said coldly.

Her single guard snorted a laugh, “Well, that's just too bad for you now, innit missus?”

Wrong tactic, she assumed, changing her tone entirely.

“I believe you must have misunderstood me. I only meant that I have need of the privy. As in, I must...” Blushing, Chess trailed off.

“Oh, I gotcha perfect. I just don't give a wiz.” He snorted at what he thought was great humor.

A mop of white hair covered her head and trailed down her back, ending well past her behind. As she turned her eyes away from the guard a strand fell across her face and she lifted a hand to push it back. Her bottom lip began to quiver and tears filled her large eyes. Blinking rapidly, she bit her bottom lip and concentrated on looking harmless and helpless as a lamb being led to the slaughter...

Of course, she could easily take the one guard, but how many stood between her and freedom? She was without her knives and her psychic talents were always unreliable at best. So she appealed to her feminine side, she planned on appearing harmless and intended to negotiate her way out of the sticky situation.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

IC: Dravis gazed into space, bored out of his skull. Next thing to do: Make a judiciary branch. Indeed, Dravis should make some judges. Deciding over every criminal trial was not only un-efficient but he thought it might be the only thing that would bring a Shade to suicide, and that took a lot. I wonder if Jerriko ever gets bored? Perhaps thats why he commits such heinous acts, because he is bored. Dravis's dark side tugged at his mind again. No, he does it because it is the only rational course of action, don't you see? Jerriko only wants to bring unity to the universe. You, however, would make a much better ruler. Dravis sigehd and brushed it off. He also brushed off his concience. Their bickering was ceaseless. Still, it probably made him a good judge. Bought that's what the conflict was in the first place.

"NEXT!" Dravis finally called out as his thoughts left him. The court-bailiff walked in, "The next one is a girl, very pale skin, though she won't give us her name. Accused of attempted theft."

"Very well, bring her in."

Chess marched dutifully behind the guard, trying to hide her sulkiness and appear biddable. When she was ushered into the judiciary chamber she cast down her eyes and concentrated on being meek. Humility in the face of a greater power shouldn't have to be feigned, but it was. She was in possession of a completely bloated sense of self worth.

As she walked toward the man sitting alone on the throne-like chair in the center of the back wall, something about the way he sat tugged at her memory. There was definitely something familiar in him, his posture, the proud tilt of his head... It was quite odd. She couldn't begin to fathom from where she could know him, so she pushed it out of her mind.

To appear fragile, she shrugged her dress off of one shoulder and pouted her lips slightly. Extending her dainty wrists in their dark metal shackles she said with wide eyes, “Please, your greatness, please, can't you have them remove the chains? Surely one so excellent as you can feel no threat in a mere woman such as I.

“All these precautions are quite unnecessary, I assure you. Now that I have seen the one who holds me captive, I am at no risk of flight.” Her voice fell low at the last, her eyes half lidded and her smile suggestive.

IC: "We'll remove the chains of precaution once the little unpredictable girl tells us her name and case, and isn't guilty," Dravis replied, "That is, if your claims are true."

Dravis found the girl strangely familiar. Her skin was so pale, and her face was so... shaded. Her white hair was unheard of for one her age, and the grace yet definition of her movements were dark and magic. Her voice had that quality that his own had, a dark and steady one, with the faint sound of snakes in the background. Could it be? No, that was much too unlikely. He decided to wait and see. But first...

"Alright, let us start off. Bring in the accuser! While we wait, what is your name and descent, young lady?"

Chess immediately went on the defensive. She bristled, almost physically, stiffening and staring down her nose at the impertinence of the lordling. "My name is Chess, but I am uncertain what that has to do with this little matter. I am innocent! Wrongful accusations brought against defenseless women should not be tolerated."

It was difficult to look regal with the oppressive black chains about her wrists, but she did a decent job of it. Lifting her hands in pleading, her chains rattling dramatically.

Concentrating all her effort, she pushed as much energy into her words as possible. Hopefully one of her little mind tricks would take effect and the little lord would feel the compulsion of her voice. "I demand that the case be dropped and my possessions returned immediately."

Dravis noticed that the girl's words were weaving magic into his ears. He smiled, His suspicions were correct. His good side popped out. Ah, species reunited. But his evil side differed. This is an oppurtunity for some fun. Dravis couldn't help but like the latter suggestion. Although he was somewhat surprised at the descent of his guest, he kept a straight face. Time to test this young one.

"Ah, but you didn't answer my question about descent. But no matter, let's move on, shall we?" Dravis stared intensly at the girl, "What's your age, young'un?"

"Where I come from it is considered rude to make so many demands while offering nothing. You will not but remove my shackles, while demanding answers to your ceaseless questions! What is this that you call me? Young one? I am certainly not much younger than you yourself." She smiled to take the sting from her words, "I have heard much about you, the streets buzz with talk of your deeds. Do not assume that I am ignorant."

"Thank you for answering my question, although not very accurately," Dravis replied, "Your age helps to assess your intelligence, skill, and experience. After all, I would find it much more likely that a girl at the age of 16 would steal than a girl at the age of ten. Does that assuage your burning curiosity? As a judge it is good to know as much information as possible in order to produce fair judgement. Now then, we are going to hold a fair trial" Dravis turned to the guard at the door, "Is the accuser ready?"

"Yes sir," replied the guard. He opened the door for the witness to walk in.

A shuffling middle-aged gnomish clerk ambled in, gold rimmed glasses perched on the end of his potato shaped nose. White hair grew in tufts on either side of his head and from his ears. His brown suit was worn and old, if well made and he had a scholarly look to him. He cleared his throat three times before he began, "Ahem, umm... I am Master Nory, accountant and historian. I was in the final repository of the histories, working late. The scrolls, they have to be preserved. There simply aren't enough hours... I need assistants, your honor. I need help! Our histories are crumbling, too much has been lost. There is never enough money... I need finances. I need...”

His eyes lost focus, and he seemed to shake himself, “Ahem, yes... Umm... The girl. She was breaking in. I was working late, I don't suppose she knew I would be there. No one usually is at that hour and the halls were darkened. I had but a single candle burning to read by, I was preserving gold, your honor. We are in desperate need of finances and assistance. And she! She was planning to steal what little there is, she was. I know she was, what other reason could she have for coming in the back way like that, when the door was locked? I know the door was locked. I locked it myself.”

“I am merely a refuge, seeking shelter from the gathering storm. It was raining, I was wet and cold and frightened.” She said, pleading with her eyes.

“Hmph!” said Master Nory, “You strap that hussy good, your highness, you show her no one steals from us and gets by with it.”

"I understand your pains in the matter of history, Master Norry, and Litenacht does not have much in they way of libraries," Dravis nodded, "I will put more funding into it. If you are such a prestigious historian, might I suggest joining the Commandos? They have the largest library in the universe, and your skills would be of great assistance.

"However, that is not the problem at hand," Dravis once again looked at the girl. Chess was what she was called? "Now, by this old man's account you were commiting robbery. However, I find it highly unlikely that anybody would find anything of much value - in gold," Dravis nodded to Master Norry, "In a library. Therefore I think it is safe to assume that this girl, Chess, was not committing robbery.

"But, this young girl entered an institution of public access without permission while it was closed. That is breaking and entering; and not just that, but breaking and entering against the state, a heinous crime. Circumstances may soften my sentencing, but you have still broken the law, young one," Dreavis stood up, "So, I sentence the accussed to 2 weeks of service for the state, and a 50 silver fine to be paid to poor old Master Norry here for making him worry so much for the fine being of his establishment. I declare this trial over."

Dravis liked quick trials, "Guard please bring this girl up to my room for further instructions on her duties. Master Norry, expect a government grant of 100 gold within the next week. The preservation of history is very important, I must say."

Master Nory blinked and dry washed his hands. More gold was necessary, and he was very grateful, but he had expected the thief to be flogged, or perhaps branded. This ruler was very lax it seemed. Oh well.

Chess nearly laughed. His chambers indeed. She could only begin to guess what it was he wished to discuss with her.

She walked meekly behind the guard, the shackles biting into the soft skin of her wrists. On one hand she was relieved that she would not be whipped as the little man had suggested, and on the other she would have been relieved to have gotten her punishment overwith. She had to get back to her people, and this delay would cost them.

When it occurred to her that the man had not even considered the fact that the great libraries connected to the palace and that easy entry to the royal chambers could be had from there she did laugh. The guard looked at her sharply, and she merely smiled back at him. She had gotten off easy, and it filled her heart with light.

Perhaps in her two weeks detention she would have the opportunity to kill Dravis she had been contracted to slay. She would angle to have her sentence filled in the royal palace, maybe as a chamber maid or scullery.

As they walked, she recognized the passage from the map she had obtained. She was being lead into the royal chambers, when they stopped before the very doors that she had marked as her target her breath caught in her throat. Could she be that lucky?

“You wait in there, and don't you take nothin', you hear?” barked her guard.

“Of course, sir guard. Thank you.” She said politely as he closed the door behind her.

Smiling, she looked around and settled in to wait for the judge.

IC: Dravis took off his robes in the changing room behind the court and got into his much more comfortable tunic. He replaced his sheath at his side, with his Shade sword sheathed fittingly. He also put on his boots, but took the knife out of the inner pocket. I have plans for you.

Dravis walked up to his own quarters with haste. He was excited to see another of his race, although he wasn't very pleased with her manners. She must have lost the Shades at a very young age, being so rude and obnoxious. Didn't she know the Shade creed? Rule 47: If authority is apparent, obey it unless there are extreme circumstances. Evidently she had lost the Shades in at least her teens, since that was how she was stuck. With the loss of the Royal Stone and the magic within, Shades ceased to age; which was a mixed blessing, since its destruction also meant an extreme loss in the magical abilities of Shades, which they surmised was much better than some shoddy immortality.

Dravis walked up to his door. "The prisoner is in, milord. Would you like some privacy?" the guard at the door asked.

Dravis smiled, he knew what the guard meant, "Yes, please, Gina." Let them make rumors. This girl's self-esteem needs some toning-down.

Dravis walked into the room and shut the door. There was the girl, standing in the middle of the room. She had this air of impatience that Dravis found obnoxious, but also compelling. Again, he could not shake the feeling of close familiarity. This girl wasn't somebody he just walked past on the street one day. No, she was somebody special. And it was time for Dravis to find out who.

"Hello, Ms., erm, 'Chess', was it?" Dravis spoke with a smirk, his eyes showing a hidden "I know something you don't know", "I suppose you will be my pawn for the next little while. Sit down, have some wine. Don't be shy. The First Citizen Dravis is hospitable to his guests, even if they might be criminal offenders."

Dravis sat down and took out a glass. He poured himself a glass of red wine from a bottle he summoned from the other side of the room. He didn't suspect the girl would be impressed by this, he only wanted to make it evident that he was proficient in magic, something for her to at least take into account. Dravis poured the girl her own glass.

"Now then, my dear, please inform me - what is it exactly that you have heard about me?" Dravis asked. He gave another wicked smirk.

Chess laughed when the man called her his pawn, oh if he only knew. To think she had fallen into the lap of Dravis. If he had any intimation that it spelled his demise, he might not be so amused with her.

"Oh, my lord, very few men have called me shy!" said Chess.

She giggled, quirking her brow when the wine floated across the room, seemingly on air. But she could see the finely woven strands of magic lifting it. Impressive, but at the same time... She found herself struggling not to shrug.

"Now then, my dear, please inform me - what is it exactly that you have heard about me?" Dravis asked. He gave another wicked smirk.

"I know quite a lot about you, but no one hinted that you were so devilish." She said, her voice taking on a sultry tone. Gliding across the room, her hips swayed suggestively and she packed as much heat into her gaze as she could. "Must we be so formal?" She purred, sitting on his knee and putting her still shackled arms behind his head. In a teasing tone, she went on, "Is there any reason you left me cuffed? Do you truly fear me so?"

That familiarity tugged at the back of her mind again, and she couldn't begin to think why it almost felt as though she had done this before, when she was much younger, shorter...

It was so odd. Teasing him felt... normal. Nothing had felt normal in such a long time... Suppressing a sigh, she struggled to keep the coquette's grin on her face and merriment in her eye. It had been such a very long time since she had felt anything like regret for her lost kin, but in that moment she missed her past life, as she often referred to it.

"Come now, you can trust little ol' me. Won't you be a big strong man and take these nasty chains off my wrists?"

She enjoyed teasing him so well that she might actually almost regret killing him. Almost.

"Oh, there is a reason I have left you cuffed, miss informal," replied Dravis. He put his hands in his pocket, "It is because of the things you can do with this," Dravis pulled out his knife, "You don't think a benevolent ruler like myself is ignorant of everything, do you? The leader of the infamous Knives of Darkness goes missing, and I end up with a little shade girl that fits the description?

"I'm no idiot, I can put two and two together," Dravis took the girl's hands off his neck and stood up, "Yes, I know a shade when I see one, although your little mind tricks gave it away. It is most probable that you know that I am one too, if the name wasn't a dead give-away. Still, I am overjoyed to see another of my race." Dart took out his sword and cut through the girl's chains like butter.

"Now, then, you never answered my question," Dravis looked the girl in the eyes, "What is your name?"

At a loss, Chess stared as he cut through her shackles. She swallowed hard, and blinked a few times, taken aback. As far as bracelets go, the cuffs weren't exactly her style, but it was better than being chained. Nothing kept her off balance for long, and she recovered her equilibrium quickly, "My name is Chess. At least, it has been for a very long time. Before that I was called Francesca, or Franny."

Straightening her posture, she dropped the act of coquette and frowned openly at the impertinent man, "And for the record, I had no idea that you are what I am. How could I, when I was under the impression that we were all dead? If I had known I would have never accepted the contract on your head. Do you realize how much you are worth, dead?"

It was her strictest policy never to mix with politics. She would take a contract on anyone at any time, if the sum was correct. Chess could be very practical where her work was concerned, but she spoke the plain truth when she said she would have turned away his hit. It would have been the first one she had ever turned down, but she would have still.

"And if you knew all this, then why the silly little trial?" she demanded hotly, finishing in her mind, ...and if you know what I am capable of, then why didn't you kill me where I stood?

"Hmmm? Franny? Little Franny? Why, that makes you my sister," Dravis stared at his sister, "I suppose that means no propogation of the species. Oh well, it is still nice to see you again. You were so young when I last saw you..." Dravis could barely remember then, it was 200 years ago. Or something like that. Whatever it was, it was an old memory, back when Shades still existed.

Dravis turned around, his back to Franny, "Whether or not you had a contract on my head is insignificant, your ability with knives, as I had heard, was excessive, but you were too young to unlock your magical potential," Dravis turned around again, "And as I remember it you sucked at swordplay, lil' sis."

"Well, that leaves you at a crossroads, Franny," he walked up to her, "I am too old for emotions. My mind can't allow it anyways, the way it is split up now. All I feel is hate and pity. You, on the other hand, have a chocie to fulfill your happiness. You can go lead that mercenarious band of yours, the Knives of Darkness. On the other hand," Dravis walked over to nightstand and picked up a long scroll of paper, "There is currently an opening for my personal battalion. The last one was, unfortunately, wiped out by Jerriko on a mission. If your gals would like to come under my hire for the time being, I would be honored."

"I don't see why that should stop us, the future of the species relies on us." She said seriously, eyes wide before she burst out in laughter. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I have no desire to be your brood mare."

She considered his proposal for a long moment before she went on, "I have freedom now. My own space, my own money. We are free, no one messes with us. If we joined you, then you would expect us to bow and scrape left and right, we would be little more than servants. Is that not so?"

Dravis walked up to the girl again, "Well I would provied health and dental, and many of the guards are unionized."

OOC: Couldn't resist

OOC: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA zOMG

OOC: Let's redo this

IC: Dravis walked up to Franny, "So you want freedom? Whereas I can provide better living quarters, food, and pay? Well, I suppose that is an admirable trait, to be sure. Freedom can be a good thing to have.

"However, I am giving you the oppurtunity to fight for freedom. Not your own, but for other's," Dravis went on, "As my personal battalion you will be performing guerrilla operations, fear tactics, espionage, and even thievery. You will become Jerriko's numebr one opposition, the symbol and actor of everything that goes against the tyranny he holds. As my personal battalions, you will be fighting for not only your freedom, but all future freedom."

Dravis walked away once again and sat down on his bed, "I wish I could sahre some more humors with you, and bond as siblings once again. But I can't. I have emotions that are gone, and a kingdom to look after. However, as my right-hand man, er, woman, you would be alongside me most of the time. I am sure spending time with your long lost older brother must provide some motivation."

"Think about it. I will give you until tomorrow. As for the time being, you may exit through the front door. Tell the guardsman 'The spirit of Kaan walks the tornado.' He'll understand," Dravis picked up his scroll and once again began reading it. ight next to the blank spot where their once resided the name of his right-hand man he wrote Francesca Duchesne.

Chess silently walked to the door. With her hand on the knob, she paused. She very nearly turned to say something, some words of good will to show that she was glad to have regained her lost family. But he had been so cold... Squaring her shoulders, she pushed the door open and strode confidently though.

“The spirit of Kaan walks the tornado.” she said to the guard standing outside.

“Of course it does,” He replied, with a lopsided grin. “Enjoy your time with the boss.”

“Oh yes, as it would turn out, he's my long lost brother and has offered me a position as an elite commander.” She smiled.

The guard laughed openly, “Course he did, well then, right this way missus.”

“Where are we going?”

“I guess you'll see when we get there, won't you?” He grinned maliciously.

Crossing her arms, she walked a few steps behind the guard sulking. They walked for quite some time, winding through the hallways. They made so many turns that she nearly lost her way, she suspected anyone else might have been lost completely. They walked down a narrow, dark stone stairway and into a long dank hallway lined with cells on either side.

“Why...”

“In with you then.” He said, standing before the first cell.

Chess peered inside. A thin straw packed mattress lay crookedly in the back, it was covered with filth. It was still raining outside and a steady drip fell into a metal cup from the tiny barred window at the back.

“There's a window.”

“You'll get a lovely view, no doubt.”

“I'm a Shade.

“That would be my problem, 'ow?” He asked, that same crooked grin on his face. “Now in, or I shove you. I've no time for this.”

“I cannot tolerate sun-” Chess began, but was cut off as the guard shoved her into the grimy cell.

The gears of the lock squealed and clanked as he turned the key, locking her in.

“I won't stand for this, I've already told you that I'm the sister to your lord, and that-” She began, but cut off when she realized she was talking to the guards retreating back.

Sighing, Chess sank to the floor of the cell. Though it was dirty, she had no desire to touch the disgusting mattress. Was there a rule somewhere that stated that all dungeon cells had to be nasty? Why couldn't they be clean and neat?

IC: Gina walked into the room, "The prisoner is secured, sir!"

"In the cell with the sunlight, correct?" asked Dravis, smirking.

"Yes sir!" replied Gina.

"Good work, Gina. You can have the rest of the day off," Gina turned to leave, "Oh, one more thing, Gina. Could you please bring me the scrying pot? I'd like to speak with Jorj."

"Yessir!"

NPC: I came out of the trance, but already knew what happened. I looked over Qennto's body, sobbing. Jorj stopped writing and looked up. There was the serving-boy looking as resolute as ever. He was very proud of his service in the Commandos. Jorj couldn't expect less. After all, his father was Jorj's lead general.

"Dravis is on the scryer, sir!" the boy almost shouted.

"Thank you, child. But please, try to keep your voice down. This is a library, after all," Jorj got up and dismissed the boy. He walked out of the library and down the hold, entering the scrying room. It was rather small and had this distinct smell of seagull feces, emanating from the window the room had. He grimaced. He wished he had not been forced to take up the sea life. Of course, Dravis had offered up residence, but Jorj turned t down. He didn't like some of Dravis's methods.

"You wanted to speak to me, Dravis?" Jorj asked, looking over the pot's otherwise clear water.

"Yes, Jorj, I was just wondering if you might be able to give me the former plans of Rhysode's lay-out," Dravis replied, "I am going to venture there soon, and the plans will be quite helpful in getting rid of the advantage Jerriko's operatives there currently hold."

"Dravis, you know I don't agree with some of your goals. I'm sure you'd understand when I ask what your mission is," Jorj said. He gave Dravis a look of contempt.

"Well, remember that other locket?" Dravis asked.

"Why yes, I do. Tell me more," Jorj replied, listening with interest.

Chess huddled against the wall under the window as the first grey rays of early morning light filtered through the bars. She had a few hours at best, before they reached her. She was fascinated with the patterns the sunlight made on the floor of her cell. Impassively, she watched the sun rise through the reflection of it's light on the stone tiles.

Dravis woke up. He had a nice sleep, albeit short one. He remembered when He didn't have to sleep at all. The good old days. He got out of bed. Now what was it that I needed to do today? He looked around his room to notice the parchment he had written on the night before. Ah, yes. He picked it up and took not of the name he had written down.

He opened up the door to his room and walked out, carrying his parchment with him. "Good morning Gina. Have a nice sleep?" he asked his guard.

"Oh yes, lord Dravis," replied the man.

"Had our prisoner made any attempts at escape?"

"No sir, she's been curled up in the corner the entire time," Gina chuckled.

"I'm rather disapointed," Dravis said. He walked along to the holding cells. There was the girl except now she looked nervous, and Dravis could see why. The sunlight was moving along at a steady rate towards her prone skin. He also stepped out of the path of the light. He put up his hood and turned around.

"Good morning Franny, enjoying your stay?" Dravis said, a smirk she could not see appearing on his face, "Pardon me for not talking to you face to face, but you know how we are with sunlight.

"The time has come for you to make your decision, little sis," Dravis continued, "I won't hold it against you if you decline my offer. Just remember, you are a prisoner of the state no matter what for the next two weeks. I'd suggest making the choice that allows you to wear a hood."