Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scientia.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Haha, how long ago was that? Four months ago? Can't believe I still remember that.
    Dunno to be honest. Everything sort of merged into each other when my exams started.

Don't leave flowers after I'm dead. Arta Lorraine's Avatar

Tales of Series is the Fifth best RPG series of all time <3

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

I got my transition year mathematics book today. For those of you who don't know ie everyone, secondary school is Ireland is pretty stupid. You spend three years (first to third year) just studying for one series of state exams which I just did, called the junior cert. The government wastes thirty million Euro a year on these exams, that really have no reason to be there at all as they effect nothing. Then, if you want, you can take a year out. This is called transition year or fourth year, and I'm heading into it. You pretty much do no educational work except for the three main subjects (English, maths and Irish) and your year is more focused on practical stuff like work experience. After that, you have fifth and sixth year (and this is where it gets really stupid) where you spend your two years studying for an absolutely horrible set of exams. They're horrible because your grades ALL COUNT and MATTER towards what third-level course you want to do. Let's take medicine as an example, because that's the course Ireland is infamous for. To take medicine here, you need 600 points. Wait, what? Points? What are they? Well, most people take seven subjects for the leaving certificate because nobody can get 100% in Irish. Your best six subjects go towards your points ratio. Yup, you got it; there's a maximum of 100 points for each subject... so to do medicine, not only do you need an A1 in maths, biology and chemistry, but you also need one in English, French (a European language is compulsory) and some other subject that more than likely has nothing to do with medicine at all.

It's commonly accepted that there's a fine line between easy and difficult on the leaving certificate. The easiest subject to get an A1 in by far is classical studies, but very few schools have the resources to teach it and only a bit less than 700 people went for it last year. The hardest is something called applied mathematics, which is basically making practical use out of mathematics, with some physics and chemistry involved. It's widely accepted, as well, that mathematics is the hardest compulsory test you can take, whether you're taking it at higher or ordinary level. There is an increasing number of people going down to ordinary level maths in Ireland, and if you take ordinary level and you get an A1, you only get 70 points. Only 6000 people took higher level maths last year, and the number is rapidly dropping, so to promote higher level maths, universities are saying they're going to give extra points for people doing maths. Instead of getting 100 points for an A1, you might get 140. The exact number has not been decided on yet.

I could rant about how this will just lead to the points for medicine being inflated, but instead I'm just going to talk about my new maths book.

Chapters:
    -Number systems
    -Factors, divisors, friendly and social numbers
    -Graphs
    -Formulas
    -Coordinate Geometry
    -Pythagorus' theorem
    -Ratio and Fibonacci
    -Algebra
    -Pi
    -Probability
    Combinations and permutations
    -Fermat's last theorem
    -Chaos
    -Complex numbers
    -Calculus
    -Infinity and Paradoxes

___

Because of the lack of people trying for higher level maths, something called PROJECT MATHS has been introduced. It's basically the dumbing down, but stretching out of the current maths course. You would never have seen stuff like 'probability, infinity and paradoxes, chaos' last year. These have been thrown in to make the course seem easier, more friendly and user-intuitive.

Clearly there hasn't been any talk between the universities (in charge of the points system) and the state examinations committee (in charge of the maths course syllabus), which means that the points for higher level maths will go up and the course will get easier at the same time, which will result in points for medicine EXPLODING.

And you thought your education system was uncoordinated.

friendly and social numbers

From my book:

Friendly numbers: these are pairs of numbers such that each number is the sum of the divisors of the other number.

Sociable numbers: these are groups of three or more numbers which form closed loops.

Yeah I don't get it either.

to be fair the us does seem like it has a better school SYSTEM than most european countries, its just the education is worse. but yeah i find ireland's and the uk's education systems at least to be incomprehensible.

well ok i dont know that the education is worse, just that its terrible

I think it goes that the education over here is more in-depth but the organisation of everything is just awful.

let's talk about conspiracy theories and how fucking stupid they are. when you're a detective, you're presented with a case, you find the clues, you solve the mystery. when you're into conspiracies, you find the mystery, then try to connect it with whatever clues you can find. that logic is just retarded.

while pd was down, i was bored, so i decided to pick up activity at a forum i haven't posted on for two years. there was a new board implemented there shortly after i left, just for conspiracy theories. first thread i see is '9/11, an inside job?', then, 'serial killer ireland?', then 'jfk taken out by mob?', and my personal favourite, 'israel army kills eleven innocent people; this was all staged and is giving the usa and russia time to invade iran'.

read this and think, just think to yourself for a second. who would believe any of this? all of it is just ridiculous; the theories are so outlandish and distanced from reality that what really happened looks like a walk in the park.

take 9/11, want to know the shocking truth of what happened there? twenty-one terrorists hijacked four planes. two flew into the twin towers and caused their eminent collapse. one flew into the pentagon. another crashed in Pennsylvania. does that not sound surreal enough to you? nearly four thousand people die, but the human mind won't let some people just fucking deal with tragedies. it's exactly as the joker in the dark knight said; 'when things go according to plan, it's okay, but when one little old mayor is shot dead, all hell breaks loose.' there are people who would rather believe their own government was responsible for the attacks. jesus christ the stupidity of it is unreal.

someone told me he thought a missile was fired at the pentagon. would people not have seen it? someone said there were bodies found in the lockerbie crash, why weren't any recovered from the flights that hit the towers yet the us government managed to find a passport of one of the terrorists? yeah ok, some of it sounds fishy, but even with evidence, how could you jump the gun and say the people meant to be looking after your country would do that. how could you live in your country thinking that?

serial killer ireland was pretty cool. it basically charted the disappearances of hundreds of irish people since the 1970s and the guy asked, do we have a bunch of serial killers or just one constantly getting away with it? and then the first reply. the first fucking reply is a retort that states most disappearances were because of satanic cults. who the fuck believes this? then he cites that RTE (the largest media organisation there is over here) is filled with satanic symbols in everything they do. how... how can you delude yourself into thinking stuff like that?

jfk taken out by mob sounds promising. until he says it's the cuban mob who were working for fidel castro. there were so many things wrong with that i just left the thread.

and the last thread i mentioned with the really long title dissolved into 'muslims are going to turn ireland into an islamic country' and then went to 'world war 3 is already on but it is being staged, the world governments are going to unleash nuclear warfare in 2012 to coincide with the aztec's prophecy'. it's just ridiculous.

i debated with someone who believes in this stuff and told him what he was saying was ridiculous and couldn't be true. maybe not the greatest debating move ever but he retorts with, 'you have to keep an open mind. if i told you one stone had the power to revive anyone from the dead, would you look through all the stones in the world just to disprove what i said?' is that the logic these people use to try and justify their ludicrous claims? are they really that fucking stupid?

mexicans were behind 9/11

It should be noted that it is a little fishy that half the people that worked there took off that day espically the Jews search it up I am right.

I am sure the government has its hand it in. How deep? A little or not a lot at all.

Also its a fact that the jets that routinely fly over NYC that day and only that day lacked weapons to shoot down the planes.

This is old news too. Like at Pearl Habor they detected with radar the planes the night before but the general simply told them that the radar machine was broken and it needed to be fixed. And that day most of the major ships where shipped out for again only that day.

any talk about conspiracy theories should go in the spam thread.

replying to god's topic here because i don't want to ramble away from the point of his thread and also i want to revive this thread. it doesn't deserve to be put to rest just yet.

these are unorganised thoughts so i don't know how easy it'll be to make sense of this post in the long run. just work under the assumption that every paragraph is a stand-alone post. that should make it read okay.

i think lord and rayne might have what it takes to become pd elites. i mean they have their own forum so i dont know if theyd put in the effort, but i think the potential might be there. just sayin.
    potential is there. effort is easy enough for me to take a gander at considering i have practically no school this year. problem is that it feels weird posting with this account. it feels weird posting under any account because it's not a true representation of my time on pd. i know there's no strict law that determines this but there's something that's holding me back from going 100% into every thread i see. i need to have my alts merged, my post count fixed and my username reverted to lord. i don't know why but every time i log in here it's nagging at me. ridiculous, right?

i mean, maybe not me/dogar/fullmetal/devil/xion-level elites, but hicky/giant squid level of elites, sure.
    liking the way rcta got a mention there.

agreeing with fullmetal - surprised people view xion as an up there sorta guy. i always thought giant squid would pass him out in terms of post quality/generally contributing to the forum, but then again i basically joined after xion's prime so i wouldn't know.

its been shockingly resilient. it is a great foundation for a real main site/forums expansion initiative to be successful if mewtwo ever decides to do anything or anyone else has the effort to one day.
    problem with the site is that everyone (ie myself and hicky) pretty much have come to the conclusion that pokedream will never be on top of news like serebii or pokebeach. hell i don't even know if pd can match pe2k, and that site hasn't been updated since february.

the problem is that when you neglect a website that deals with something that's ongoing and changes are rapidly taking place, it's easy to lose your place. the walkthroughs on pd don't amount to the ones on other sites and so on. even if wei could post news real fast, other sites would still beat him to it.

that's why i think pd needs to branch out and think of innovative stuff outside the box. legacies of a pokemon dream is a good example. that surely made people join the forums and it made pd look like a distinct forum to the other pokemon forums out there. problem is trying to keep that sort of thing going/thinking of other ways to spur activity.

Well in the end one of us will need to have some admin powers if we want to keep the lace running
    ripdos meant this in a completely different context but it's the truth. to pull off things like a new loapd or to just fix the forum in general, we need an active administrator. or two (hint hint nudge nudge fullmetal reprises his role as the lord of the pokemon art gallery). god needs to get his administration permissions fixed or else pd is slowly going to dwindle with activity. it's not even about doing something; it's about making it look like pd is competent to the outside poster.

-----

there are several other things i want to highlight but i can't really think of any right now except alts. we really need to stop crying alt. reason bauer never logged on again is because you guys challenged him. i've never seen any other forum who is so untrusting of decent new members. and i'm pretty sure he's not the only one we lost because you guys called wolf.

who cares if an account is an alt; we find out eventually. you don't need to turn something into your own personal agenda for the sake of looking cool in front of an audience.

yeah.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I never got the alt hatred either, but I think you, lord, spurred it on the most. I mean, alts in the right place at the right time doing the right thing can become something amusing; but someone who creates alts to get around a ban or to "start over" 3 hours later is quite annoying, especially to the mods trying to keep you banned.

But I like you now, Fey. You're hundreds of bars above the spot where you were when you were lord.

But I believe most people here don't actually call out new members (unless it's blatantly obvious that someone's doing it for attention). It seems to me that kirby is the one who calls out the most, but he's a naturally suspicious sort.

well no one really cared if bauer was an alt and i said so several times, its just that the similarities were very strong to the point where i would still bet he is an alt. i dont give yojimbo enough credit to have been able to make it less obvious.

as for xion, hes comparable with squid in post quality, but for forum contributions, xions light years ahead of squid.

This is now the official awesome Wikipedia articles thread from Lord:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...Color_variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_ninth

Lord, I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion that all conspiracy theories are retarded and pointless.

To me, conspiracies are often incredibly helpful. It brings to mind the quote "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." Despite how absurd these theories may be, they are still questioning the authority, the government, whatever. Through that, they are encouraging the government to not give any reason to question them.

Perhaps my viewpoint is a bit strange, but it works for me.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Not as knowledgeable as some, but I can tell you most anything you want to know about the Marvel Universe or Pen and Paper Roleplaying... fiction is my forte.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

i'm sorta knowledgeable about 70s to 90s music - at least, more than most people my age and i know dream theater's wikipedia page by heart

this is actually a pretty cool thread idea. bumping it now. i might post something substantial in it later.

why not now. lets talk a bit about the past, present and future of the universe.

ive seen plenty of people on the internet saying the big bang is as dubious as the idea of god creating everything. that's not really true. the big bang doesn't really preclude the existence of a creator but it is almost certain that a big bang occurred because there is a lot of evidence pointing toward it.

in the early 20th century edwin hubble, through mapping stars using their luminosity and distances, discovered that there existed galaxies other than our own. if that wasnt enough to blow his contemporaries' socks off, he analysed the doppler shifts of the stars in other galaxies to yield another significant discovery. to FULLY APPRECIATE this discovery, you'll need to know what doppler shifts are.

every object in the universe emits radiation. what we perceive as light and colour is radiation emitted or reflected by the object with a wavelength (frequency and wavelength are related quantities that are inversely proportional to each other; as one goes up the other goes down. ill just be using wavelength here) that our eyes are sensitive to. a lot of objects emit radiation at wavelengths that we cannot perceive but we can detect them using advanced instruments, and using such instruments to detect the wavelengths of objects in the universe is one of the greatest tools in astronomy.

what a doppler shift is is basically a perceived change in the wavelength of an object when it is moving towards you or away from you. say some object that is emitting radiation is moving towards you and say it emits a wave at some point in time. now say an arbitrarily short period of time later, it emits another wave. since the object is now closer to you, the distance between the first and second wave are closer than they would have been had the object remained still. the waves emitted radiation is thus essentially 'squashed' and the wavelengths are thus decreased. this phenomenon is called a blue-shift, since in the spectrum of visible light blue has a short wavelength and thus the perceived wavelength of the object moves towards the blue end of the spectrum. the same principle applies when the object is moving away from you, except this time the wave is stretched and the wavelength increases. this is called a red-shift because red has the longest wavelength and the perceived wavelength of the object moves towards the red end of the spectrum.

its important to note that it is possible for wavelengths to be doppler shifted beyond the region of visible light (ie beyond red or blue) into the x-ray or microwave spectrum but the phenomenon is still called 'red-shift' or 'blue-shift' because.... i dont know. i guess they roll off the tongue well. also, here's a handy picture to visualise the doppler shifts. pretend you, the observer, are on the left if you want to observe the blue-shift and on the right if you want to observe the red-shift.

( btw that image is from my university's website )

but getting back to hubble. what he discovered was that not only were there other galaxies, but the stars in other galaxies were highly red-shifted. furthermore, the stars in galaxies further away were MORE red-shifted than the stars in relatively closer galaxies. and if this phenomenon was only limited to a certain patch of sky then it would've been mind-blowing enough, but this red-shifting of stars in other galaxies was observed everywhere. in every region of the three hundred and sixty degrees of space that surrounds the earth, galaxies were found to be moving away from us. either our galaxy smells really bad OR the universe is expanding like a three dimensional analogue of a balloon. this may seem like a common fact now but back in the 1920s it was astonishing, and it completely revolutionised our picture of the universe.

now BEFORE WE PROCEED FURTHER theres an interesting point regarding the idea of an expanding universe that id like to touch on, but wont go into all that much detail about

i hope youre all aware that every material object possesses gravity, and gravity is an attractive force. when hubble broke the news that the universe is expanding, it was believed that one of two possibilities was going to take place.

-the combined gravity of all the matter in the universe would eventually slow down the expansion of the universe and there would a point where the universe would cease expanding and begin to contract, and after billions of years it would converge into a singularity in an event aptly described as the 'big crunch'.

-the combined gravity of the all the matter in the universe would slow down the expansion but would NEVER be able to stop it. so it would be an endless game of cat and mouse with gravity trying to get the universe to implode but never quite getting to that critical point where expansion could stop.

both perfectly reasonable possibilities and the physicists back then were perfectly sure that one of these two would play out. thus i wonder how shocked they must have been when towards the end of the 20th century it was discovered that both scenarios were implausible. the universe wasnt going to stop, it wasnt even slowing down. the expansion was actually fucking ACCELERATING. and the weirdest part is that no one knows why. no one can think of any reason why the expansion of the universe would not only defy gravity but straight up make gravity its bitch by ACCELERATING even with all of the mass in the universe trying to slow it down.

it's been theorised that there is a certain excess energy present in the universe that is causing the expansion, which has been termed 'dark energy'. its just a placeholder term. no one knows what it is, and no one seems close to finding out.

this has been part 1. part 2 and maybe more will be posted later.
    Last edited by Rayne; 06-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.

also to the very few of you who are going to read that post, ill try to answer any questions you may have

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

cool

about the universe accelerating:

aside from the universe having some sort of 'other' mysterious energetic force, is it at all possible that matter is still accelerating FROM the initial 'bang'? Of course it was billions of years ago, but isn't it possible the universe is still accelerating just from that "blast" and since it was so powerful, it hasn't had time to slow down yet, or 'expend' all its initial energy?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast