Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me of macro-evolution

Okay, an example of macro evolution:
    When the first cave man didn't throw back a rock, but an insult.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

a test for you all:

define macro-evolution. youre not allowed to google. solly cant use his 'long time to type baww' cause you can do it in a sentence.

and no leo that's not macroevolution

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

Macroevolution and microevolution were once thought to be different but scientific study has shown there is no barrier defining micro and macro. Both changes are brought about by the same mechanisms it's just grander changes take significantly more time to accumulate, much more time than say, human written record, let alone since evolution was first conceptualized. There hasn't been any documented evidence presented against the theory of evolution that held water and it has remained fundamentally unchanged for over a century. Of all the theories to doubt, evolution really is one of the sillier ones.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

I know

Macro evolution is the large change in a species. Like when the dino's grown feathers.
    Micro evolution is genetic, or other small changes, like slender bill to pick a insects in a tree.

They're sort of the same... but one is of a drastic change while the other is a minor change.

;]

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Macro-evolution: The development of a variety of species through natural selection over a long period of time.

Natural selection: The natural process through which a species develops and survives by small, random mutations in genetic coding. (E.g. The fish which was born with better streamlining can swim faster, therefore it survives over the slower fish who succumbs to predators. Then the faster fish can give birth to faster babies, and the genetic coding for fast fish is carried on while the genetic coding for slow fish isn't. Note that fast fish genetic coding is only necessary in an area with many predators, so in an area with little or no predators slow fish would be more prolific because of the need for less energy expenditure.)

they're the same processes but they have different results. micro-evolution results in variation, macro results in the formation of entirely new species. I can sorta get how accumulation of genetic variation can curb reproduction among former members of a particular species but the emergence of special organs like eyes almost randomly baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    they're the same processes but they have different results. micro-evolution results in variation, macro results in the formation of entirely new species. I can sorta get how accumulation of genetic variation can curb reproduction among former members of a particular species but the emergence of special organs like eyes almost randomly baffles me.
    Well, isn't the cause of many micro evolutions of thousands of years is what we know as Macro evolution then?

;]

I was going to explain it, but I found Wikipedia has a page explaining it. So read this so I won't have to type as much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

Light sensitive cells evolved on the organism. Some creatures had the cells on a part of their body that was curved inward, thus allowing them a sense of depth. These creatures went on to reproduce and the gap between the cells decreased until it was almost enclosed, purely by natural selection. Some creatures had the cell chamber filled with liquid that allowed better focusing, some had a mucus that hardened into a lens, etc.

That off the top of my head was very roughly how eyes evolved. Everything you see in the natural world came about by a long series of very subtle changes.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

heh teenageangst did a better job than my bio text book on explaining it

solly if you want to become a tolerable poster, you should actually start typing about your own knowledge and experiences rather than hotlinking to whatever you fancy

solly if you want to become a tolerable poster, you should actually start typing about your own knowledge and experiences rather than hotlinking to whatever you fancy
    You should read more

says the person who took fifteen minutes to copypaste when i asked him to define macroevolution

so in other words, this a pointless thread of you not actually wanting someone to "prove" to you macro evolution, but rather a silly little game to see who knows their stuff.

Like most snot nosed kids who think of themselves as clever for doing such a thing?

;]

I actually typed up a whole explanation of the eye's development, but my memory was rather fuzzy and I wasn't sure if I was describing it correctly, so I just decided to just delete it and post the Wikipedia page. Looking at the description on Wikipedia I was actually pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    who even types this. you sound like a scooby doo villain.
    Hey. Stop meddling.

Quote Originally Posted by leo33wii View Post
    so in other words, this a pointless thread of you not actually wanting someone to "prove" to you macro evolution, but rather a silly little game to see who knows their stuff.

Like most snot nosed kids who think of themselves as clever for doing such a thing?
    no i was genuinely curious and too lazy to google. you all just suck at explaining / really dont know much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    I actually typed up a whole explanation of the eye's development, but my memory was rather fuzzy and I wasn't sure if I was describing it correctly, so I just decided to just delete it and post the Wikipedia page. Looking at the description on Wikipedia I was actually pretty accurate.
    Well, in an argument, especially on the internet, wont hold. Sorry Solly, but it seems like a poor excuse. And as a community, cannot accept this as an excuse.

;]

Quote Originally Posted by leo33wii View Post
    Well, in an argument, especially on the internet, wont hold. Sorry Solly, but it seems like a poor excuse. And as a community, cannot accept this as an excuse.
    I don't expect you to believe me. I'm just saying that's what happened.

no i was genuinely curious and too lazy to google. you all just suck at explaining / really dont know much of anything.
    OBJECTION!

So rather then google, you would type up a thread and post on it, while being engaged in it because you were being lazy...
    Your logic doesn't make sense and can't hold water.

;]

Rayne is simply challenging us for the sake of challenging us, a bullfighter with creationism as his flag. He finds amusement in our simple ramblings, which is why I thought him a troll in the first place. Either that or he really hasn't read a book.

i enjoy semi-trolling more than i do googling

im not a creationist solly

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    I don't expect you to believe me. I'm just saying that's what happened.
    I'm just saying that's the nature of the beast is all. So I can neither believe or disbelieve you. But that doesn't really matter now, does it?

;]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast