Thread: There will be blood.

Default There will be blood.

With the golden sun nearly at it's zenith, the white-lacquered coach clattered to a halt outside the ornate arching doors of Caisleán Bhaile Átha Cliath, or as the humans called it, Dublin Castle. The four matched snowy white horses nickered and stomped, pleased to at last be still.

Camilla and Aillil Kelsy sat on opposite sides of the coach, an uneasy silence had long since settled between them. As with so many other things, Camilla did not agree with her father's decision to travel to Dublin to take up residence there. She felt it was foolhardy and asking for betrayal. The treaty that had been signed was not worth the paper it was written on if either party opted to break it, and placing themselves in harms way proved nothing by her way of thinking.

“Father, I beg you, can we not return home?” Camilla implored. “We take needless risk.”

Bright blue eyes the color of the sky stared steadily into hers, glaring his displeasure down a hook-like nose. It was clear that they had discussed the subject previously, repeatedly. Looking at him, Camilla was grateful that he had not taken to the British fashion of wearing curled powdered wigs. His thick mane of white hair contrasted brilliantly where it brushed against his green cravat. The whiteness of his square trimmed beard was stark against the swarthy tone of his tanned skin. Smiling suddenly as though something amusing had occurred to him, Ailil wordlessly knocked on the door, signaling the driver that they were ready to emerge.

The golden haired coachman in his white coat striped with blue and green hopped down and rushed to open the carriage door. The white, blue and green sigil of House Kelsy adorned the door panel, a gold embossed lion stood at the forefront, a jet falcon soared over it's back, talons preparing to slash into the back of the lion rampant.

Camilla poked her head out of the door, without waiting for Aillil. Straightening her blue linen summer traveling cloak, she looked around at the bustling courtyard. It was abuzz with scurrying humans and elves alike. They crowded together, struggling against the tide of humanity hoping to gain a peek at the noble retinue as they descended from their carriages.

“Make friends, Camilla. We are allies.” Ailill said to her back, “Can you not at least try? Is that so unreasonable a request to make?”

Ignoring him, the toe of a delicate green kid slipper peeped from beneath the gold edged hem of her shimmering dark green silk gown as Camilla stepped down. The light glinted off her pale hair, so blond that it was nearly white. Her hair was not elaborately done in upsweeps of curls as was that of the other women of high rank, it ended almost harshly at the shoulder in a straight line. Slim and petite, she stood at only 5”1 tall. At first glance she might appear younger than her seventeen years, but her lush figure quickly disallowed any such notion. One who studied her long could easily see the weight of knowledge in her hard almond shaped emerald eyes. She had seen death, carnage and war her entire life and while she might not have the wisdom of years she had harsh knowledge plainly written on her features.

A delegation of nobles waylaid Ailill, falsely assuming him to be Regent, and while he was busy shaking hands and returning bows, Camilla took in her first sights of Dublin. The smells, colors and textures of the city fascinated her. She was so very pleased to be one of the first to at last reclaim it for all of elven kind.

Elves sworn to House Kelsy stepped out of five identical carriages, and more road horses along side. All were dressed in the colors of House Kelsy. Green for the earth, Blue for the sky at dusk, and White for the purity of the Light. The Honor Guard boasted more than 30 well trained elves, including two priests. As she glanced at one, Daerid rushed forward. He was ever over-eager to help.

“I trust you journeyed well, my lady.” said Daerid, his black eyes shining with the joy of speaking to her. His long black hair spread over his ivory cloak, the golden sun embroidered on the breast of his dark green coat indicated he was a Priest of Freyr and of the Light.

“As well as can be expected over such rutted and pitted roads, Daerid.” Sighed Camilla.

“A bird could not make an easy way across these roads, not in a carriage. We will have to see that they are repaired.” He smiled even wider, as though he were being included in the reconstruction of Dublin city.

It was all she could do to keep from shaking her head and rolling her eyes. Any holy priest could be a trial, but Daerid seemed more burdensome than most as of late.

Looking around, human nobility filled the arched entryway, supposedly eager to greet their new elven allies. The Lords and Ladies were arrayed in a thick half circle, smiling falsely and dropping half curtsies and bows all around. All were dressed in their finest and dripping with jewels. Not a lady among them was without a tiara and tower of curls, the men were nearly as overdone themselves. The thick crowd gave way to Camilla as she marched forward with Daerid trailing behind her like a lost child.

“My Lady are you certain that we should...” Daerid began, but she stopped listening almost immediately.

One yellow gowned, lace ruffed woman in a high tower of curls, drew her skirts away a bit too assiduously and Camilla paused to look at her. Merely that. The woman cringed back, a painted lip snarling slightly. Briefly, Camilla imagined herself shaving the other woman bald, and when that didn't do it, the thought of wiping the woman's blood from the small jeweled dagger she had at her belt made her smile. I don't get mad, I get even, she thought, smiling.

“My lady, I do not believe that we have met. I am Lady Camilla Kelsy, Heir to the Broken Crown and Regent to the King while he is indisposed at Tara.” said she, dropping her first curtsy of the day and extending a gloved hand for the woman to take.

“I... Um...” The woman blinked several times before proper manners forced her to take the proffered hand and curtsying in return. “High Lady Aleitha Denoan.”

“A pleasure.” replied Camilla, “I will be certain to remember you when I hold court.”

Aleitha maintained her crooked smile, but she turned an unlikely shade of green. The alliance wasn't so strong that past hatreds were completely forgotten. The woman had likely lost child, husband or father to elven swords during the war, but that made no difference to Camilla. She had been slighted openly in public, and revenge would be hers. Eventually. Planning it would be a welcome distraction.

At last, Ailill had broken away from the well meaning men and caught up to the errant heir. He caught her arm to slow her progress.

“What was that about?” He whispered, smile glued to his face as he looped his arm through that of his daughter.

“I was only making friends, father. Is that not what you instructed me to do?” She smiled so sweetly and innocently that the lie was apparent.

He looked doubtful. “That woman is old enough to be your mother, possibly your grandmother.”

“I do not discriminate against the aged and decrepit. Aren't you proof of that?”

His only response was a dry chuckle.

Camilla continued to hold her most sweet smile as they approached the Viceroy and his Knights. He immediately launched into a long speech of welcome, explaining verbosely how honored he was to give his castle up to them and retreat to his little fort.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

An unspecified time before Keke's post...

A dark and mysterious knight sat upon a horse with glowing red eyes in the dark night fog by a mysterious and supposedly cursed river, all of which conspired to maintain his reputation as a dark and mysterious knight who sat upon his horse, which had glowing red eyes according to most, in the dark night fog by mysterious and most likely cursed rivers. It was this reputation that was his reason for being there, and where there was will be established shortly, but not right now. A raven flew overhead muttering to itself about the association of large black birds with mysterious figures, and the moon did its best to remain partially concealed behind the swiftly moving clouds in order to prolong the menacing scene for as long as possible. Wolves howled, witches cackled, and farmers considered moving south, where the nights tended to be more friendly to those wishing to sleep.

Finally the moon ran out of clouds to hide behind and shone fully upon the knight, reflecting off of his armour. His horse began to walk slowly back to the road the knight had momentarily diverted himself from, the road that would soon lead to Dublin, it being but a few feet away.

The knight was known to many as The Darker Knight. His reputation had superseded that of The Dark Knight some years ago, and the latter had become increasingly more violent and dangerous until he had suddenly died of a heart attack caused by severe stress.

The city guards considered their options as he approached. On the one hand this was exactly the kind of thing they were supposed to guard against. On the other, he looked obscenely dangerous. They both ran into the guard house and barred the door.

The horse made its way slowly to the palace, glaring menacingly at any windows along the way. Having made it to the steps the knight dismounted and began climbing them. He was fairly sure that there were more than was necessary, and also fairly sure that there were more than was aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps elves just liked stairs. Finally making it to the top the knight paused for breath, leaning against a column. Composing himself he entered the castle and gave the steward the fright of his life.

The highest ranking human nobles followed the elven party into the castle, and stayed to listen as the Viceroy nattered on and on. Camilla watched the human woman Aleitha Denoan carefully. She was a slender, lovely woman, with long dark hair stacked on her head and cascading down her back in a waterfall of curls. A tall woman, though Camilla would have to admit she tended to judge these things based on her own hight, and rather full bosomed.

The elves were not a tall people, and she was considered short even among them. Daerid with his immense hight and dark hair was a great rarity and said to be a child of Freyr. Well, they were all the children of Freyr, his creation, but Daerid was said to be His actual bloodborn kin.

By her estimation, Aleitha could not be nearly as old as her father assumed, though it was always hard to judge such things in humans. If they were much above puberty Camilla had difficulty telling their age. She was certain humans had the same trouble with elves. Perhaps with exposure to the race, she would be able to better ascertain their ages.

Camilla realized that all eyes were on her, and she couldn't think why. She was certain that she had been utterly quiet in her contemplation of the humans gathered there. They were such a different race, and strange in their... Her father cleared his throat, “Ahem.”

“What?” She asked, looking back at him. Perhaps she should have listened to the human talk... “Oh.” She said, remembering at last, “On behalf of all elves, I, High Lady Camilla Zarine Kelsy, thank you, Viceroy...” She couldn't think of his name, what was his name? “Umm... for the warm welcome. Truly, you honor me.”

When her father cleared his throat again, she thought fast and went on, “As Daughter Heir of the Broken Crown it is my duty and privilege to act as Regent for the King. On behalf of House Kelsy and all Elven kind, I accept the symbolical act of handing over the keys from the Viceroy of Dublin to the Regent of Dublin. I am extremely honored to accept the responsibilities that this trust has entitled to me.

“Allow me to assure you that in my activities I will be guarded by no other principles than those of humanism and morality. In my work as a Regent, I pledge to implement and develop the ideal of freedom to ensure adequate life for townspeople irrespective of their economic, political or social status.

“I am proud of the trust shown in me by both of our peoples, and I will justify it to the best of my competence and knowledge. Thank you, one and all for the welcome.

“May we move forward in a new era of freedom and peace, standing shoulder to shoulder to eradicate the enemy and restore the glory and honor of both our countries.” A smattering of half hearted applause circulated, and Camilla curtsied deeply. When she rose, she glanced at her father, who nodded proudly and motioned for her to exit.

Quickly and silently, Camilla followed the motion of her father's hand, though she had no idea where she was walking. Nervously, she hurried through the unfamiliar halls of the strange castle, attempting to lead the way while still following her father's direction. When she glanced over her shoulder, she realized she was alone and quite thoroughly lost.

She chewed her bottom lip worriedly, uncertain where to go or what to do.

Banned

Fiels walked in the back field of the castle. Barely any guards, this was to be expected. He snuck past the one guard. Fiels threw the rope on the ledge and started to climb up. On the ledge he must wait or the king. It didn't bother him, for he had waited longer for clients... or victims... heh.

He had lost his charge. Daerid could not believe it. Aillil, who stood just beneath the Creator himself, had instructed him to guard his daughter and heir while in Dublin and he had lost her on the first day. It was unconscionable, impossible... But somehow it had happened. Now to find her before Aillil found she was missing.

Daerid raked his hands through his long hair to push it out of his face and started down the nearest hall, scanning constantly for signs of Camilla. That reckless child will be the death of me yet.

He had pledged his life to her before even he knew what it meant, slicing his hand and swearing blood oath when he was barely old enough to hold his sword. He had stood over her cradle, the bright red blood dripping onto her pink blankets and downy white hair. Aillil had told him the words. My blood shed before hers, my life before hers, and now she is missing... Missing! This is all my fault. By the Light and all that is Holy I must find her.

Swallowing panic, he picked up his pace. Should he alert the guard and set them to search as well, or keep it quiet? Suddenly, Daerid missed the cloistered quietness of the Temple of Freyr where he had spent much of his life. There the hardest decision he had to make involved deciding which prayer to Freyr to utter at dawn and dusk. Freyr, guide me to her...

Ailill quietly slipped away from his entourage, and crept through the halls to the appointed meeting place, "Yes? What is it?" He hissed, his back to his target so as not to draw attention to their conversation.

Banned

"I understand that your country has a greenskin problem. Maybe I might be able to assist in the extermination of some of the creatures for you?"