Thread: Favourite Albums point 253233

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Favourite Albums point 253233

Yes, the Music forum still does exist. Post your favourite albums, with a whatever-sized description of why that album is good for you. No compliations. Inb4 Solly/Pants/some faggot posts one just to break the rules, that will honestly annoy me in no way because I don't care anymore if my threads degrade into shit. Also, I'm aware that some people don't buy albums and just download torrents. Honestly, I'm fully aware.

Also, preferably albums you haven't already talked about.

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

Pearl Jam after they dumped their whole 'WE'RE NOT CORPORATE' shit and with New Wave influences turned out to be pretty good. Most of the songs are lively with somewhat enigmatic lyrical content which just requires you to think a little. 'The End' sounds like something Emerson, Lake and Palmer would write, whereas 'Speed Of Sound' sounds like a Randy Newman B-side. A very good album with a lot of variety and very little to criticise. There's also interesting use of keyboards and stringed instruments, which is somewhat rare for a band of this type.

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

I don't particularly like the horrible pseudo-intellectual, essentially meaningless lyrics that Omar pulls out of his ass but I've heard that they compliment the flavour and I guess they're right. The album is a bunch of self-righteous 9 minute tracks that actually never get boring, sounding like everything you've ever heard in every music ever. The random use of synthesizers ensures that you have something to subconsciously comment and note, and the album isn't as annoying and experimental as their other albums.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

TOP 20 ALBUMS!!!

20. animals (pink floyd): this is one of pink floyd's lesser rated albums (probably
    because of its incredibly few songs), and it honestly deserves more recognition.
    each track (inbetween the enter and exitludes) is over 10 minutes long. they each tell
    a cleverly written, and stylistic story about each of the 3 personified animals PF decided
    to compare humanity to. its honestly brilliant. the enterlude and exitlude help define the
    songs as a simple passing of thought, and that the events in the half hour spectacle would never occour because man will prevail beside his fellow man, rather than above him. simply genius.

19. black and white album (the hives): at first glance, i never cared for the hives (from the little that i have heard from them), and boy was i wrong. i personally love the
    clever choice of styles they use in each song (except for 2, which prevented it from
    a higher spot on the list) and the sudden wreckless change that happens between every
    track. i dont know why i love it, i just do.

18. dear agony (breaking benjamin): i love this album. its the best albumm that breaking benjamin has released. period. the album flows into itself nicely, and leaves you, feeling like there should have been more. its the only one of BB's albums that no one song sounds like another in the musicality and lyrical respects. it passed for a highly acclaimed rock album, so i guess critics and moguls arent that stupid after all. haha

17. a fever you cant sweat out (panic at the disco): one of the first albums that i truely payed full attention to. the newly formed band was a mystery to me in 2005, whilst shaded by the prowis of demon days and meteora, and i finally started listening to it in early 2006. it was the album that got me interested in performing music. the album is more than just a simple "emo pop" album. the melodic patterns thrown at the listener... the lyrical satiric brilliance that the band throws at us... its something that i cant describe in words. the only thing truely lacking in this album is 1 specific song near the center of the album, which could have been done without.

16. mean everything to nothing (manchester orchestra): ah... the album my former band's lead singer is obsessed with... this album, suffice it to say that im not a fan of the first song, nor the entire vocal track, im incredibly impressed by their seamless organization, and usage of instrumental sounds. its an incredibly "sour" album, that requires multiple listens to gain taste for.

15. american idiot (Green Day): the classic, the acclaimed, the masterfully created pseudo political punk album: american idiot. it sucks you in with its upbeat opening, and keeps you there with the best lyrics ever written by billy joe in the song "Jesus of Suburbia". i'm not entirely sure why im telling you why this album is good... just look on wikipedia!!! or listen to the album yourself... its literally the best punk album ever written.

14. city of evil (Avenged Sevenfold): oh my! its avenged sevenfold's album of moderation!!! this album showed their cooling down from screamo, and entering of the casual metal scene. there really isnt anything wrong at all with this album. every song has flow, feeling, power, excellent instrumental work, excellent voicework... yet something is keeping me from putting this higher on the list... i dunno.... maby its the organization of the last half of the album... i'll figure it out...

13. aenima (tool): tool's 3rd studio album. i can honestly say that 60% of the songs on this album are played on your local FM rock station. i'll bet you money on it. anyway, this album has an assload to offer... storytellings, muses, prophecies, and even insight! the core value of the album is to keep it away from conventional metal all together... and it both succeeds and fails in that respect... it became something out of the ordinary, but ended up having the most singles. its a quandry really... but nevertheless, each song, whether or not a novelty is extremely fun to listen to. the songs flow in and out of eachother with astounding ease. the end feels like you just got knocked (the fuck) out... and its a good feeling. bottom line, listen to this album.

12. california (Mr. Bungle): there is a hidden diamond in the bargain bin!!! california by Mr. Bungle, the kings of oddity and trendy nonconformism, has outdone themselves with this freestyle album of complete insanity. i actually ran into this album by a request to review it... and oh boy, does that person deserve a thanks... the organization, the rediculous, comical sounds, and the suspended minor phrases create an ambience that is personal to the listener. very few bands do this type of things anymore, and its a shame.

11. pet sounds (beach boys): hee, hee! beach boys. nuff said.

10-1 a future post!!!
    Last edited by Pants; 07-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.

your welcome

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

Quite liking the sound of Funeral by Arcade Fire and Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron and Wine.

Will review them later when I find myself with a stable internet connection.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    TOP 20 ALBUMS!!!

20. animals (pink floyd): this is one of pink floyd's lesser rated albums (probably
    because of its incredibly few songs), and it honestly deserves more recognition.
    each track (inbetween the enter and exitludes) is over 10 minutes long. they each tell
    a cleverly written, and stylistic story about each of the 3 personified animals PF decided
    to compare humanity to. its honestly brilliant. the enterlude and exitlude help define the
    songs as a simple passing of thought, and that the events in the half hour spectacle would never occour because man will prevail beside his fellow man, rather than above him. simply genius.

19. black and white album (the hives): at first glance, i never cared for the hives (from the little that i have heard from them), and boy was i wrong. i personally love the
    clever choice of styles they use in each song (except for 2, which prevented it from
    a higher spot on the list) and the sudden wreckless change that happens between every
    track. i dont know why i love it, i just do.

18. dear agony (breaking benjamin): i love this album. its the best albumm that breaking benjamin has released. period. the album flows into itself nicely, and leaves you, feeling like there should have been more. its the only one of BB's albums that no one song sounds like another in the musicality and lyrical respects. it passed for a highly acclaimed rock album, so i guess critics and moguls arent that stupid after all. haha

17. a fever you cant sweat out (panic at the disco): one of the first albums that i truely payed full attention to. the newly formed band was a mystery to me in 2005, whilst shaded by the prowis of demon days and meteora, and i finally started listening to it in early 2006. it was the album that got me interested in performing music. the album is more than just a simple "emo pop" album. the melodic patterns thrown at the listener... the lyrical satiric brilliance that the band throws at us... its something that i cant describe in words. the only thing truely lacking in this album is 1 specific song near the center of the album, which could have been done without.

16. mean everything to nothing (manchester orchestra): ah... the album my former band's lead singer is obsessed with... this album, suffice it to say that im not a fan of the first song, nor the entire vocal track, im incredibly impressed by their seamless organization, and usage of instrumental sounds. its an incredibly "sour" album, that requires multiple listens to gain taste for.

15. american idiot (Green Day): the classic, the acclaimed, the masterfully created pseudo political punk album: american idiot. it sucks you in with its upbeat opening, and keeps you there with the best lyrics ever written by billy joe in the song "Jesus of Suburbia". i'm not entirely sure why im telling you why this album is good... just look on wikipedia!!! or listen to the album yourself... its literally the best punk album ever written.

14. city of evil (Avenged Sevenfold): oh my! its avenged sevenfold's album of moderation!!! this album showed their cooling down from screamo, and entering of the casual metal scene. there really isnt anything wrong at all with this album. every song has flow, feeling, power, excellent instrumental work, excellent voicework... yet something is keeping me from putting this higher on the list... i dunno.... maby its the organization of the last half of the album... i'll figure it out...

13. aenima (tool): tool's 3rd studio album. i can honestly say that 60% of the songs on this album are played on your local FM rock station. i'll bet you money on it. anyway, this album has an assload to offer... storytellings, muses, prophecies, and even insight! the core value of the album is to keep it away from conventional metal all together... and it both succeeds and fails in that respect... it became something out of the ordinary, but ended up having the most singles. its a quandry really... but nevertheless, each song, whether or not a novelty is extremely fun to listen to. the songs flow in and out of eachother with astounding ease. the end feels like you just got knocked (the fuck) out... and its a good feeling. bottom line, listen to this album.

12. california (Mr. Bungle): there is a hidden diamond in the bargain bin!!! california by Mr. Bungle, the kings of oddity and trendy nonconformism, has outdone themselves with this freestyle album of complete insanity. i actually ran into this album by a request to review it... and oh boy, does that person deserve a thanks... the organization, the rediculous, comical sounds, and the suspended minor phrases create an ambience that is personal to the listener. very few bands do this type of things anymore, and its a shame.

11. pet sounds (beach boys): hee, hee! beach boys. nuff said.

10-1 in my next post!!!
    Honestly, Disco Volante is far better than California in my opinion. And Pet Sounds should be higher, it's one of the best albums ever.

i appreciated the sudden changes and break-neck styles in California better.

disco was good... but not my cup of genuine tea.

and i love pet sounds, but its all nostalgia to me rather than pure substance.

i thought 11 was perfectly suitable!

your welcome

green day isnt punk. at least not anymore. they stopped being punk since american idiot. that album is the furthest thing from punk - pop rock maybe.

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

Pants lied. His pervious post did not, in fact, contain the next best albums.
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

10. mezmerize/hypnotize (System of a Down): these two are 1 album guys! I DONT CARE HOW MANY TIMES HATERS CLAIM THAT THEY INTENDED 2 SEPERATE ALBUMS, THE ORGANIZATION PROVES OTHERWISE. ok, so system of a down's 4th studio album(s) really takes alot of thought to get into. the general idea of 90% of the songs and their titles are satirical. it is a complete metal satire. but, while being comical and satirical, what other band can take the line "my cock is much bigger than yours!" in a condescending manner, and make it bad ass? there is at least a thousand words that i could write for each song, but i'll summarize it: THEY ARE
    THE PERFECT DEFINITION OF EXCELLENT NU METAL.

9. californication (Red Hot Chili Peppers): the generation-defining album by red hot chili peppers (lonely hearts club band :3). the album's first 7 songs are mostly singles and feel-good romps, and they succeed at what they are trying to convey: life's problems and the only solutions for the personal situations. its pretty clever, but thats not where this album shines. it shines in its lyrics. the lyrics, word for word have a power over every ear succuming to the songs. its hypnotising, but it somehow makes you more aware about your surroundings... i still dont know why...

8. songs for the deaf (Queens of the Stone Age): 5/4 time is tough to keep up with on most songs, but QoTSA has figured out the perfect way to make a 5/4 groove with "hanging tree", and that itself gets this album to the top 10. not to mention that this album has comedy, tragedy, parody (of death metal), sexuality, and of course kick ass songs. the tracks back to back feel like a 40 minute ride through a valley, with mysterious radio stations that see to entrap you into the same band, over and over, but completely different each channel... its "like" a concept album without concept. its a sensation, like five gum, but without a minty aftertaste. its just a great album with laughs and headbanging to be had.

7. dark side of the moon (pink floyd): how many times do i have to say that this IS PF's greatest album? god... ok. there's a total of 6 actual songs on the 9 song disk. its honestly a surreal experience of power, beauty, love, insanity, brilliance, and the final realization. there is no other album quite like it in that respect. musicially, the first track has aged quite a bit since the early 70's, and it sounds just like any other hippie weed song... until "time" punches you in the face. money is the showstopper of the album (next to the ending) and its the only famous rock song i can recall to date that is played in 7/4 and is not dream theater. the rest of the album is what it is; brilliant.

6. the resistance (muse): oh muse, you just had to burrow your way in to number 6 diddnt you? ok... the resistance is their most different album, quite obviously, because they have influence from hip hop effects, and i have to say it works. they sound alot like queen this time around, and they pull it off with flying colors (like the album cover). uhh... its just amazing and bad ass, from beginning to end. no concepts, no gimmicks (other than the symphony), and nothing that makes it too out of the norm. its just kick ass.

5. where you want to be (taking back sunday): taking back sunday, with all of their infamy, they pull off an incredible album. there isnt too much to say except that they know how to pull you in, and make you want more of it.

4. demon days (gorillaz): DA-DA-DA-DA-DEMON DAYS. i love the gorillaz. i. love. the. gorillaz. the band that made rock, hip hop, rap, and techno mix perfectly. they have one of the most talented vocalists in england, and it shows. they have never had the same lineup of musicians twice, they are just basicially 2 animators who have a lot of musicially talented friends. its really an incredible phenomenon... this album is a concept album... that is very unclear. you need to have visual accompanyment if your truely interested in getting the concept. the music is stunning. the rap is flawless. the vocalists they get are beyond talented. it is just quite a blast.

3. folie a deux (Fallout Boy): fallout boy. what fun it is to hear them write songs that no one else would want to write . not only do they actually write a legit intro this time, but they write an intro to the intro! (bonus intro track). the overall experience was good, and it felt like they honestly wanted to make something heartfelt yet simmering with absence... it was a complicated feeling when i first heard it... but thats art: the ability to create a feeling unknown.

2. lullabies to paralyze (Queens of the Stone Age): im listening to this album as i write this review lol. this album... whoa... its amazing... plain and simple... each track is remarkably memorable, and infinitely entertaining... i have listened to this album more than any of the others on this list... damn... there is nothing keeping this album from at LEAST being #2. the direction, the sound, the musicality
    the writing, the EVERYTHING is magnificent... listen TO IT NOWW!!!

1. pretty. odd. (panic at the disco): now its come to this... an album that most of my friends and some of you on CGR forums know is my #1 album. "pretty. odd." is sheer perfection. its a blend of all worlds of pop, folk, classical, early rock, modern rock, and soo much more... some people say that they blatantly copied the beatles. well, i think they surpassed the beatles, both vocally and in writing. the beatles were soo ahead of their time, that they diddnt have the effects, clarity, or equipment to perform this kind of splendor. the album says out right, that they are sorry for being gone, and that they are back with songs for you. the album tells no story, breaks no real molds (except for using classical instruments in a pop/rock group that specializes in techno), and it doesnt revolutionize music. its most astonishing quality, is that anyone i know, including myself, grows a smile when
    any one of these 15 songs come on. no other album can do that. its just incredibly well put together, and well directed. give it a listen immidiately.

DISCLAIMER:

there is no reason that anything you say about my list is wrong. these are my personal opinions, so feel free to show your own, and don't waste time flaming mine.

your welcome

er... that green day is no longer punk is not an opinion and i wasnt flaming you for it. chill out.

no, i completely understand rayne, i actually wrote that before i read your comment lol

i consider them just plain rock anymore, but american idiot did have the punk writing formula (basicially nothing but a pattern of power chords)

i think their best punk album in nimrod imo

your welcome

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

american idiot is a punk rock opera. 21st century breakdown is much more melodic and mellow; i'd wouldn't call it pop rock but i wouldn't throw in the punk tag either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fey View Post
    american idiot is a punk rock opera.
    havent read anything that gay in a long time
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

i could take that to heart but then i would be disregarding your unconditional hatred for billy joe

i honestly think that american idiot is a wonderful opera, but i'd have to say, its not punk.

the fact is that its incredibly well-written, and fun to listen to every time.

your welcome

Echoes, Silence Patience, and Grace by the Foo Fighters

JUST GO LISTEN TO IT
    derp

i think "Echoes" by pink floyd is better than "echoes, patience, and silence" by the foo fighters (yes, song over album)

but i did like the foo's later albums

(and that grohl helped make the 2nd best queens of the stoneage album by going back into "nirvana mode")

your welcome

Beginning Trainer

Too lazy and/or cool for some sort of order...

Seeing them in 2 weeks exactly

Coheed and Cambria - The Second Stage Turbine blade

I'm a huge Coheed fan so I figured I'd better pick at least one of their albums. Technically speaking this album isn't as good as their others, but it's got that kind of pure untouched feel to it (plus Josh Eppard's drumming). The lyrics are absolutely amazing. Being a concept album the lyrics follow the story of the Amory Wars, however, they manage to be perfectly relatable to real life, so there's a lot of depth and clever wording... I'm a fan in any case. Not gonna be a douche and say "WOZOR THIS ALBUM SAVED MY LIFE" But it's a great album to listen to if you need to feel like someone else relates to how you're feeling.
    On the music front it's second to none. It's like nothing I've ever heard before. Claudio and Travis have a seemingly perfect gauge on each other, slipping in and out of riffs that absolutely nail you with power then taking you somewhere else with some perfect harmonies.
    Mic Todd is one of my favourite bassists ever. He's a funk/ blues bassist and brings a whole new element to music. It's always nice to having some lazy ass root note bass line. Some of his lines, from this album especially, are incredibly hard to follow.
    Josh Eppard is a great drummer. His drumming to me didn't really begin to shine until their following album "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3." However some of his beats off of this album are truly amazing. The intro beat to "Time Consumer" one of the best riffs I've heard. It's not as technically good as many other drummer's beats, but, meh... I like it. The drumming throughout 'Neverender' is also really pretty awesome.

Junesong Provision

A perfect Circle - The Thirteenth Step

The second album from the super band "A perfect circle." It's a truly awesome album, taking a somewhat different approach from their equally cool first album 'Mer De Noms.' As the name of the album suggests, the recurrent theme of the album is drug addictions (some will argue the point but with lyrics such as "Someone feed the monkey while I dig in search of china white" it's kind of hard to say there is no drug related content... double meanings or not.) Again it's another great album where the lyrics are easy to relate with. With Maynard as the lyricist, every word sang is fully open to interpretation. Between softer sounding, perfectly melancholy songs such as "The Noose" "A Stranger" and "Weak and Powerless", and harder hitting songs such as "The Package" "Pet" and "The Outsider" there's a little something there for everyone.
    Somewhere between the styles of Tool's Techie Billy Howerdel and Smashing Pumpkins' Guitarist James Iha, the guitar playing is very very good. There's no absolute shredding, but a perfect mix of subtle harmonies and equally effective heavy-chordy driven riffs. It's weird sound that I've not heard from any other band, and I've never been able to replicate it neither. Mind you I'll never know my way around an amp and guitar like a Guitar Technician for one of the biggest progressive rock bands to date.
    Marilyn Manson Bassist Jeordie White never impressed me a whole lot in a technical sense, however Slap popping his way to RSI is hardly appropriate for the album anyway. It's a lazier bass style than I usually look for in a band, however considering the style of the band you can't fault him. He fills in the gaps a lot, but other than providing a solid bass line there's not much to say about him.
    Josh Freese. What a drummer. He's up there in my all time favourite drummers. He's got so much energy and undeniable technique. His beats are crisp, and constantly technical. His 'hat work is what impresses me the most though in all honestly, perfectly accentuating 16th notes in a way that isn't flashy (if you weren't a drummer you probably wouldn't notice it) but just adds that extra bit of bulk to already substantial drumming. His fills are never boring and some of the beats he lays down in the interludes is down right crazy. If for nothing else, check this band out for his drumming alone.

The Outsider

Ænima - Tool

This one is an oldy but a goody (14 years old ... wow). This is the second Album from tool. This one takes a somewhat different approach to the prior "undertow", which sounded more grungy than proggy (cool none the less, just not to my taste). This Album seems to have to take an end of days theme, though, I'm not completely sure. It just sounds that way to me. This album is not quite as easy to relate with and while the lyrics are thought provoking like mad, aren't as great as they are when Maynard sings with APC and the latest album of Tool. Well they are good, I just struggle to relate a lot of the time (however some songs such as H. are perfectly easy to relate to. Who hasn't had that moment in their life when different groups of friend try to pose advice, and you're never quite sure to listen to? "They're both totally void of hate, killing me just the same."). I'm not enamoured in anyway by what I call 'The Non Songs' which are basically intermission songs with a baby screaming for 60 seconds, or some Portuguese bloke threatening to kill Maynard. I guess they work in hindsight, but I want to listen to music... not the rantings of a German explaining how to make, what I can only assume to be, hash brownies.
    Adam Jones some how manages to make a damned huge noise for being the soul guitarists. Even with Danny Carey smacking the high heavens and hells out of his kit, Adam manages to still produce a nice full sound. Technically not that great, but the style fully works. You won't see him playing massive solos, but he certainly can pay well. I've not got a bad word to say about him really. He plays well and creates a perfect feel.
    Justin Chancellor. Man he's a cool bassist. Again, nothing over the top, but just right. His lines are never too tricky to follow, but are never lazy or boring. He brings a nice element to the whole sound, with a deep-but-not-chugging sound, he and Adam seem to bounce off of each other really well; allowing each other to take the limelight where appropriate.
    Danny Carey... He's a hell of a drummer. Poly rhythms, poly rhythms, poly rhythms, poly rhythms. Any drummer reading this SHOULD already know of him. He takes a basic beat and turns it into something insane. He knows when to smash, and he knows when to sit back and tap the hat. He's never boring to listen to... and if you can follow his beats, then heaven has a seat reserved for you already. I don't really know what to say about him. He is definitely one of (close to) the best drummers of this day and age.

H.

Cire - Adrenological

Let me start by saying you've probably never heard of this band. Cire were a New Orleans based Alternate rock band before Hurricane Katrina forced Guitarist/bassist/vocalist to New Zealand. This album is a thought provoking ball of awesome sauce. Posing questions about our existence, our conscience and also taking sly digs at the US Gov' at the same time. A truly awesome band. It's a real shame they never managed to make it big . Vocalist/ general string-ist Eric Johannson Is truly an awesome musician, lyricist and I guess you could say philosopher. The lyrics are easy to relate with whilst also being ... awesome. "Making reasons for hormone shifts we call fate, our love and our hate are inside, outside confusions" "Its pathways have more muscle than the fleeting joys of life. My thoughts are chemical mistakes and I am my own crime."
    As I said, Eric is a great musician. Fusing odd effects with his perfect guitar style he manages to take you one place, then throw you somewhere else in a seemingly seamless flow. Being able to compose Ambient songs like "adrenological" and "Laugh Some Day" then smacking you in the face with harder hitting tracks such "Autonomy" and "Red Queen" he truly is a brilliantly versatile musician. The bass lines he writes aren't too shabby either. Never overly flamboyant, but just enough to provide a solid line, whilst also not being too boring. I would like to hear a little more complicated/ diverse lines (not going to happen :/) where applicable.
    The name of the drummer fails me here I am sorry to admit, alas. He is absolutely amazing. Technically sound and not afraid to smack around in 5/4 - 7/8 Time. There's not a whole lot to say about him, and I probably wouldn't do him much justice so just take a listen to the following track.

Red Queen

Seeing them some time in December

Karnivool - Sound Awake

Last but definitely not least, Karnivool. I wasn't sure weather to write about this album or their Studio Debut "Themata"; however I am liking this album more at the moment so I guess this will do .
    Karnivool, if you haven't yet heard of them, are absolutely brilliant. Each song taking you from weird bass and clean guitar interludes to smack-your-dog in the face riffs in a flawless breath. This album is a perfect show of this. It is technically awesome. These Aussie bands certainly know how to write, I'll give them that much.
    the running theme is hard to discern, but themes aren't necessary for the album to be enjoyable. Again, as I've said about the other albums I've written about prior to this, the lyrics are very easy to relate with. That's what I look for in an album. Being a musician I am blow away by technical solos, but if the song doesn't speak to me, then the song's sub par. Karnivool blow me away with their completely unique sound and also move me with their lyrics. A little faggy; but hey - to each their own. There's not a whole much to say about the album really. Just that it is definitely worth the time taken to listen to it.
    Drew and Mark ... They complement each other perfectly. The rhythm lines are intense, and the lead lines are beautiful. Again, not much in the way of solos, but solos aren't needed when they are smacking you in the face with something impressive 99% of the time. Between random Key changes and absolutely perfect harmonies there isn't a bad word that can be said about the duo guitarists.
    Jon Stockman. Now this is probably the best bassist in this list. He has a hell of a style. Never lazy and never shying away from the intense the guitar put forth. I wish I knew how to describe him, but honestly I've not heard anything like him. He's by no means your classical "good bassist" in terms of the generics set by good bassists of the past, he's something else completely... What can I say, I like his style a lot.
    Steve Judd. Well a good band isn't a good band without a good drummer. In this albums he displays his awesomeness with the beat he lays through the intro of "Set Fire To the Hives". Which is written in a time sig' that I can't even count... I'll have to look that up.

Set Fire to The Hive

[Must... Make... Smaller... Posts]

We at war with the army of haters And when we kill em we just smoke 'em like papers. Kelsh's Avatar

and more
    "There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it."
    - Guatama Buddha

and

cl you piece of shit
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    cl you piece of shit
    haha

did you expect simple plan or are you simply saying i'm a snob piece of shit cause i sorta like prog?

elvis sucks a hard one

your welcome

doragons

Rock is so much better than all those punk suggestions.

<-- Click please!

bump for this and this only

MALAJUBE - TROMPE L'OEIL

masterpiece -- from beautiful, moving pieces like 'étienne d'août' to upbeat songs like 'montréal -40°C' or 'pâte filo', malajube's second album is in my opinion their best. even if you can make no sense of the lyrics (partly because they use singing as an instrument more than to actually carry a clear message), you can still feel the emotion coming. they are easily the best group from quebec in a long time and have even been described as "somewhat like french radiohead" -- not entirely true but it does bear a resemblance. i highly recommend you give it a listen.