Thread: An RP for Dummies

Default An RP for Dummies

H'okay. So, it's been a while since I've RPed, so I thought I'd host a really really really simplified RP. Meaning, there is no huge blocky paragraphs of doom. This is really a lightweight RP. It's really not serious. At all. I had a Star Wars version of this running with some friends once. The conclusion? One guy ended this skirmish on a planet by crashing his spaceship into the last remaining Sith on the planet.

[Bee tee dubbs, this is not the Wonderland RP I was talking about]

Here's how this goes down. Each person has a character other than I. I am the DM, pretty much. You get two actions a turn. Before these two actions, though, I roll a d20. This is a combined Movement and Luck (ish) roll. Basically, if you roll high, you can move further and are more likely to succeed in actions.

After the first roll, you have your two actions. One of these may be used for movement if you wish, or you can just do two actions. If you're doing anything other than moving, a d20 is rolled.

For those not familiar with how basic dice systems work, the higher the number, the better. Natural 20 means you're pretty much set. Natural 1... you're screwed.

I think that's all there is to the mechanics. Now for the plot, which will be in the post below once I get off my ass and write it.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Hokay. You are in a castle. There is a king sitting on his throne, looking at you all expectantly. To the left is a door. To the right is another door. Behind you is the way you came in.

So, as for information, first posts require race, class, and name, and perhaps what you have equipped. You are not perfectly equipped, but you have some items on you. You do not need a history or anything. Your personality will show in your actions. Order will be determined by order of first posts.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

What is movement measured in? Like, if I get a 1, can I move one step?

It's distance relative to the situation. If you're travelling across the country, 1 would be 1 mile or something. It's not completely set in stone. Just think, like, with a 20, you can move pretty far, with a 1, not so much.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

I'm game (no pun intended). Any chance we'll need D6s too?

Name: Godfrey
    Race: Human
    Class: Thief
    Equipment: Small knife, leather greaves, stitched leather shoes, linen shirt, silver fork (stolen), several coins (stolen).

Why yes I did steal from the king. Why not?

Ed.

So basically 1 is you get attacked on all sides and thrown in the dungeon with gay guys and 20 is you kick everyones ass and beome a pimp?

So you will have to roll this die before each and everypost? How will that work and who will give us this info? PM?

Are you using an actual campaign or just godmodding all the characters?

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

There's an actual campaign I have in mind, but a lot of it will be shaped by the players' actions.

Kirby, essentially, once I get a list of players, the order will go from top to bottom. So say Ervan, you, and Keke joined. At the start of the game, I'd give Ervan's roll right off the bat. Based on the roll, he might decide on an action. I roll for that, give the results. He then makes another action. I roll for that, give the results.

Along with that last post, I'll also give the next player's first roll.

Just to say, this is not in all likelihood going to be a fast game. It's a chill game, and anyone can join.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Name: Cassielle
    Race: Human Noble
    Class: Assassin
    Equipment: Silk dress, kid slippers, satin gloves, sapphire tiara, matching bracelets, ring, earrings and necklace, small daggers hidden about her person.

I plan to roll as either the king's daughter, or his adversary's daughter. Whichever fits better with the story.
    Last edited by Keke Le Cat; 02-21-2010 at 10:40 PM.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Oh my god it's a horse with a woman growing out of its spine!

Ed.

Banned

Name: Jason
    Race: Human
    Class: Paladin
    Equipment: Head to toe Iron amour, large warhammer.