Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Astoria Historical Enthusiasts (IC)

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

Receiving the answer he had hoped for, Shadow turned to leave. Taking a few coins from the pile, he went to the bar where he bought some more food and drink before heading upstairs for the night. "I'll turn in a little early, that way I'll have plenty of time to buy some stuff I need tomorrow before this quest gets underway." Finding an empty room, he closed the door and laid down on the bed, trying to think of everything he'd need to get in the morning.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

((finds it curious that Shadow had no response to the display of light and color magic, let alone the whole bending space and time to transport an object to a specified location outside of sight))

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Earth hopefully, but sometimes I wonder...

As the shadows fell across the room Avalynn could feel the dimming of that unnatural light. The darkness, although it really was impossible, fell over her and she was gripped by fear and her blood burned cold in her veins as her heart seemed to speed up in an effort to pump it farther. Overwhelmed by blackness, Avalynn screamed. She must have, she could feel the breathe escaping her yet she did not hear it and nobody else seemed to either. It was a scream now lost in time, perhaps doomed to echo forever in that timeless void of space with no audience. It was stolen, and was soon as she finished the dark took the rest of her breath with it. Avalynn suffocated, unable to draw another breath. Her head whirled in panic and although Gwenyth would later tell her that the shadow had lasted only a few seconds, like an ebbing tide does just as it arrives, Avalynn knew better. It was longer, so much longer. She would have collapsed, had it not been for that sudden burst of bright light, so warm so flourishing. Avalynn welcomed it as it hit her hard, knocking her head on and seeming to force air in her once more. She gasped, greedily drawing breath after deep breath. Unbeknownst to her she must have fallen over in her struggle to breath, as she found her hand clutching to the table holding her up. With new strength and air in her lungs she corrected her posture and glanced up in time to see the five swallows, glittering fluid and full of colours so strong she had seen no comparison to describe it too. They dissapeared with the letter and Avalynn had to use ever trained muscle in her face not to gawk.

“I should never have let that happen. I am sorry,” Avalynn barely whispered

She did not know if Pandora coul even hear her, she was lost in her own thought as she straightened her skirts. It never should have been done, Avalynn shouldn't have consented to it. Such a terrible thing to let loose into the world, surely such risk was not needed for such a trivial issue as a letter delivery. The Elders knew where they were now, they could use the birds from now on. That's what the birds were for, that's why they were there.

Returning to her senses one more, Avalynn looked around embarassed by her outburst, but no one seemed to heed it or notice it. Indeed, Pandora's display had been the main attractin, why would anyone find her lack of grace worth noting?

Avalynn sat back down at the table. The sending of the letter could not be undone, and aside from her brief scare it did nothing else devastating. She still felt it unsafe to attempt again however, chaos it seemed had it's way of spreading. There was nothing to do now but wait for a response and first the elders would have to get over the shock of the letter appearing, they would next need to read the letter and finally respond. Elders wrote letters just as long as their pupils, but they too wrote fast. On top of that there was still the matter of decision, the elders surely would have discuss and reach some general concensus before they could begin to write back with instruction. There was no prediciting how long that could take. So Avalynn continued to sit and wait, sweeping the room with a careful eye. They were all affected by the magic display in some way. Most seemed to see it meerly as a spectacle however, a strange occurance and almost rare entertainment. She had no sense to feel that anyone had suffered so deeply from it like she had.

After no more then two or three minutes, Avalynn got up again. She was being useless just sitting around like this and it wasn't proper to take up the seat of what could be an actual paying customer. It was obvious there was no medical injuries to see too, but there was no reason she couldn't help with the simple chores and ease the burden of the innkeeper. Avalynn made her way to several of the empty tables that had yet to be cleared and clean and started stacking plates, bowls and cutlery to bring back and wash. With a nod from the bar keeper she was let in the back without a word to begin washing the dishes with already boiled water. When she was finished with that she went back with the cloth to wipe down the tables and chairs.

To finish she picked up a broom and started sweeping. She wasn't surprised to find that she did not have to explain herself to the staff of the tavern, many herbalists from the Temples had gone through these parts and one or two would have done similar actions had they been near the inn. Their mannerisms and apparel always gave them away, so the bar keeper probably knew one of the two of them would see to helping eventually and they would have no need to pay them for it.

It was lucky for Avalynn that as she swept she still though of the letter or she would have been shocked all over again for it's sudden arrival. This time however, the process seemed faster and the darkness stayed away. The breeze picked up warm and flourishing and the ghostly painted swallows flew around once more in their dance as a letter, this one surprisingly small, appeared in Pandora's hand. With that the swallows were gone again, and Pandora handed her the letter. Avalynn took it patiently and didn't even open it until after she had finished the sweeping and returned the broom to it's spot.

Gwenyth had noticed the letters arrival however and had came back inside. She tapped her foot impatiently while Avalynn swept, and abruptly stopped everytime Avalynn glanced her way. She joined her with the letter so that they could open and read it together. Avalynn again marveled at how short it was, but perhaps with such a startiling magic display the elders thought it might be easier to send the letter if it was smaller.

Dear Avalynn,

It is our decision as the Elders and guidance of these Temples to grant you your request on this journey. It is also our decision that it should be you alone, and we will have Stella and Gwenyth return at once to the Harmyn Temples. We will further communicate to you by bird, and if you can you will send whatever pay you make back this way as well. You are allowed to use a small percentage of your earnings for necessities; we let you use your judgement to determine what is necessity but remember you are accountable for every coin spent and will report later. We send our blessings to you and hope that you may be successful in this quest, and could think of no greater candidate. We need not remind you of the way and your duties to follow it.

Sincerly, The Elders.

The letter was sloppy, that much was obvious. They had been in a rush to send it and write, meaning they had debated long. Avalynn was not shocked to see the letter addressed to her, she had written the first after all, but she was surprised to find out that she would be going on alone. Out of the three of them, Gwenyth was the strongest and much more capable of such an adventure. She would have handled it best, but perhaps her outbursts had been her fall. Still, after that Stella was more athletic, certainly more apt for this job. She thought they would have wanted all three, or at the very least two of them going to double or triple the expected pay. The Elders had chosen only her even under all these circumstances, but they must have had a strong reason. The Elders took no decision lightly. Avalynn was not permitted to question their will, only to serve it. It would be her to journey on and Gwenyth and Stella would return home.

Avalynn was also surprised to read that she wold be allowed a percentage of the pay to spend, it was not the first time the Elders had sent permission like this to one of their pupils, but it was a first for her. She knew what it really was though, simply a courtesy. It was a long journey and it was meant as a last resort. Avalynn doubted that she would need to spend any of her earnings and quickly dismissed it.

Gwenyth was a slower reader, so it took her a moment to catch up but when she did she frowned.

“Immediate return?” She said with a sigh “But who am I to question? It is settled then. Avalynn you will press forward and Stella and I leave in the morning. There is no sense in me staying here now.”

Gwenyth with renewed posture and manners rose to leave. Avalynn could see she was now trying to compensate for her previous misdemanour.

((OOC: I sort of just fastforwarded to the retrival of the letter, sorry. I didn't want to drag out the next posts longer then necessary. If you want to add something Keke or completely change it go ahead, I understand and will edit accordingly. I also don't know if the magic was supposed to affect anyone the way I made it affect Avalynn (I suspect not), but I just felt that due to proximity and just her generally purer nature that I couldn't let the moment go without Avalynn feeling something.))

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Richard quickly hid his surprise beneath his all purpose seen-it-all-before face. Magic was not something he wanted to get involved with at the best of times. A sword was a sword was a sword. Magic could be a fire or a blade or a poison or a light or whatever you wanted it to be, but never for long. Sooner or later it went away again, and when it did you had nothing left.

He already has all his equipment, so he doesn't need to buy anything.

Ed.

((Great post Muttsy, I love it. you too ed))

Pan waited patiently for the arrival of a reply, watching all those around her. A small smile played on the edge of her lips as she thought of the possible reactions the recipient of the letter might have had upon receiving it. When the response materialized in her hand, she immediately handed it over to Avalynne and then returned to her musing and observing.

A rotund little man of the dwarven persuasion waddled toward the small party, ringing his hands and chewing his bottom lip. Nervous sweat beaded his forehead and hairless upper lip, all the while his nose twitched in a most curious fashion. He stopped before Pandora, eyes transfixed on his metal toed boots.

“Umm? Yer grace? That is to say, milady? If ye don't mind? Umm... Could ye put the coinage away? Yer makin' the barmaids nervous?” Pausing to swipe a hand across his brow, he wrinkled his nose and for the first time glanced at Pandora. “And stop with the magery? Ye've scared away all me customers?”

“I beg your pardon?” Pandora asked, eyes widening slightly with incredulity.

“Ye can beg for anything ye want, so long as ye stop?” He said, brow furrowing and mouth turning down. “...and pick up the bloody money! It's a disgrace to security. Have ye lost yer bloody, flaming female mind?”

Before Pandora could form a response, the potbellied man waddled off much more quickly than he had arrived, ginger beard swaying from side to side with his haste. Removing a filthy towel from a loop on his thick leather belt be began furiously wiping rings of condensation from a nearby table, muttering quite loudly to himself, “Sheep swallop thievin' women, no common sense... Not a nary grain of intellect amongst the entire flaming gender. Never a woman born who didn't trouble some man. An me most of all!”

Throwing a sweeping dirty look over his shoulder, sparing not a individual present from his ire, he moved on to the next table. Grumbling ever louder, “Bloodied buttered beer! That addle brained female! Peabrained woman clearing out my tavern. No decent law fearing man would walk around in the middle of a civilized 'stablishment throwing mage-work around like it's whiskey. The shadows! Alive. I saw it with my own eyes.”

Huffing heavily, he tottered back behind the bar, tucking the filth encrusted towel back into his belt.

“Should be outlawed,” He uttered, before glancing around to gage reactions. Whipping the towel out once more, he stared fixedly at the bar, polishing away at an imaginary spot, astutely ignoring all present.

Carefully emptying her face of all emotion, Pandora sat gingerly on the edge of a wicker chair, hands folded demurely in her lap. She quietly considered the dwarf's harsh words. Had she behaved irrationally? Perhaps... She had been rash.

Glancing around, she observed that the common room of the Inn was indeed devoid of customers. Had she done that? And not even noticed... Frightening the civilians... How appalling. Should I apologize? she wondered. No, that wouldn't do. Such a show of weakness... Finally, after due consideration, she determined that the best course of action was no action. She would wait an interim of a few minutes, and then retire. But the coins! Should she pick them up?

Suddenly she missed George. He would have stopped her from making these mistakes. Subtly, so that no one would notice, he would have prevented it...

Before she could stop herself, her pink tongue darted out to wet her lips nervously. Nothing was going as she thought it would. What if they left? They had to help her find the shards, they just had to. It was so vitally important. The sands in the hourglass were trickling on and on... Oh, why had she sent George away!

"Y'know," said Richard to Pandora, "I've seen a lot in my time. Adventurers don't scare easily." He put his elbows on the table and rested his chin on folded fingers. "Civilians, on the other hand... Well, there's a reason towns have guards."

With Gwenyth departed and what little chores Avalynn could help with completed, Avalynn decided it was best to retire for the evening. So many of their growing gang seemed to have done so already, and Avalynn realized that amongst the excitmenets of the evening she was not certain how many and who all were in their party. It was too late to find out now, unless she were to sneak a glance at the sign-up sheet but that would be nosy and on top of that, she would still only know names.

In the morning then she would have to spend the time to meet her fellow crew, since she had been traveling some time and was already set to go with all the supplies she needed and would not have to shop in the morning. Perhaps she could shop with the others though anyway, just to learn about them? She was lucky to be one of the two girls that carried a bow, but she wondered if she might need some more arrows. Perhaps not right away though, depending on how many she planned on using in the next few weeks. She always tried to reuse them, and what could she need arrows for other then hunting some game?

It was a clear night and Avalynn felt that she would not have to worry about rain. The road was not far from here and past the clearing their was a small wood and stream. She could start a fire, boil some water for tea then sleep and wake early to return.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Malta was impressed at the magical display. He had only seen 5 or 6 other mages perform such a spell, and they were all top-notch magicians with towers who's mortgages had been payed off. He was getting more and more comfortable with the idea of having... Pandora as their leader. If anything, her enigmatic nature made him even more confident, as he found that generally the more mysterious the mage is, the more powerful/knowledgeable.

He looked around to notice that most of the other people were gone. Probably from the light show. He decided it might be time to meditate himself. Sleep was beyond him, but meditation always made time pass by much faster than just staying fully conscious. He felt lucky enough that he might daydream.

With a slight groan (he was still a little soggy from the rain a few hours ago), Malta got up onto the counter folded himself up into a small square of paper, with his face at the front. He trusted the barkeeper would leave him alone. Malta had done this quite a few times at the Orcshead Inn.

It had been centuries since Pandora had last felt so out of control of her emotions. Normally, she was quite contained, even stoic. What had possessed her? It wouldn't surprise her to find that the recent excitability was due to a spell being cast to intentionally tamper with her senses. Pushing the thought aside, Pandora stood. If an empath or mage was meddling, she would soon learn of it and they would regret their actions mightily.

As Richard spoke, Pandora's inscrutable golden gaze lifted and she silently watched his every movement. When he finished, a slight smile touched her face and her hands unfolded. She bowed her head slightly in gratitude as a tranquility entered her heart and warmed her internally. Many things she had expected to find when she posted the bulletin advertising the expedition, but kindness from strangers and a vagabond hero had not been among their number.

With a face as blank and cold as a snow drift, Pandora turned to address the angry dwarf, “For over fifteen hundred years after The Breaking, the Kalgarlands faced a never ending tide of war and death.” Her voice was clear and sweet, easily carrying throughout the common room. Though it was not raised, it would easily be heard outside the doors of the inn and on the village green beyond, perhaps even to the very edge of the village. “Orcs flowed out of the Mystic Mountains like a flooding river, carrying with them an annihilation unheard of in other regions. The Kalgarlands stood like an iron rampart between the orcs and the rest of the world. Not a single orc passed over the rivers guarding her borders, and the other nations were kept safe because of the blood lost by those they consider little more than barbarian savages.

“At the time, the region had not even a name. Many referred to it as the home of the orcs, or the dying grounds, for that is what an average person would do here: Die. But a hearty breed of people found a way to live, they farmed the rich soil, tended sheep and raised families of great warriors, men and women alike.

“Finally, the creator heard their despair and a great General was born. He formed the many small clans of the Kalgarlands into a single great army and lead them to a celebrated victory. Assault by bloody assault he commanded them to the very base of the mountains. Not an inch of ground was won that wasn't soaked in the blood of the so called barbarian people.

“There at the foot of the mountains, he found a hole leading to the underground that the orcs billowed out of like smoke from a chimney. The great General ordered a stone fortification built to seal away the chasm opening the crust of the earth. Like a dam to stem the tide of a river, the orcs were isolated in darkness and they have not surfaced since.

“While the orcs were gone, they were not forgotten, and the commander ordered a Fort built. One large enough to welcome many inside, large enough to accommodate the people of his land.

“Kalgar called it the Orc's Head, for he had the taxidermied skull of the Orc Chieftain preserved and hung over the door as a warning to all orcs.” Expression tranquil, Pandora lifted a delicate hand to indicate the leathery green skinned head hanging over the entrance. “It was a place of safety for any and all who requested sanctuary.”

A knit formed between her brows and she pinned the dwarven bartender with her icy honey colored gaze. “Is this what Kalgar's blood has diluted to? Odious little men fighting for a place to hide from shadows?” Her voice fell to a dangerously low level, her gaze never wavering, “Has the safety of the house of Kalgar been so diminished that a woman cannot be seen to possess a smattering of gold? If you are so taken with the sight of a few coins, my good dwarf, keep them.”

Giving the barkeep no chance to respond, Pandora walked the few steps to retrieve her fallen cloak, then tossed it over her shoulders in a smooth motion. She lifted her eyebrows and smiled warmly at her new found companions. “It seems we are to set off a bit earlier than anticipated. Lets rouse the shopkeepers and see if they will not allow you to provision tonight with the promise of extra pay.”

With that, she glided serenely from the inn, confident her group would follow and through the gawkers who had exited their homes and formed a small group on the Green to listen to the strange story.

The blustering little dwarf had to run to catch up, panting like the bellows of a forge, “My lady, scuse me, but I don't know nothing about that tale of your'n. I inherited this inn from my pappy, who had it from his. I ain't never seen no orc 'cept that one stuffed on me wall. If that's what it is...” He scratched his beard in puzzlement before continuing, “If you think this Kalgar was ever here, I ain't disputin' it. And I don't hold no store in no creator, men are men and that's all there is. But by my beard, you can stay. I ain't never kicked no woman out in the night, let alone two of 'em, and I don't plan to now.”

Pandora ignored him completely, gliding forward, “My good people, we have need of supplies, and we would do business now if it is not too inconvenient. You will be rewarded for the hassle, I assure you.”

As the townspeople began to scurry about to open the stalls in the small marketplace the dwarf all but shouted, “Din't you hear me? I said you can stay at me Inn!”

“Make certain that you stock well, I don't know when we will have the opportunity to visit a market again.” Pandora reminded the group, ignoring the owner of the inn completely. “Purchase whatever you think you will need to journey comfortably. Spare no expense.”

Putting the dwarf completely from her mind (if he spoke she heard it not at all,) the lady paused to touch a silk kerchief at a stall of textiles. She considered purchasing it, for it was neatly embroidered with a fine hand and not something one would normally expect to find in the wilds of the Kalgarlands. And it was such a nice shade of blue...

But she was soon distracted by a fletcher's display, “Oh yes, be mindful of the number of arrows you possess. One can never have too many on such a journey... Everyone should have a bow, if you aren't experienced with archery, it will be taught to you.”

((sorry it's such a long post you guys, please don't feel obligated to respond in kind, but also please do read it to the end >.<))

Avalynn had already started the fire where she had seet up a small camp off the road and on the outskirts of the village. She had taken off her long dress and coat, stripped down to nothing actually and was in the process of bathing in the stream (least she should start a long journey without one proper cleaning). It was then, when she thought she was alone and thus safe to take her clothes off, when she heard Pandora's voice.

At first, she did not know who's voice it was and it frightened her so bad she dove under the water least anybody should see her. Especially if it was a man, that was strict offence right there. She couldn't stay underneath indefinitly however, and slowly rose her head up and looked around. No one seemed to be there, but she could still hear the voice, and recognized it. Avalynn had missed most of what she had been saying in the beginning at this point. She did however catch the last bits of her words. It sounded like the plans had changed, Pandora was assembling them all now and she wanted them to shop for supplies!

Avalynn felt the panic now, she had to hurry back! She was certainly not a long ways away from the Inn, It had been about a fifteen minute walk, but she had just set up a make shift camp. She'd have to dress again and gather everything back up. The stream was cold, and it motivated her to finish faster.

Once she was clothed and her hair brushed, she quickly grabbed her things and made sure the fire was out. Running back out on to the road again, she slowed down and maintained a more approriate fast stride towards the town once more. She was aware of the footfall of a horse behind her and what sounded like a buggy, and moved to the side of the road for them, only to have them stop.

"You wouldn't be walking this way back to town would ya?" The man was seated on a fairly old buggy that looked in need of repairs, but the man himself looked much older.

"Yes sir, I would." She answered and bowed her head slightly.

"Well no sense in leaving you out here to walk! Come aboard. I haven't seen such a proper lady for some years."

"Thank your sir, your kindness is impecable." She said and even with his frail bones, Avalynn could see he was probaly pained with arthritis, he helped her uptop the buggy and sent the horse moving again.

With a new speed they made their way back to the town, and Avalynn let the old man share his stories and listened with all the patience she was taught. His name was Kojak and he talked mostly about his horse and how he came upon such a fine one. Avalynn watched the horse who took her extra strain and weight without complaint. Unlike his owner, the horse was young, probably a Pinto judging by the colouring. Avalynn always liked animals, and she enjoyed as the man told her about Spade (the horse) and how he'd never had a better friend all his life. It was such an alien concept to her, the way the man talked about the horse as if it was his equal. Avalynn liked animals it was true, but she had little experience with them first hand.

She would have stayed longer, but as soon as they were in the marketplace she said her goodbye. Just before he drove off again, she dug into her bag and pulled out a small jar. It had some leaves in it, the tea from them would help with the man's arthritis.

"Here sir, it will help with some of your pain." She said.

Kojak shook his head, refusing but Avalynn persisted, placing the jar in his hands herself.

"Please sir, as a token of gratitude." She said.

"Now what a funny sort of girl you are." Kojak said scratching his head "Just what are you doing here anyway?"

"I'm going on a journey. My employer called us back to gather supplies so that we could be on the road." She said.

"Supplies?" The man said "Well I'll be. Why don't you take a look at some of the junk in my buggy? I might have some usefull things for you. I was bringing it all up to see if I could sell it, but I'm afraid half of it's older then I am and that's the truth. I'd just end up throwing most of it out. Go on, take some things."

Avalynn hesitated a moment, and Kojak just went straight back pulling things up for her anyway.

"Here, an old leather canteen for water. Still works too, though I admit it I hardly used it to carry water. I see you have a bow there, but have you a quiver?"

Avalynn didn't have time to answer, as Kojak just rattled on.

"What am I saying? I can obviously see you don't. The straps busted up here on this one, but I reckon a women such as yourself would know a thing or two about a thread and needle. It's even got some arrows in it still, well I'll be." He laughed "Now, there must be somthing else of use in all this junk that ought to help a women on the road..."

"Really sir, I couldn't impede on you any longer. This is more then you should give me for I have given you nothing." She said.

"Nonsense." Kojak replied "It's not fancy stuff, worn. I'd really just giving you trash when you look at it, but I can tell that you haven't a coin to your name on you. Here it is, one last thing. It's of no use to me, but maybe you could do with a new brush for your hair."

Giving her the last of his treasures, Avalynn was finally able to persuade him to give her no more. She waved as he drove off with his load. All in all she had spent no more then fifteen minutes with the man, if that, but it had been pleasent. The rhythimc beating of Spade's hoof fall faded and the sudden thought of a horse reminded her of Pandora once more. Did Pandora not say they would be traveling on mounts? Avalynn hadn't thought of it to this point, but where they now expected to find a horse for themselves? That would serve as a problem certainly. Avalynn was not permitted any sort of pet, although if she considered the horse as simply a mount and gave it no name it might be alright.

Spotting Pandora, Avalynn made her way over and as usual greeted Pandora in a slight bow and curtsy before speaking.

"Miss Pandora, are we also expected to find a mount for this journey now?" She asked.

((OOC: Thanks for the highlights there Keke, It made me laugh. I'd like to think we could all have gotten the hint without the neon sign but who knows, maybe it would have been too subtle. )

Hearing a commotion outside, Shadow awoke. Looking out his window he saw the group assembled in front of the inn. "They must have made a change of plans", he thought as he made his way downstairs and out the door.

As he walked out the door, he heard Pandora say to spare no expense in getting necessary supplies, and that everyone should have a bow. Walking over to the first stall, Shadow began looking for the things he needed. "She wants us all to have bows huh? It's been ages since I've used one of those, I doubt they'd have anything suitable for an elf..." He said as he noticed a black bag. "Now this would be useful, it's large, I can wear it across my back and it'll be hidden by my cloak too".

Finally, shadow had most everything. He had been to almost all the stalls, and picked up enough varying supplies to fill his new bag. His last stop was at the archery stall. Walking up to the owner, He asked, "Do you have anything suitable for an elf? My preference would be willow". "Let me see", the stall owner said as he went inside. Returning a few moments later, he handed Shadow an elegant looking bow. "Try giving that one a draw", he said. Shadow pulled back on the bow, as if he was to let an arrow fly, and then let it go with a nice twang. Satisfied with the feel he said he'd take it. "Alright, and seeing as you seem to be an elf who knows what he's doing, you'll probably need this", he said as he handed Shadow a quiver full of arrows. "It's the biggest one I have, it'll hold about 50 arrows". Thanking him, Shadow paid the man for the equipment and walked back over to Pandora, ready to begin the expedition.

The watchers on the wall dragon_berry's Avatar

“Oh yes, be mindful of the number of arrows you possess. One can never have too many on such a journey... Everyone should have a bow, if you aren't experienced with archery, it will be taught to you.” Pandora said, watching Fletcher’s display.

Regne walked into an archery stall and examined a few arrows in the stall’s display. He could easily spot at least 20 different types of arrows from willow woods to oak woods. “I’ll have 4 dozens of those mahogany wood arrows please” Noticed a nice light brown arrow on the right corner of the shelf, Regne asked enthusiastically “Oh, and a bow string just in case and I have my own quiver, thank you” Regne quickly refused when he saw the shopkeeper tried to take a quiver from the shelf top. Regne paid the man with a few silver coins he get from Pandora and leave the stall.

Regne visited most of the stall and rechecked what he had bought. A few dozen of arrows, a few cloaks and coats, a small silver knife, a medium-sized bag and a water pouch. Satisfied with everything he bought, he put his clothing inside his new-bought bag and tied the water pouch in his waist. The last time he stocked up for a long journey is when he left Glade a few months ago with a very small party consist of five peoples including himself. “Well, I guess I should head back to Pandora, I don’t want to get left behind for such a small matter of being late” he murmured and head back to the meeting place. As he paced toward Pandora, he saw almost everyone has gathered around her, stocked with new quivers and bags. He saw a few people even started getting to know each other and chatted. Regne looked around and saw that even Pandora has stocked up. In a few moments everyone has gathered back in front of the tavern with their new equipments.
    --A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world--

Fallen_wings Global "Warming" Poke_Hunter Eon Spirit Trixie God

Silver_Espeon, Myuu, Shadow and The Editor

To either side of the narrow cart trail leading north from the village, towering black barked pines swayed in the gentle winds sweeping south off the mountains. Smooth river rocks paved the road, but here and there a large expanse of worked cobblestone peeked through. It was clear that an older road had once cut through the dense forest following the river into the foothills. Ancient stones split and cracked as sapling pines pushed through the slabs.

As the party moved out, some mounted and others on foot, Pandora kept a keen watch on her surroundings. Calm eyes constantly scanned the treeline for danger, tranquility plain on her face. Though the woods were known to be dangerous in the night, she did not seem at all concerned for their safety. She made a mental note to see to it that George found suitable mounts for their entire party.

Pandora sat her horse regally, the height of the beast emphasizing her slight frame. A snowy dress swept out from her tiny waist, laced so tightly as to appear wasp-like. Her blue cloak spread over the white rump of the animal, quiet hands resting on the horn of the ornate silver trimmed white side saddle, matching reins clasped loosely. The dainty mare clipped and clopped along the stone pathway on delicate ankles.

“That was likely the most activity that small outpost had seen in ten years,” Pandora said to no one in particular, with great amusement tinging her words. “And they will speak of it for another decade, unless I miss my guess.”

The wind picked up as they rounded a curve in the ancient roadway, biting through the clothing of the small party, chilling them to the bone. An unseasonable chill clung to the air and threatened a late spring frost before the rising of the sun. The scent of water grew stronger as the path veered closer to the river.

Without warning, a high, shrill scream pierced their ears, echoing over the treetops from high above. Huge bat like wings obscured the moon for a brief instant, it's shadow falling across the party. As it swooped down to cut across the path, a man-like creature gazed at the party with all too human eyes from a round, pale face. Bony, claw tipped hands the color of maggots slashed at the air as it let loose another ear piercing scream.

“It's a Draghkar!” Shouted Pandora over the deafening pitch, reigning in her mount. The terrified animal continued to whinny and dance at the fearful sound of the monster's scream, nearly unseating it's rider. Gracefully, Pan swung from the saddle, giving instructions in a calm voice, “Avoid making eye contact, and do not let it touch you.”

The Draghkar landed soundlessly on the pebbled road in front of the party, blocking their path. Lifting her hands, Pandora threw a small orb of blue-white light into the sky above them. It hung there like a miniature star, illuminating the path and casting the creature in hideous detail. Naked back hunched over and hands arched into bloodied claws, the deathly white thing screamed again, head tossing to display twin rows of razor sharp teeth. A pair of tightly fitting ragged black shorts clung to it's white, dirt streaked legs. It's slim bare feet were caked with mud, and each toe was tipped in a jagged black claw.

“Superficially, it might look like a man, but it is not human.” Pandora advised stoically, “If it can hold your gaze, it will hypnotize you and force you to work against your allies. If it can touch you, it can drain your life force and the very soul from your body. If it holds to you for an extended period of time, even if you survive, you will never be the same again. The Soulless eventually evolve into what you see before you. There will be nothing I can do to stop the progression of the decent into darkness.”

Withdrawing a slender silver dagger so long it could nearly be considered a sword, she held it before her in a sure grip. It was not immediately apparent where such a long blade had been hidden on her diminutive person. A fierce glint entered her amber eyes and she prepared for battle, ready to throw her petite frame into the fray.

The Draghkar's huge black orb like eyes blinked in the harsh light, and it tilted its head as Pandora spoke, listening closely to every word. When she finished, it shrieked softly and bared it's bloody teeth, head still tilted like a curious bird.

Malta noticed that the bartender was no longer at the bar. indeed, nobody seemed to be there. It wasn't that late. He awoke from his meditative state to look outside the windows. Malta Gazed out the windows of the Inn to see the bartender shouting at Lady Pandora. It appeared there was some sort of dispute over hospitality. Malta let out a sigh, unfolded himself, and walked out of the inn. Making sure to watch out for puddles in the road, he followed the party out of the outpost.

He was already regretting taking on the mission. Their leader was obviously not as emotionally stable as he originally presumed, and she now seemed quite arrogant. Still, there was not much better to do, and the mission was enigmatic and unusual. Malta knew from experience this usually meant something interesting. He shrugged his regret off and continues following along-side the horses, easily keeping pace.

A shriek brought Malta to full attention once again. He recognized it. A Draghkar was about to ambush them. He had experienced them a few times before. He was not afraid. in fact, Malta was frequently hired on as protection from Draghkars. Being a spell-drawn, eh was unaffected by the soul-sucking effects of Draghkars. In his opinion they were quite easy to kill once you learned how they fought.

Malta was drawing his sword when he hesitated. He wondered how the rest of his party would react. Slightly smiling, he replaced his sword in its sheath, wanting to see how everyone would pass their first "test".

They had set out together north, once the party had finished it's shopping and in that time Avalynn had managed to fix the old Quiver to a useable state. She now had it slung around her shoulder. It had never occured to her before, whilst they had been in the Inn or even in the small square shopping, just how few females where in their party. There was in fact, only two. Pandora, their leader and herself.

This was something that was entirely alien to Avalynn, never in her life, or at least since she was eight, had she ever been surrounded by so few females. They were completely outnumbered, and on top of that the only other female was not even from the Temples. She was in fact a sort of enigma to her, perhaps to their whole party. Sometimes she felt she had glimpses of understanding about the women, she certainly knew her better then the rest of the party, but at the same time she couldn't shake the feelings that in realitly she knew nothing.

When Gwenyth and Stella left, Avalynn hadn't fully realized until now how secluded that made her. The men made her uncomfortable, her only real interaction with men were usually as patients and you always saw patients differently then regular people. The men she interacted with outside of patients, which wasn't many or often, she was with them only briefly then they were gone. She did not know how long she would be with these men, but she knew it was certainly going to be the longest time she'd ever spent with men that weren't strictly in contact with her for medical reasons. She was comfortable with women, it was all she knew really.

She felt a sudden pang of homesickness, it was new to her. She'd left the Temples before, but always with at least two other girls. It was like carrying the Temples with them, wherever they went. Though she knew in her heart that it made no difference if there was fifty girls or just her, that she did in fact still carry the Temples with her, a larger part of her was having troubles believing it.

Her inner turmoil however had to be conquered, and masked. She was still under the Temples view and laws. She was responsible for herself and actions.

She walked at the quickest pace she could manage, but they seemed to be moving slowly in her eyes. It was the mounts, those in their party on horses had to move slower to keep up with those on foot and so just watching them made her feel delayed somehow. Back in the village Pandora had not pressed them all to get mounts immediatly, but she suspected Pandora to make good on her word and get them all mounts eventually, simply because in the time she had known her, Pandora made good on all her words. All of their expenses had been covered to this point like promised, for example.

Avalynn began to push her thoughts aside to enjoy the night air, despite being told that their journey would begin in the morning and suddenly moving them out now, Avalynn did not feet gyped or deprived of rest. She supposed it was the anxities keeping her fresh and alive now.

“That was likely the most activity that small outpost had seen in ten years,” Pandora said outloud suddenly, and though Pandora could not see her atop her mare Avalynn nodded in agreement. “And they will speak of it for another decade, unless I miss my guess.”

Suddenly, as if perhaps awakened by her words themselves, the wind picked up and with carried a shrill scream. In all of her years of aiding the sick, Avalynn had never heard such a scream. Not from any man, women or child had she ever heard such a cry, and Avalynn fancied that she had heard almost every cry that could be made. This was not of pain... this was of something else entirely. It was distinctly evil.

Suddenly the moon was eclipsed by large wings, and Avalynn wondered if it was bat except it was much to large for that. She stood frozen, until Pandora's voice called out.

“It's a Draghkar!” She instructed as she dismounted, “Avoid making eye contact, and do not let it touch you.”

“Superficially, it might look like a man, but it is not human.” Pandora continued to recite her knowledge of the creature, “If it can hold your gaze, it will hypnotize you and force you to work against your allies. If it can touch you, it can drain your life force and the very soul from your body. If it holds to you for an extended period of time, even if you survive, you will never be the same again. The Soulless eventually evolve into what you see before you. There will be nothing I can do to stop the progression of the decent into darkness.”

Avalynn had never heard of such a creature and instantly looked away from it. With an instinct unfamiliar to her she reached through her bag for her bow...

Pandora equipped herself with some kind of sword but the only weapon Avalynn knew was this one. It was the only weapon any of the women at Temples were familiar with, and even so it was only in hunting game. She was a fairly good shot though, if given time to calculate, time to observe. Avalynn realized with some terror that this would not be the same slow moving patience that hunting required. This was in fact quite the opposite. She could not track her prey, sneak upon it and wait for the perfect shot. It allowed for no hesitation, and with that in mind Avalynn drew back her first arrow and dared to turn in the direction of the monster, firing off the first shot to fly wherever it would land.

First wolves, now horrible winged demons, thought Richard. He unclipped (don't ask, it's the only way that made sense to me. Ed.) his sword from his back and considered his options, thinking about what Pandora had said. Eye contact and close proximity seemed to be a big no, so that didn't leave him many options. Charging in would be rather stupid. Protecting the archers, on the other hand... Richard held his sword firmly in front of him, focusing on the creature's chest, ready to block and parry if it should suddenly lunge forward.

Shadow Was walking along peacefully, when out of nowhere there was a scream followed something big eclipsing the moon. Shadow dropped to a crouch as he pulled his sword from it's sheath, silver runes shining. Seconds later he heard Pandora yell Draghkar as something lit up the night. "I wish I had time to make that damn modification before we left.", He thought as he looked towards the creature, eyes casting a red glow from under his hood.

Unfortunately, He had managed to look into the creature's eyes. Luckily he was an elf, so he had a little resistance, but he would still have quite a fight. Rumor was that strong elves of the past could defeat these by staring them down and breaking their spell, but this was only the second he fought, and the first he had made eye contact with. "They better move quick," He thought, "I don't know how long I can last, but hopefully it can't fight while we're staring each other down."

The watchers on the wall dragon_berry's Avatar

Everything was still a nice forest walk to Regne until the weird high-pitched scream screeched through his ears and Pandora’s description even makes it worse. The creature was only a few inches taller than Regne, yet his black wide wings made the Draghkar seems three times larger than his actual size. Again, Pandora’s light orb made the beast looks even more disturbing. Landing itself right in front of the group really made it clear that the humanoid creature actually spot the group and it want something.

“Avoid looking in the eyes or making any physical contact” Regne murmured, repeating what Pandora said “The eyesight’s not really a problem, but if it charges I don’t really know how to ‘avoid physical contact’ with that size of body” Regne hold his bow firmly and prepared an arrow out of reflexes.

The fact that he was an elf and with a bit help of Connell’s teaching, allowed Regne to had less tremor in aiming his bow in an almost ridiculously impossible level. Regne aimed his arrow at the creature’s eye and quickly looked away after locking his arrow. Looking to his left, Regne saw Shadow right next to Pandora with an uneasy expression on his face as he gazed blankly toward the creature. He must’ve seen the beast’s eye. Regne released his arrow in panic and realized another arrow flew from behind him toward the Draghkar.
    --A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world--

Fallen_wings Global "Warming" Poke_Hunter Eon Spirit Trixie God

Silver_Espeon, Myuu, Shadow and The Editor

As Regne's arrow found purchase, sinking into the cheek of the Draghkar, it bellowed a shriek, louder than ever. Seconds later it charged the party. Flinging it's arms wildly, it tried desperately to slash into the flesh of any it could reach with it's dagger like jagged claws. It's wings beat rapidly, flinging dust and small pebbles from the road into the face and eyes of the group.

The arrow protruded gruesomely from the creature's cheek, blood dripping from it's mouth and smearing down it's maggot white chin.

Shrill screams continued to pierce the ears of all present.

Malta smirked at the creature as it came through the middle of the party, right at him. He was not scared, only worried that the creature's claws might find purchase in another's skin. He caught the beast's gaze and it became transfixed on Malta' s own constantly morphing eyes. Malta unsheathed his sword and stabbed the Draghkar in the leg, not intending to kill it.

A felt a moment of satisfaction as the arrows stuck the beast. Shadow had barely weakened much when two from the party shot the Draghkar. And turns out, it couldn't fight and hypotize at the same time, so it had released him. Problem was, now it was rushing straight at the group, and he was right in it's path. Shadow jumped to his left, slashing at the beast's torso. It was close.

Shadow rolled and was back on his feet in a fluid motion. Reaching up to his face, Shadow felt the blood beginning to well from the two shallow cuts on his face, one above and one below his left eye. He wasn't worried about that, he could heal them later and no one would know they were there, but when the creature scratched him he felt it siphon away just a trace of his life force. On the plus side though, He had drawn blood as well. He wasn't sure how deep the wound was, but it seemed to be bleeding quite a lot. And there seemed to be an injury on his leg too. Also, he seemed to have it's attention again, and so it's back was towards the rest of the group.

Shadow gave the beast a creepy smile and asked, "You're gonna be a pushover ain't ya?"

Avalynn had not the strength nor the bravery that some of the men had to rush the beast head on. She was an archer, and thus was really no help to them if this creature didn't stay still long enough for her to make any kind of calculated shot.

Her first arrow fell short, and Avalynn regretted to note that had she not been more careful, it might have hit one of her fellow mates instead; a fellow by the name of Regne if she recalled. Regne also fired a shot, this one locking with the creature and sending it back. It charged the paper man, who in turn got a good slash at his leg but that only sent it on the rampage once more, this time it struck out at Shadow, who got the beast's back to face them.

This was her shot and this time she dared herself to look at the beast this time; she already had an arrow ready and had only now to aim. She'd go for the throat, that's what they always aimed to hit. This arrow she let fly fast and she could see it ready to meet it's target. The beast moved again, as expected but her arrom made contact this time below the shoulder blade. It let out another shrieking cry and whirled back to see it's attacker.

Avalynn promptly looked away, others had made eye contact with the beast in the battle, she had seem the fleeting moments of the death stares, but she could not handle such a glance. Even though she was not looking at it, it saw her and it chilled her blood. She could only hope the sudden distraction gave Shadow the opportunity for a better kill shot with his weapon.

As Shadow prepared for another head-on meeting with the beast, It's shrieked and spun around. Seeing an arrow sticking out of it's back, Shadow knew this could be the last chance before the creature got smart. Running forward, Shadow jumped and brought the sword down with both hands on the hilt to get the maximum power from it. The blade made contact with the Draghkar's shoulder, between the neck and left wing. The force allowing it to cut through the meat and bone with ease. Allowing the beast to fall forward, Shadow pulled his sword from it, cleaning the blood from it with a smooth swing. He had nearly cut it in half, and almost felt sorry as he looked at it, half wishing it'd get back up as he said, "I'd liked to have played longer, but I don't have the time..."

A frown crept across his face, exposed now that his hood was down, as he looked back at the group. "Well, what's next?", he asked Pandora.

"Bravo Mr. Shadow, I must say,
    I did not expect you to save the day.
    I would clap, if I could,
    At least it feels like I should."

Malta walked over to the Draghkar, lifted up his sword, and chopped off its head. He reached into the creature's throat and pulled out its uvula. Unflinchingly, he walked over and held it out to the healer woman.

"You may be familiar with this, 'Drag's sound',
    It's the only Draghkar treatment around.
    You probably used it to make facial creams,
    now use it before it's Shadow that screams."

OOC: Ugh, typing on my phone takes so long

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast