Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the top 10 most well-designed pokemon

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

Default the top 10 most well-designed pokemon

top 10 most well designed pokemon

(this applies to their design, and not necessarily their usefulness)

10. scizor: the red iron clad demon himself. the design was genius. a red, spiky, huge-clawwed beast that made scyther look like a baby's toy.

9. gyrados: i know what everyone thought when they first saw this in red and blue: what is that thing that my rival "cocksuck" has, and how do i get one?.. and little did we know... that the piece of shit we tossed aside once we got out of mt. moon, would become a legendary force of gaming nature. chinese dragons are always cool. nuff said.

8. latios/latias: gimmicks done right. these two were the reason to buy both games. the designs were simple, and very effective. they looked like they were cutesy, but they would definitely kick ass when they needed too. and boy did they...

7. houndoom: a firey hellbeast that kids got their hands on. he's always looked kick-ass, and he always will.

6. luxray: probably the most useless one on the list... but boy does it look cool. especially the shiny luxray. its a super sayain pokemon! holy crap is that cool!

5. umbreon: less is more. this is one of the most effective designs for any pokemon ever. he is the most plain of all of the eeveelutions. he has no huge gimmicks like static hair, gills, flames, or crazy dual tails. he has humble rings, and a humble face. his style is sleek, simple, and beautiful.

4. lugia: a legendary that caused silver to be sold 60% more than gold. and he sold out tickets to pokemon 2000, because he was the main attraction. lugia. kicks. ass.

3. ursaring: the pokemon that slapped trainers back down to reality. it is a huge, angry-ass bear. most trainers who got teddiursa expected a cutesy evolution, but no. they got a bloodthirsty, gigantic, dangerous beast, that not only excels in simplicity, but in awesomeness.

2. aggron: who would have thought that when you leveled up that little doll with a hub cap for a face would become such an awesome dragon-like monster? it wasnt as unexpected as ursaring, but damn was it cool to look at.

1. nidoking: the pokemon that everyone wanted. i have to ask... how many people went through fire red and leaf green by only training nidoking and giving him every TM that passed by? because i did. nidoking looks like he means business, and boy does he. he is a badass with a huge, rocky, spiky back of poison. he seriously is the most badass thing in pokemon. i stand behind that 100%

your welcome

is good for you

I'd have to agree with the first four, no way around it.

I can agree with this list except for the Lati@s and Aggron. I would say that Breloom and Salemance had good designs. I can easily accept them as Pokémon even though I have yet to train a Salemance. I've only used Breloom once and never trained on again as of yet.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

breloom had an awkward design imo

he had a goofy look, (especially around his head), and he doesnt truely match his description of punching with stretchy arms, when it actually has claws rather than fists.
    it does look nice, but its just too goofy for me to put it on the list.

i was considering salamence, but he really looks bland for a dragon... not quite as bland or nearly as useless as dragonite, but he still looks like he's waay too fat to fly, and his wings look like painted cardboard.

your welcome

I think venonats pretty cool

it's all fluffy n shit
    derp

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

YEAH! I love Jumpluff!
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

Gyrados I would definitely agree with. He's always been my favorite pokemon.

If we counted evolutions in this discussion I'd definitely include charmander -> charizard because the design of growth is amazing. it goes from cutechild to rebelious teenager to bad/kickass dragon.

anyways, lugia i also agree with. my list would probably contain mewtwo just because he's so different from the others. in the first game most of the pokemon resemble animals or at least objects (magneton) from the real world but mewtwo is a science experiment gone wrong, or right however you wanna look at it.

Light, grant me one final blessing. Give me the strength...

to the guys above rabbit:

FLUFFY IS A CHEAP WAY TO GET OUT OF CREATIVITY!

just look at that new Cyclops bat *shudders*

and Brayer rabbit:

mewtwo was a strong consideration... but the more i looked at him... he looked like a belimic version of snorlax with a 2nd neck... he's definitely in the top 20... but he's a little goofy beneath his bad assness

charizard is an excellent pokemon, and his design was pretty good, except that it was in no way original. its simply a fire dragon. nothing too special. just a fire dragon. and though he's awesome, he's a little too generic to be called "simple brilliance".

your welcome

is good for you

Bellossom, though I've had a ridiculous theory about them: After being exposed to a sun stone, the Gloom's chlorophyll amount increases and it's flower on it's head shrivels up and dies. In a hysterical effort to cover up it's shame of never becoming a Vileplume, it places it's now dead flowers around it's waist and head and wears a hysterical smile to cover up it's depression.

I prefered Bellossoms over Vileplumes anyway.

oh i kinda see what you mean now. like what you meant in your first post...

onyx and steelix are definitely original. i've never seen a snake made out of boulders anywhere else

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

JUMPLUFF! C'mon, it's a cotton ball that can attack you with SOLAR POWER.

I like Jumpluff
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

PIKACHU

he's a rabbit.
    don't even try to tell me otherwise.
    but we're getting off track here.
    a lot of my favorites arent considered here >.< salamence, dialga, groudon, tyranitar, suicune.... i know theres more XD

i already explained salamence

dialga was pretty original, but he was waaaay too eccentric looking... like game freak tried WAAAY too hard on him...

tyranitar is in the top 20, but i still think they designed him too simply for his magnitude in size... but it is one of the best.

groudon is just very chubby... cool... but chubby... his arms are tiny, with barely any way to move them, and his legs have the same problem: lack of joints.

suicune is nice, and probably in the top 20, but its very unclear on what they wanted it to be... it could be a deer, a dog, a large cat of some kind... any of those. they really did want it to be beautiful, but its just not as cool looking as raikou imo.

and i might post the next top 10 if this topic is still alive when i get around to it.

your welcome

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

You seem to place too much prize in the cutesy-> Rawr I'm a Big Fat Humongous Badass sequence. Ursaring is too boring, and as for the surprise factor of "Oh it's not gonna be cute and cuddly when it grows up?", bear cubs are equally adorable when young, so it's hardly original. And personally in chinese dragon terms, Rayquaza has always been far more accurate and awesome-looking than Gyrados. Or dragonair if you're looking for beauty.

Ursaring VS Typhlosion: Same old bear shape, very different effects.
    Gyrados VS Rayquaza: I'll give Rayquaza plus points for the arms for accuracy, though Gyrados gets the more historically correct background info. But we're looking for design here.
    Aggron: Aggron? It's just a rip off Rhydon, seriously. Nothing too great here, move along.

The only one I seem to agree with you is Umbreon. Nintendo's captured the beauty and sleekness of the mystifying image of the black cat and gave it further charm.

The others you suggested are just meh. If I had to suggest a few, I'll probably choose Mawile, Victreebel, Dodrio, Cubone/Marowak, Sharpedo, Porygon Z amongst others, and not because I like them.

Luvdisc

Luvdisc is a pimp yo

SMELL YA LATER

your welcome

Ursaring VS Typhlosion: Same old bear shape, very different effects.
    Gyrados VS Rayquaza: I'll give Rayquaza plus points for the arms for accuracy, though Gyrados gets the more historically correct background info. But we're looking for design here.
    Aggron: Aggron? It's just a rip off Rhydon, seriously. Nothing too great here, move along.
    how does typhlosion look like a bear? his arms and legs don't have the proportional properties of a bear! he's closer to linoone than ursaring!!!

rayquaza is on my top 20, no doubt, but he was designed waay too late to have the audacity that gyrados did. and he suffers from the "mystical lines on the body" gimmick that all 3 uber legends from hoenn suffered from.

aggron is a horned beast, but he perfected it. rhyhorn was too wide, too clumsily created, and just too "off". aggron perfected the massive stone beast. he's sleeker, beastlier, and he's one of the very few gigantic monstrosities with believable arm and leg joints.

your welcome

Fuck shit niggerspit. Bumblebee's Avatar

personally I find Mawile boring. I don't know why exactly, I have just never found him of interest, not to look at or battle with. although I did used to have one named Maon that dominated in tough contests.

Rhydon and Aggron are similar but still very different. Rhydon is too simplistic to compete with Aggron's all-around badassery. not to mention Rhydon's horns are really small, whereas Aggron has those big motherfuckers protruding out of his head that look like they're just saying COME NEAR ME AND I WILL IMPALE YOU VIA HEADBUTT.

gonna agree on Sharpedo though, he looks like he means business and I LIKE MY POKEMON TO MEAN SOME FUCKIN BUSINESS.

also: Victreebel is a plant. he is boring. and porygon z is an unnecessary gimmick evolution, and if he could be described as anything other than "weird", it would be "cute".

Everyone knows the best pokemon designs ever:

-pikachu
    -raichu
    -pichu
    -gastrodon

End of story

Don't leave flowers after I'm dead. Arta Lorraine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lac459 View Post
    I think venonats pretty cool

it's all fluffy n shit
    I back this up 100 %

venonat fur is the material used to make pimp coats.

for luvdiscs to wear.

your welcome

suicune is nice, and probably in the top 20, but its very unclear on what they wanted it to be...
    thats exactly why i like him! i'm weird and i like weird things

venonat fur is the material used to make pimp coats.

for luvdiscs to wear.
    yeah luvdisc be pimping

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Goodness guys, design isn't just on aesthetic appeal, the way it's been adapted originally counts much too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast