Thread: Can women be the lead singers of rock/metal bands?

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Can women be the lead singers of rock/metal bands?

I've always thought yes, but the sound would need to be modified sufficiently and you wouldn't be able to cover a lot of songs - your band would have to adopt a more classical approach. Even the most brutal and non-mellow of female singers have a hard time sounding as emotive and passionate as male singers, but perhaps if you modify your image and song choice appropriately... what do you think?

All the storms that I've seen are countless reasons not to believe T-RaT's Avatar

i think it can easily be done, look at Lacuna Coil and others they are already out there, i say and other because that is the only example i can think of atm that are guaranteed to be in that category, but i'm sure there are others

Life begins as a quest of the child for the man and ends as a journey by the man to rediscover the child.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Women can't sing about being horny, about getting girls, about drugs (because women just vomit and hallucinate spastically) and women can't scream in the same way that someone like Steve Tyler can.

All the storms that I've seen are countless reasons not to believe T-RaT's Avatar

true, it just means their songs have different lyrics though, and a slightly different style, i doesn't take anything away from the band really

Life begins as a quest of the child for the man and ends as a journey by the man to rediscover the child.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I can't imagine a woman doing the deep "satan" vocie you find in death metal seriously.

Fuck shit niggerspit. Bumblebee's Avatar

Rock? Paramore and Flyleaf (she screams in I'm So Sick or whatever it's called). Death metal? Iwrestledabearonce.
    chicks can do it, yo.
    hell, I'm gonna be a singer, and rock is where my love lies most

i was thinking paramore but didn't think it really fitted in meatl/rock, forgot about flyleaf completely and i don't think i've ever heared of i wrestledabearonce. And i agree with Solly, i think the satan growl is a bit beyond them, but that's not to say they can't be lead singers in rock/metal at all

Heh heh, Iwrestledabearonce.

d00d seriously, look them up. forget girls not being able to do satan growls.

Daughter of the Moon Moonchild-Kitty's Avatar

I was so gonna point out that band. She's fucking amazing. The first time I heard her I thought it was a dude and when I was told opposite I was completely amazed.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

(Thanks, Ed!)

i might just do that

just remembered this one today too: Otep

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

I think Heart showed people chicks can get in on rock with their song Barracuda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

Daughter of the Moon Moonchild-Kitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    just remembered this one today too: Otep

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

(Thanks, Ed!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I think Heart showed people chicks can get in on rock with their song Barracuda.
    DUN da da DUN da da Dun da da Dun da da DUN da da DUN da da DUN da DUN BOOOOOOOOOOWOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

I HATED that riff on guitar hero. Holding those repetitive notes for more than a minute straight was a test for my patience!
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

i'm pro at guitar hero, or at least used to be, i haven't played it for a while, but i have to admit, the first time i tried that, it was rather irritating

Beginning Trainer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNLbmhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF9M0vetBB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6balaHGQg38

That should answer your question.
    There are plenty of male vocalists who are nowhere near as good as these women, and there are still plenty of women in extreme metal these days, despite that it's a male dominated world.
    Of course, everybody knows the female fronted goth and power metal bands, which count as rock/metal just as much as these extreme metal bands.

And of course.. Female fronted heavy metal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc88DU8dzQg

This woman has more balls than most of the heavy metal vocalists.

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    (because women just vomit and hallucinate spastically)
    Hahaha.

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Yeah just as long as they can sing and don't go all poppy with the lyrics, that's what ruins any band. For example, the female lead singer of The Delgados is a pretty good singer who does not sing about poppy generic teenager carp and the songs have great meanings.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/