Thread: Is it Fun?

Default Is it Fun?

I'm bored of the shoddy battle thing. It doesn't really impress me. I mean, you plug in all the numbers, and then like most punk kids, go to Smogon and find the best Pokémon for a team and battle. Pokémon battles have become a lifeless thing and more of something that requires simple calculations.
    Sure I've lost matches... lots of matches on Shoddy, but that's not what I'm posting this.
    I've seen repeats of Pokémon and... well. It isn't fun. I might as well go through the motions if all I'm going to see are uncreative teams. And truth be told, there aren't really that many great Normal Pokémon. But oh well... that's on my part.

Eventual the handheld Pokémon games are going to end up to something similar. The signs are there and adding new Pokémon wont be the fix. Eventually there will be more and more Pokémon that will make previous Pokémon obsolete.

Game Freak needs to change the battle system drastically. And I mean a total change. The whole IV and EV training thing was a smart idea, it gave Pokémon a small depth of gameplay, but it was figured. And it was a cheap way to "add more gameplay."
    ----------------------------------------

What I'm proposing is that the battle system and the Pokémon themselves need unknown variables. Variables that no one can predict or calculate. With this unknown, any Pokémon will have a chance to win... though, there will still be obvious advantages.
    Normally, if a Caterpie fought against an Onix (both at the same level) the Onix will win over and over again. But imagine a battle system where a Caterpie can have a chance, depending on how you trained your Pokémon!

I'm saying a real time battle system and Pokémon with Artificial Intelligence (AI). Also, have it so that almost every move can be offensive or defensive (with the help of applying physics of sorts). Like a Metapod doing harden then a tackle.

But of course, this is way too much data to be put onto one cartridge or disk. And we're not going to see something that I invision for a real-real long time...
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

Thats not really conpetitive. Thats presisely why moves like sheer cold are banned. Why should some dewgong with a lucky day be able to kill of a Blissey? Its planning strategy. Personally I do find shoddy boring but its convenient.

I have no problem with preparing yourself, like for a marathon, but what would be the point to run the marathon if all you had to do is wear a shoe that made everyone run the exact same speed as yourself?
    You just give yourself a false hope of fun.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

In a marathon you don't battle each other to the death with your choice of items. Its not about how well you prepare its about your plan. If you where aloud to take shortcuts and ride on the back of cars in racing then it would be comparable.

Again it is boring since everyone does the same fucking thing and has the same 10 pokemon just arranged in a diferent order. Thats why I love NU tier becuase everything has a shot.

Banned

/\
    Missing the point of the analogy.

Shoddy cannot be compared to a marathon. It is just something that evens the playing field as far as training and opportunities. It makes the battle based on tactics instead of who happened to be around for a release of Mew or something, or happened to get lucky after breeding Pokemon for days to finally get one with the right Nature and the like.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Shoddy sucks
    derp

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by leo33wii View Post
    Normally, if a Caterpie fought against an Onix (both at the same level) the Onix will win over and over again. But imagine a battle system where a Caterpie can have a chance, depending on how you trained your Pokémon!

I'm saying a real time battle system and Pokémon with Artificial Intelligence (AI). Also, have it so that almost every move can be offensive or defensive (with the help of applying physics of sorts). Like a Metapod doing harden then a tackle.
    First thing I thought of was "PIKACHU! THUNDERBOLT TO RHYDON'S HORN!"

I've always thought that it'll be cool to have variations of the same move based on surroundings and pokemon nature. Like for Cut, maybe a Quirky Farfetch'd would interpret it as "CUT TWO BRANCHES OFF THAT TREE AND USE THEM AS TONFAS" instead of, y'know, cutting the opponent. Or 'dig' can be either 'dig in the ground to hide!' instead of always being 'dig in and resurface to surprise attack!'. I've never been part of the competitve battling arena because I battle with my favourites and choose personality based on...personality.

But this will never happen because based on evidence so far...Nintendo seems xenophobic to change. And I mean REAL change, not change the region/pokemon/villian/legendaries/graphics, which is just about all the changes that they do.