Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Astoria Historical Enthusiasts

Default Astoria Historical Enthusiasts (OOC/Sign-Ups)

Here is a link to the IC thread: http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15412

As posted on the message board at the Orcshead Tavern and Inn
    Last edited by Keke Le Cat; 08-25-2010 at 04:02 PM.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

The Lore

Astoria was once a land of peace and prosperity, a global nation ruled by a beautiful and wise lineage of Kings and Queens. That was all destined to change when a dark sorcerer corrupted their fair Queen with an enchanted mirror. The Queen grew so enamored of her own reflection that she jealously slew with the magic of the mirror any who threatened her own charms.

When the mirror broke, all the spells that were woven with it were corrupted. From big to small. In some cases the very fabric of reality was ripped or twisted. Wished clothing turned to moths and writhed on the wearer until the person died from madness. A wished flock of sheep sprouted two heads and turned rabid, ravaging a countryside. A wished stone castle melted like wax, entombing people inside.

These Pockets of Horror spread still when shards of the mirror are reunited, and finding them may prove as dangerous as was their loss. To this day, Shadow monsters, fiends, demons and twisted beings appear seemingly from nowhere and terrorize the land.

How this came to pass, and how the mirror itself was lost has been consumed by time. Not even the memory of peace remains with the people. The known world is torn by war and squabbling factions. Not even the name of their land can be agreed upon. Law is whatever a Lord of the Land makes it, and few know real safety. Over 2,000 years have passed since the Dark Queen was unseated and her power broken along with the mirror, only one remains living who remembers her tyranny and the true history of the world. And she tells no one.

The squabbling nations that exist now, in the minds of the populace, have always existed and the story of the mirror is a fairy tale. A few scattered cults still believe in the remnants of the mirror. It is worshiped and sought after by cultists who wish to align the shards and recreate the world in the image of their dark queen. They believe that if they can resurrect the broken mirror, their queen will live again and her terrible peace will reign once more.

It is the belief of the quest giver that if she can reassemble the shattered mirror that the world will once more know peace, and the seeds of Chaos will wither and die. The chasm that was opened to the Plains of Chaos will close, time and space will be healed.

It has been determined that on a specific date a comet will pass over the heavens, carrying with it the power necessary to reunite the shards of mirror and undo all the spreading horror created with it's breaking.

Her goal is to assemble a group of elites to track down the shards and bring them to the place of power at the specified time to mend the mirror, for good or ill.

Will you assist her in this cause? Can you face what is to come?

Apply.

Name:
    Race:
    Personality:
    History:
    Reason for applying:
    Word:
    Appearance:

Name: First or full name, up to you. Include any nicknames also
    Nationality: Kalgarlands, Glade, Corin, Caralis, Murandy, or The Myrian Empire
    Personality: Just a few sentences
    History: Just a bit about your character to demonstrate that you've thought it out
    Reason for applying:
    Word: One word that ties to your past just so I know that you've thought of one. This could be a word as random as “macaroni” to maybe signify a job you once had or as meaningful as “Failure” to signify a turning point in your character's life. Make reference to your history throughout the story, let's see if us reader's can figure it out!
    Appearance: Picture or description

The Land

Astoria - The ancient land of unification that split into the following warring nations:
    Kalgarlands - The Frontier. Wild, untamed lands filled with beasties.
    Glade - Tiny dying nation, home of the elves.
    Corin - Dwarven nation, known for it's stone work.
    Caralis
    Murandy
    Myrian Empire - The ever expanding Empire, bent on world domination.

Name: Princess Ann

Nicknames: Though her mother called her Snow White, she is now known as Pandora, or Pan.

Age: While her exact age is unknown, it is believed that she is well over 2,000 years old. She was born before the breaking and appears to be around 16-30 years of age. At first glance she might appear quite young, but from another angle seem much older. A casual acquaintance might find it impossible to guess her age, and only after years in her presence realize that she does not age.

Race: Astorian

Personality: Quiet and withdrawn, she is the Mastermind of the operation. Don't let her ageless face fool you, she can still be quite impetuous and even childish at times. Her sanity is not at all guaranteed, but she is coldly calculating and strives for constant control.

History: Only daughter of the dark queen, she was placed in a magical coma at the age of 18 because her mother could not bring herself to kill her own daughter for her beauty. When the mirror broke, she awoke cursed, unable to die and yet unable really to live.

It has been rumored that the Princess was a wish granted by the mirror. One day as the queen sat sewing by a window. When her finger was pricked by the needle, a droplet of blood fell upon the snow. She asked for a daughter with lips as red as blood, hair as black as ebony and skin white as snow. Some time later the only Princess of the kingdom was born with these self same attributes.

Pandora herself claims to remember the time when the mirror was introduced to the realm. She states she can recall what life was like before the corrupting influence of Chaos gained purchase in Astoria through the magical mirror. Are her memories true, or has time manipulated her mind? Not even she herself can say.

Snow White is a name out of legend, one often used to frighten children.

"Obey your mother or Snow White will get you!"

"Snow White waits in the dark for children who don't go to bed when they're told!"

"Naughty children are food for Snow White!"

As such, she never goes by the nickname her mother gave her. Instead she calls herself Pandora, after the legend of the woman who brought so much woe into the world.

Word: Apples

Appearance: With hair as dark as blackest night, eyes the color of honey, lush lips as red as a rose and skin so white it seems to glow under moonlight, she is quite a striking woman. She is scarcely five feet tall and very petite. Her feet and hands are tiny, her posture regal.

Name: George Perihelion
    Nationality: Myrian

Personality: Argumentative and surly, this former Myrian General has a difficult time accepting authority. George feels that his way is the best way, and often times he is correct. He is often outspoken and at times even rude, but it is obvious he has a great passion for the mission and a true believer.

History: One of the greatest tactical minds of the modern world, he lead the armies of the Myrian Empire to great victories. It has been nearly 10 years since he fled his duties and he now lives on the run. It is immediately unclear why he abandoned his life in service of the the Empress, but is now a wanted criminal.

The Empress placed a bounty of 50,000 gold crowns on his head, dead or alive. A fortune unheard of, and enough to tempt even the most stalwart of companions. A wanted poster with his likeness can be found posted all over the Empire as well as in outlying lands.

Word: Father

Appearance: (Yes, this is a picture of Sam Elliot )

Last edited by Keke Le Cat; 09-02-2010 at 04:35 PM.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I think we all know how dangerous dark mirrors can be.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

You think mirrors are bad, you should see the trouble portals through hell cause when they shatter.

Snow White did teach us the dangers of mirrors, didn't it?

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Name: Malta of Bisque

Race: Spell-drawn

Personality: Rather quirky and innocent, Malta is an experienced spell-drawn. He lacks real emotions, so his happiness and sorrow can either last split-second or for years. He is quite observational and quick to act, but rarely sits down and plans out things.

History: Malta was originally spell-drawn by the Marquis of Bisque, after he was exiled from Bisque for threatening the monarchy. He followed and assisted his noble and rather eccentric master across the broken land of Astoria. Malta himself was not affected by age or love, and so watched passively as his master slowly aged, loved, and died. The Marquis's death threw Malta into a storm of madness, as a Spell-drawn's master is his anchor to the world. Due to the dark, magical properties of Astoria, Malta did not die with his master. Rather, he became a free-floating spirit. Doomed to live forever. He became somewhat suicidal, but he finds that he cannot die, as although when he is burnt up, or cut up, or soaked and broken, he is momentarily incapacitated, his pieces always seem to float back together over an extended period of time.

Reason for applying: He is desperate to find a way to get rid of the dark land of Astoria so that he might finally leave this world.

Word: Rhyme

Appearance:
    Malta has no definite physical appearance other than being flat. His face is constantly changing like a Picasso painting and his clothing changes colors and varieties. Malta finds if he concentrates he can keep one form, but he prefers the flow. The only thing that remains constant is his blue sword, which is incredibly light but also very sharp. In terms of existence it is actually just an extensions of his essences (the paper), but it is wielded like an actual sword, with its own sheath.

Other: The Marquis was a rather eccentric fellow, and when he created Malta he made it so that Malta could only speak when talking in couplets or when rhyming somebody else's words.

Very nice.

Accepted

Earth hopefully, but sometimes I wonder...

WOW! I mention mirror, and well look what you guys have done! What did you need me for to start something Keke? This is a very fancy idea you've done up here. I like it. Truth is, I haven't given a lot of thought to a character yet, and I dare say I won't be able to make one as amazing as you and Solly. Truth is, I've always liked incredibly average people (COUGH *easy stereotypes* COUGH). I'd like to try my hand at an npc's eventually this time around if I think I can handle it. Time to flex these rp muscles, it's been some time.

Name: Avalynn Tresler

Race: Human originally from Murandy

Personality: Avalynn is a gentle and soft spirited person. She doesn't like to make a fuss and tries to be as courteous and mannerly as possible. She was raised so strictly that she is not very in-tune with her own desires and ideas and in a large way, does not know herself.

History: Avalynn is from a sanctuary of sorts secluded in the mountains of Murandy. Her childhood was spent with her family, but upon her eigth birthday she was chosen to train as a herbalist in the Harmyn Temples. The Harmyn temple is an ancient tribe of sorts comprised of all women, it's existence stretching past the time of the Dark Queen but the inhabitants know nothing of the mirror or any of the past. The women never marry or have their own children, so all of it's members are specifically chosen at young ages from surrounding villages. The women are trained to be doctors and helpers, living off the land and generally secluded from people. They take in and are sent patients of all kinds where the women treat the sickly much like a hospital. Often times the elders of the temple send out some of their women to help other lands in times of distress or to gather new herbs for medicine. The Harmyn temples are often said to be a good and pure place, the last of a dying kind and sourly needed in such a corrupted world. Then again, who can be certain that anything is good and pure anymore?

Reason for applying: Avalynn was in the area at the time having been sent by the elders to gather resources since their own meager supplies are diminsihing. The promise of money that she intended to bring back to the temples drove her to apply (partly suckered in for not fully understanding what she was getting herself into.)

Word: Puppet

Appearance: Avalynn is a skinny girl with long flowing light blonde hair. She has a beautiful face with large light blue eyes, plump lips and sculpted cheekbones. She always covers herself to the full, from neck to toes and will not go out without a skirt or dress as she see's pants as inappropriate for women. She often wears blues and greens, lighter colours and never anything black or dismal.

Great profile Muttsy, accepted

Kirbeh: awesome everything

Kirby, if you think you can keep up with the writing and present a good profile you are free to apply

Spells are a yes?
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Very, very light magery. Think: Tolkien magic. Most magic is subtle and takes a long time to take effect, wizards are very rare.

The world is filled with raw magical energy with great potential for magic, but it has been corrupted by Chaos because of the rift created when the mirror was broken. Any spell is likely to be corrupted, and so is very dangerous. Magecraft has all but died out because of the sheer danger involved with working spells.

Before the breaking, mages were common and magic was used to benefit mankind. Now, it's considered a dark art because of the Chaotic nature of magical energy.

Let me know what you have in mind and I'll let you know if it will work

is good for you

Is this the RP that I keep hearing about that's the talk of the town?

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    Very, very light magery. Think: Tolkien magic. Most magic is subtle and takes a long time to take effect, wizards are very rare.

The world is filled with raw magical energy with great potential for magic, but it has been corrupted by Chaos because of the rift created when the mirror was broken. Any spell is likely to be corrupted, and so is very dangerous. Magecraft has all but died out because of the sheer danger involved with working spells.

Before the breaking, mages were common and magic was used to benefit mankind. Now, it's considered a dark art because of the Chaotic nature of magical energy.

Let me know what you have in mind and I'll let you know if it will work
    Translation: not worth the effort?

It could be very worth the effort, especially if you like to play madmen. A mage could be very, very useful if played right. But I am not interested in an overpowered godmodder.

I would LOVE to have one in the party.

A mage would be more a staff user who tried healing and light offensive magic.

Nothing like making it rain meteors, more like making a fog rise to hide you from the enemy and allow the party to escape a battle they couldn't win.

More like causing a whirlpool in a river to hinder a pursuers crossing than creating a tornado to rip apart a massive army.

More like creating a bridge of air across a wide canyon than a wall of fire to consume the enemy.

You get my drift?

More like Gandalf, less like a harbinger of death and destruction.

I think we have different scales of magical strength.

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    It could be very worth the effort, especially if you like to play madmen. A mage could be very, very useful if played right. But I am not interested in an overpowered godmodder.

I would LOVE to have one in the party.

A mage would be more a staff user who tried healing and light offensive magic.

Nothing like making it rain meteors, more like making a fog rise to hide you from the enemy and allow the party to escape a battle they couldn't win.

More like causing a whirlpool in a river to hinder a pursuers crossing than creating a tornado to rip apart a massive army.

More like creating a bridge of air across a wide canyon than a wall of fire to consume the enemy.

You get my drift?

More like Gandalf, less like a harbinger of death and destruction.
    In other words, minor healing and binding spells are an ok?

If so thats awesome, cause I'm thinking about giving my character the ability to use minor spells, such as healing some injuries, restraining opponents to a certain extent, and minor destructive spells (by minor, i mean unless used with strategy, you'd be better fighting with a spoon).
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

That sounds fine, Shadow. Just keep in mind what I said about the dangerous potential in using magic.

Sometimes you will intend to light a candle and the spell will be corrupted, creating a raging fire that consumes half of the table before you can contain it. Sometimes you will intend to create a gentle rainfall to help a farmer's crops but the spell will twist and create a massive storm that decimates the fields.

Magic is dangerous, and few choose to use it except in the last defense of their life.

Dark magic is banned and punishable by death because for whatever reason dark spells are more often corrupted than Light.

Healing magic very rarely corrupts.

Sweet. That means my destructive spells have a 50% chance of exploding in my face.

Anyway, Here's my half-assed profile

Name:Unknown, goes by The Shadow or The Rogue
    Race: Glade
    Personality: Typically he's kinda calm but cold, but on a battlefield he's a demon. Either way he uses a cruel sarcasm.
    History: Said to be from one of the noble families, he was said to be the next successor, and was raised as such. However, after going berserk on a battlefield and killing everyone, both friend and foe, he was disowned and put under a form of exile until he could redeem himself. It is not known how much of this is true though, as everyone who knew anything about him refuses to acknowledge his existence. The only thing known about him for sure is that he works as a blade for hire and seem to pick jobs based more on whether he thinks it's interesting than the price.
    Reason for applying: Bored, think it'll be something interesting for a little while.
    Word: Die
    Appearance: He's about 5'9" and around 150lbs. He has white hair and red eyes (look to my avvy for general reference of face/head). He's dressed simply, wearing black boots, black pants, a black sleeveless shirt, and a black cloak. The only things that stand out are the silver bracelets he wears, a black eye patch on his right eye with an odd silver seal mark on it, and his sword. His sword is single edged and slightly curved (like a katana). It's black and plain except for some silver runes that run down each side next to the blood groove.
    Other details: His eye patch acts to seal off a large portion of his energy reserves. Also, he knows how to use some minor spells of healing, binding, and destruction.
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-29-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Hey I just thought of a question. For the magic are incantations mandatory or optional?

Beginning Trainer ZoroarkMasterLK2's Avatar

My mind just got carried away.
    "The truth will be revealed, once the evidence becomes consealed"
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    zoroarkmasterlk2 theorizing over the deep mysteries of pokedream forums

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Too bad I'm too lazy to rp with any consistency...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    dear lord... you are the smartest pokemon master i know...

please, let me face you in an honest man on god battle online oh great one :O

PS: im not being sarcastic for once in my life on pokedrim frumz
    ZoroarkMasterLK2

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Hey I just thought of a question. For the magic are incantations mandatory or optional?
    More like you think it and it happens. You have control of magical energy, you will it to do such, and thus it does. Because you are a mage.

See also: Artemis Fowl.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast