Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Astoria Historical Enthusiasts

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Now suppose somebody comes at you with a banana...

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

You'd better have a monkey.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

First, you incapacitate him. Then, you eat the banana, thus disarming him.

Now what if he had a pointy sti-

Shaddup!

Mmm bananas

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Must we all have a bow?

If it's free, I don't see why you'd raise a fuss over it. It's for "in the case of emergencies and sieges" and stuff.

If cornered, it's always best to have a way to defend from the heights and from a distance. If questioned, that would be the explanation given.

In the army he would have likely been given a bow or crossbow for just such instances. It is best to have your party prepared for all eventualities.

Fair enough. I'd have thought melee would stick to melee while ranged would have melee weapons just in case melee charged them.

It would make more sense for everyone to be equally outfitted on the off chance that it is necessary to defend against ranged assault.

Or in case it is necessary to stand off against charging bears. You don't want to fight toe to toe with a fucking bear! You want to be able to shoot that bitch from as far away as possible.

Instead of running across a field toward a row of archers, it would be much more wise to take to the trees and let them come to you.

Choose your battle ground, let the enemy approach you. By dictating the terms of the fight you gain advantage. Choosing terrain and timing can greatly effect the outcome of a battle.

If you are greatly outnumbered, and you have to run, it would be wise to inflict as much ranged damage as possible while taking flight.

Everyone having the ability to defend equally would make the most sense.

Just as everyone having a horse in case they need to beat a hasty retreat would make the most sense.

Before I continue I'd just like to say that I am going to take the bow. And now on with the discussion.

Experience in Oblivion and Dawn of War has shown me that there are two ways to deal with ranged units. If your ranged units are superior, have a shoot out. If they are not, charge. If the enemy has any sense they will break rather than risk a face full of sword and warhammer. If you are inexperienced with a bow you would put yourself at risk by standing still and would be very unlikely to hit anything.

Ranged units often carry knives and the like to defend themselves in close combat. A melee unit will not shoot back. It will either close the distance or retreat. Attempting to fire back would give the enemy an advantage.

Malta cannot use a bow, he can carry one, and knock an arrow, but his shape simply disallows him from reaching back with the string while holding the arrow in place and shooting it.

That makes perfect sense, he should obviously be exempt from that little stipulation.

Just in case anyone else wants to argue about it:

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor
    I really do have to question the logic behind us all taking them. Most of us will be complete novices with them, making them next to useless. And I don't think we have several months to learn how to use them well.

1) I doubt a swordsman would take the time to ready a bow rather than just pursuing, especially if he wasn't very good with it.

2) We're not in a fort fighting a besieging army, we're out in the forests or ruins or whatever dealing with the local monsters and other treasure hunters.

3) We can eat big things like bears.

4) We're not trained archers, unlike them.

5) I'm questioning the logic behind the suggestion, as given by the player.

6) I wonder if you know what you're doing.

Only people who knew how to use a bow would carry one. It wouldn't make sense to burden yourself with a weapon you don't know how to use, and we don't have several months to be trained in archery. It makes no sense. You wouldn't give a bow to a knight or a halberdier or a swordsman. You'd give them to the archers.

In a large army, yes specialization is more logical..

This is a very small group, not an army.

In a small band, everyone takes care of what needs taking care of.

We aren't fighting wars. We are fighting tiny skirmishes. This isn't a grand tale of epic armies clashing, its going to be much smaller scale.

The objective is to avoid battle, and feed your party. From the perspective of bandits and thieves, it would be a very bad idea to attack a group in which everyone is prepared to stop your retreat. That is the logic behind the suggestion.

Now stop arguing.

Sun Tzu was one of the greatest military minds of all time, forgive me if I trust his logic more than your own. He said in small bands, everyone should look tough to avoid battle when possible. It enables retreat without injury.

To look tough, everyone would have a bow strapped to their horse. A scouting bandit would then report to their leader that retreat would be impossible. You would be attacked less frequently by sentients if they thought that they wouldn't escape.

That goes for semi intelligent creatures like ogres and orcs as well, if they can't get away if the battle goes bad, or if they worry about the initial charge going badly because of arrows, they probably won't attack.

The objective is to LOOK tough.

Note that my post is different to my PM...

Also we're not a trained scout party, we're a bunch of heroes. Gaming heroes. We don't need to avoid fights. We don't need to feed our party. This isn't Dwarf Fortress, it's Final Fantasy. We get our food from the magical provision fairy and we beat down anyone stupid enough to take us on.

Unless of course it IS Dwarf Fortress, in which case I stand mistaken.

Note that mine is as well...

And there is literally nothing you can say that will change my mind. I am never going to think, "Huh. This 19 year old british kid is way smarter than Sun Tzu, the greatest medieval military leader OF ALL TIME. He probably knows what he's talking about, I'll just ignore The Art of War and change my RP to make this kid happy, since he knows more than infamous Generals about waging war on large and small scales."

There is no way I am changing my post, or my mind. My logic is sound. Sun Tzu is right about looking bigger than you are.

Most of medieval war is smoke and mirrors. Fear tactics and winning in their head before you win on the battlefield. Morale wins wars.

Like you said, this isn't a war.

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    Also we're not a trained scout party, we're a bunch of heroes. Gaming heroes. We don't need to avoid fights.
    This isn't a game. It's a Role Play. It is a written story told by many voices. A small party does need/have to avoid fights, if it is to survive to see the mission completed. Injuries slow a party down.

This is not a video game. It is not based on a video game. There are no stats, there are no dice rolls. This is a story. As in, like one of those fancy book things you have likely heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    We don't need to feed our party.
    Starving to death before the end of the story is never a viable plan.

Haven't you read Lord of the Rings?

Haven't you read any fantasy novel?

Stop arguing. I've made my point and anyone with a brain would agree with me. I am no longer going to respond to your arguments. Fin!

Now look at pictures of cute kittens and calm the fuck down before I gotta smack a ho

Eat my badass longcoat. *goes off hunting bears for fun and profit. With a sword*

Name: Princess Ann

Nicknames: Though her mother called her Snow White, she is now known as Pandora, or Pan.

Age: While her exact age is unknown, it is believed that she is well over 2,000 years old. She was born before the breaking and appears to be around 16-30 years of age. At first glance she might appear quite young, but from another angle seem much older. A casual acquaintance might find it impossible to guess her age, and only after years in her presence realize that she does not age.

Race: Astorian

Personality: Quiet and withdrawn, she is the Mastermind of the operation. Don't let her ageless face fool you, she can still be quite impetuous and even childish at times. Her sanity is not at all guaranteed, but she is coldly calculating and strives for constant control.

History: Only daughter of the dark queen, she was placed in a magical coma at the age of 18 because her mother could not bring herself to kill her own daughter for her beauty. When the mirror broke, she awoke cursed, unable to die and yet unable really to live.

It has been rumored that the Princess was a wish granted by the mirror. One day as the queen sat sewing by a window. When her finger was pricked by the needle, a droplet of blood fell upon the snow. She asked for a daughter with lips as red as blood, hair as black as ebony and skin white as snow. Some time later the only Princess of the kingdom was born with these self same attributes.

Pandora herself claims to remember the time when the mirror was introduced to the realm. She states she can recall what life was like before the corrupting influence of Chaos gained purchase in Astoria through the magical mirror. Are her memories true, or has time manipulated her mind? Not even she herself can say.

Snow White is a name out of legend, one often used to frighten children.

"Obey your mother or Snow White will get you!"

"Snow White waits in the dark for children who don't go to bed when they're told!"

"Naughty children are food for Snow White!"

As such, she never goes by the nickname her mother gave her. Instead she calls herself Pandora, after the legend of the woman who brought so much woe into the world.

Word: Apples

Appearance: With hair as dark as blackest night, eyes the color of honey, lush lips as red as a rose and skin so white it seems to glow under moonlight, she is quite a striking woman. She is scarcely five feet tall and very petite. Her feet and hands are tiny, her posture regal.

Name: George Perihelion
    Nationality: Myrian

Personality: Argumentative and surly, this former Myrian General has a difficult time accepting authority. George feels that his way is the best way, and often times he is correct. He is often outspoken and at times even rude, but it is obvious he has a great passion for the mission and a true believer.

History: One of the greatest tactical minds of the modern world, he lead the armies of the Myrian Empire to great victories. It has been nearly 10 years since he fled his duties and he now lives on the run. It is immediately unclear why he abandoned his life in service of the the Empress, but is now a wanted criminal.

The Empress placed a bounty of 50,000 gold crowns on his head, dead or alive. A fortune unheard of, and enough to tempt even the most stalwart of companions. A wanted poster with his likeness can be found posted all over the Empire as well as in outlying lands.

Word: Father

Appearance: (Yes, this is a picture of Sam Elliot )

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

So my last post has a lot of presumed actions and possibly some godmodding, If anyone objects to anything in the post, I'll change it without a problem.

I was just trying to further the story quickly...
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast