Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientia.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

there is a novel called picnic at hanging rock. it was written by joan lindsay in 1967 over a four-week period. it is arguably one of the greatest novels ever written in my opinion. its a mystery novel that focuses on the vanishing act of several girls who go to an australian women's college. they disappeared at a supposed landmark that turned out to be fictional called hanging rock while they were having a picnic.

it was the starter novel for things like cloverfield (im thinking off the top of my head here) where it has the generic FILE REPORT at the start and end to make you think its a real story. seeing as this was the first it actually caused quite a stir, with readers attempting to 'solve' the case by searching up the school and hanging rock itself. they were met with no results because the entire thing is fictional.

the book itself has sadly killed its own cult following with its ending. the thing that sets this mystery novel out from others is that there is no conclusion. the girls that disappear are not found bar one who is found in the sea by a fisherman several kilometers away from hanging rock. however he is found to be a concussion and as opposed to saying he solved the mystery of hanging rock, he becomes the fourth victim of the mystery. there are several red herrings throughout the adventure, with certain people being painted out as obvious culprits (sexual molestation is one of the prime theories as to how the girls disappeared). in the end, however, it ends on a low with NOTHING HAPPENING.

it's different to another book, the mystery of the disappearing cat, by enid blighton. in this you find out the mystery aspect is completely overhyped and that the answer was there all along; that there was really nothing cryptic. with picnic at hanging rock, you dont get an elaborate answer that uncovers the mystery, nor do you get a simple debunking (oh they just fell down a hole and couldnt get out). instead, it ends with one of the characters saying something along the lines of 'oh well, i guess we'll never know what happened to them'.

this is all well and good and sorta different, but why is picnic at hanging rock the source of so much debate. is it because of its amelia earhart/marie celeste parallels that cause so much speculation? to an extent, yes, but the truth is that more than a decade after the novel was published, it was revealed that there actually was a conclusion to the story that the publisher, not the author, felt the story would be best without, so he edited it out and made up a fake epilogue. the author, joan, was paid a considerable sum of money and so didnt object.

so there was an underground scurry to find out what happened in the ACTUAL ENDING. were they raped by a madman? did they have their bodies hidden? did they run off to get away from school? did they decide to leave hanging rock and take a dip in the sea, only to be swept out by currents and end up drowning themselves? i was in two minds about finding out the real ending, and i wish i had stuck with the first one when i read it after it was released to the public a year and a half ago.

according to the author, it was a 'time slip'. the girls ended up in the 1500s and lived there for a couple of days; conveniently returning in time for the very end of the novel. no one believes them but they stick to their story until they died.

wanna know how to kill a perfectly good mystery novel? give it a paranormal twist.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fey View Post
    i didnt understand any of it and neither did he. it was written like eragon but we showed off our intelligence by pretending we understood it.
    Eragon was a difficult read? I remember reading Lord of the Rings when I was 10. Maybe I'm just special

Oh my god Lord of the Rings are such horrible horrible books.

The writing style itself is rather archaic but the story and world were pretty original for their time.

That's why I prefer watching the story and world on the screen where they're not being raped by the godawful prose.

I, personally, always preferred the Hobit.

WTFFFFFFFF
    Did Rayne just say that he would rather watch the gay ass movies then read the boring books?
    The books were a lot better then the movie hands down, not because of... they took out a lot of stuff from the book and changed things here and there. No!
    The movies sucked because they wer BORING and slow, had too much talking for no real reason, and simply lame.

The books were boring because they had entire chapters were a forest was being described, how a certain tree looked and glowed and how the trails... blah-blah-blah... and then we get to the next chapter-- where the characters do a simple thing while imagery is still being used to describe the stupid forest!

The books were boring and so were the movies.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who appreciates fantasy novels more for the world created than for the unnecessary plotline.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who appreciates fantasy novels more for the world created than for the unnecessary plotline.
    Don't get me wrong Solly, the world seemed very creative and natural, but the plot ruined it and took away from exploring this world and a better adventure.

;]

Fuck shit niggerspit. Bumblebee's Avatar

I adore both LOTR and the Eragon series. I wait with bated breath for the fourth book
    when I was with my ex I tried to get him to read Eragon, but he complained it was boring too. I think it's just a short attention span problem (I know he for one certainly has one).

LOTR was way better than Eragon,imo... but both are pretty cool. I guess I just like books that delve into the fantasy genre.

Haha Solly- I read The Lord of The Rings when I was eleven. I read it again a couple of years later though.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Eragon bored the hell out of me

LOTR was okay, but The Hobbit is WAY WAY WAY better

Like, eons better
    derp

Eragon did have it's boring parts. I was bored,especially in the beginning,by the "Roran" chapters.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Eragon was a difficult read? I remember reading Lord of the Rings when I was 10. Maybe I'm just special
    I read Lord of the Rings when I was seven. Eragon is a difficult read because it's filled with purple prose and has no real story. There's a difference.

I haven't read Eragon because I had tech manuals, how to books, and text books to read. :|
    I've missed out of somethings and still have a lot of books to continue reading to advance me in my career.

;]

Yesterday, my grandfather and I went to a vintage car show. It was wrongly named, as it was actually the evolution of certain cars (Ford, Jaguar, Mercedes etc.), but I didn't really care. Not a lot of people have the same interest in automobiles as I do. There are fanatics who'd go to one of these shows just to find an antique car they can buy to show off to their peers. There are people who just don't get what the fascination is about; only relying on cars to get from point A to B. Then there's the midway mark; the people who developed an interest after hearing people in their lives constantly talking about cars and wanted to show they had a bit of knowledge so they tuned into episodes of Top Gear. I am one of them.

My great-grandfather was a mechanic, and he often let my grandfather help him repair and examine cars, so at this car show he was able to identify a lot of cars just by looking at them, which was nice for my education. He really only went there to see one car though; the Ford Model Y. As we were searching for it, he told me it was made in 1936 and that he had learned to drive in it. Shortly after, we found it, and it was breathtakingly beautiful.

Here's a picture of one in relatively good condition:

The one we were looking at was painted jet black all over, and it was as if it was made yesterday despite being nearly eighty years old. So we examined it, and my grandfather started telling me that he went on a tour around Ireland on it when he graduated from secondary school. He went with a chap called Paddy and three other guys. Those three couldn't drive so the first two had to take turns. He told me that on your average Model Y, there was a very bad brake system. On his Model Y, there were no brakes, and therefore tailgating was absolutely out of the option. Instead, he'd have to hit the accelerator; wait for the car to slow down, and tap it again on busy urban roads. Lonely country roads were different though; he just kept going and stated that if another car had come, they'd all be dead.

Just thought it was a cool anecdote.

is good for you

Remember that one time that dude hit fey?

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Remember that one time that dude hit fey?
    What?

What?
    No seriously, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    you know, last night i attempted to lucid dream. i'm a bit of a skeptic so i wasn't really expecting it to work at all, though after a little bit of research i found out it's actually studied in science so there must be some truth behind it. anyways, i was reading a thread on /x/ (i've become somewhat of a chan addict lately) about it and it mentioned how you have to reinforce in your mind that you'll remember each dream you had that night, and how right when you wake up you should probably write it down in a journal so you can start to identify similiarities and differences between dreams and reality, as to sort of realize that you're dreaming and thus you can become lucid. so out of deep curiosity and feeling like an idiot, i start taking the steps it mentions to successfully lucid dream. i don't care to go into detail but if anybody really wants to know more i can link some pages at least. so i do some of the steps, not exactly how it was described, i sort of made a lazy man's method because a lot of the steps required to much work and i wasn't having it. regardless i'm pretty sure i had some neat results. last night i remember clearly having multiple dreams. i'm not exactly sure if i was lucid, but i've recalled them so much better than i could have ever done before. mostly right when i woke up. like, i remember being in each dream and actually thinking about the different situations rather than just watching complacently from a third person perspective, i was actually in my body. like i said i don't think it was exactly lucid, because i wasn't really doing what i wanted (though i do recall being in a playground area inside a sort of.. either wildlife reserve or amusement park, and choosing to jump wicked fucking high, it was awesome) or making any choices. i was just more aware and actually in my body opposed to watching it like a movie. they were some pretty fun dreams.

i thought it was pretty interesting.
    Also I know you wanted me to engage with you in discussion about this, but my experiences with lucid dreaming haven't changed since I told you about them last. I haven't tried going back to the rendezvous point and I think everyone has pretty much forgotten about it by now. Besides, it physically weakened me for several days each time I did it. I really don't feel like exhausting myself right now.

is good for you

sleep is a time where you're trying to relax your mind (in lamens terms), controlling your dreams like that for one night is the equivelant of staying awake for a whole day, don't put so much strain on yourself.

is good for you

Remember, some dude headbutted your dad or something, and he beat you up?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    i don't really know about ap still.. >_> seems kind of sketchy. you should enlighten me on the topic though.
    Alright. Astral Projection (which I'm gonna refer to as AP from here on in) is 'an interpretation of any form of an out-of-body-experience'. Everyone has an idea of AP is, although they mightn't know the right terminology for it. We've all heard of people during operations slipping out of their bodies and watching the operation from above, normally as their heart is supposedly giving out and just before they are resuscitated. There are also reports of it happening during drug use, meditations and sleep paralysis. It's pretty well-known if you have any interest in the paranormal at all.

It's mostly agreed upon that to AP, your body needs to be unconscious in order for it to work; as you can't split your conscious entity. As I'm sure you're aware, you can't control any of the mentioned scenarios, but apparently you can do it while sleeping. Or, more correctly, lucid dreaming. The steps to breaking into APioning are that while lucid dreaming, you need to imagine yourself in a room or a chamber, with one exit (I made one up like a parallel to the double doors from Hogwarts) and you have to will your body to go through the doors without opening them. This, in theory, brings you to a higher realm, or an 'astral plane'.

The thing we were trying to pull off was to meet up at the same place via astral projection, but you already know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Remember, some dude headbutted your dad or something, and he beat you up?
    Hahaha, we found out he was like nineteen or something and my friend's dad is bringing him to court apparently.

is good for you

Hahaha, we found out he was like nineteen or something and my friend's dad is bringing him to court apparently.
    Haha, how long ago was that? Four months ago? Can't believe I still remember that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast