Thread: The Large Hadron Collider

We at war with the army of haters And when we kill em we just smoke 'em like papers. Kelsh's Avatar

Default The Large Hadron Collider

Have any of guys heard of it? Crazy shit.
    if not, wiki or google it.

"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it."
    - Guatama Buddha

Everyone in the world has heard of it. I first heard about it in a news article that mentioned religious nutjobs who suddenly thought they were experts on science (lol) trying to get the LHC shutdown because they assumed without any basis whatsoever that if it was activated, it'd destroy the ENTIRE universe. Of course, no-one was buying their bullshit for two seconds and the lawsuit was thrown out by the courts along with the last shreds of credibility religion had.

The LHC is an amazing scientific and engineering achievement and if a few risks need to be taken to increase our knowledge and understanding of the universe, I say it's worth it. Where would we be if the first person to discover fire had abandoned it because burning down an entire forest is a risk? Something is only dangerous if handled wrongly by stupid people. Like religion.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

I've heard of it on Nat Geo, it's takes 2 atoms and sends then at over lightspeed and smashes them.

Here's the article

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator, intended to collide opposing particle beams of either protons at an energy of 7 TeV (1.12 microjoules) per particle, or lead nuclei at an energy of 574 TeV (92.0 microjoules) per nucleus. The term hadron refers to such particles that are composed of quarks. It is expected that it will address the most fundamental questions of physics, hopefully allowing progress in understanding the deepest laws of nature. The LHC lies in a tunnel 27 kilometres (17 mi) in circumference, as much as 175 metres (574 ft) beneath the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland.

The Large Hadron Collider was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) with the intention of testing various predictions of high-energy physics, including the existence of the hypothesized Higgs boson[1] and of the large family of new particles predicted by supersymmetry.[2] It is funded by and built in collaboration with over 10,000 scientists and engineers from over 100 countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories.[3]

On 10 September 2008, the proton beams were successfully circulated in the main ring of the LHC for the first time.[4] On 19 September 2008, the operations were halted due to a serious fault between two superconducting bending magnets.[5] Repairing the resulting damage and installing additional safety features took over a year.[6][7] On 20 November 2009 the proton beams were successfully circulated again,[8] On 23 November 2009, the first proton–proton collisions were recorded, at the injection energy of 450 GeV per particle.[9] On 18 December 2009 the LHC was shut down after its initial commissioning run, which achieved proton collision energies of 2.36 TeV, with multiple bunches of protons circulating for several hours and data from over one million proton-proton collisions. The LHC resumed operations in February 2010, but it will operate at 3.5 TeV per beam, only half of the design collision energy. In 2012 it will be shut down for the repairs necessary to bring it to its full design energy, and then it will start up again in 2013.[10]

On March 19, 2010, it was announced that protons have been accelerated to 3.5 TeV, the full energy planned for the next year.[11] This set a new world record for particle beam energy

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

It's become an integral part of layman's physics.

Wouldn't mind seeing it in real life

It was all over the news for a while... I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of it.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

embedding disabled by request. and I'm not going to youtube. so how do you embed youtube vids? it just shows up as ugly code when I try to do it
    Get jiggy with it, eternally.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

[-youtube] (Code at after the = in the URL) [/youtube-]

Take out the dashes. BBcode was just being infuriating

Thanks Solly

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Yeah, people at my school were wearing "Prepare for the Hadron Collider Blackhole!" shirts the day the scientists first turned it on.

I didn't believe anything would happen, but it was fun laughing at the people who did.

WOW! What losers they are. The people in my section were concerned about it too during that day. What a bunch of dumb-asses... :-\
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

ta is that you

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

hahaha I think it is

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Quote Originally Posted by Mariruri View Post
    Have any of guys heard of it? Crazy shit.
    if not, wiki or google it.

On another note. Kelsi, do you understand ANYTHING about what all that shit means.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

If she didn't, would she have started a thread about it?

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

Yes. Just look at Kirby.
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

Poor Kirby.

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

Ahh, Kirby's cool... His posts are (somewhat) getting better.
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

Quote Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
    If she didn't, would she have started a thread about it?
    yes

Well, she knew enough about it to find a picture of its ATLAS detector.

The ATLAS detector, in conjunction with its sister CMS detector, is the piece of equipment CERN will use to detect the presence of dark matter, if it exists (relativity says it should), as well as how particles gain mass and what lends mass its gravity and how this relates to energy itself. Additionally, particle physicists hope the LHC will reveal the presence of extra dimensions, into which scientists theorize gravity's force field spreads. This should explain gravity's notable weakness in comparison with the other forces of Nature. Also, fucking ANTIMATTER. Hell to the yes!