Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's head in a different direction with POKEDREAM FORUMS!

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

suprise Let's head in a different direction with POKEDREAM FORUMS!

Alright, so as most of you know, Mewtwo (the man with the golden balls) has found a renewed interest in his one true love, PokeDream. Problem is that the forums' activity is dwindling and if I just a guest, lurking these boards, I'd see nothing that would make me want to sign up. The only really interesting consistent going down is hilarious/informative discussion in misc and that's it. Everywhere else is dead or filled with posts that are made on an irregular basis.

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough active members right now to save the forums so what I suggest we do is think outside the box; offer stuff that other forums don't as opposed to trying to revive generic stuff.

For example, take the miscellaneous writing forum. I think we should create a chain story (how many of those do you see on Pokemon forums?) but to add to its uniqueness, you don't have to update chapter by chapter because it'd take too long. We'd just keep going at it in short bursts and eventually someone (or everybody involved) would post the finished product chapter by chapter. The short bursts could be as much as a paragraph to ten A4 pages, however much you'd like. I know it could end up a car crash but I'm feeling experimental. If you guys express interest in it, I'll start it off.

Does anyone else have any ideas to help revitalise certain sections of the forums without being boring or obvious? No matter how stupid it sounds or unsure of it you are, just post it. What's the worst that can happen?

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

That's weird; this thread isn't showing up.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I just posted a News article. It's awesome.

If you want to PM or private message me and/or any of the RP team, we could easily devise a hooking and twisting plot of deviousness and relatable characters.

What do you mean the thread isn't showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    I just posted a News article. It's awesome.

If you want to PM or private message me and/or any of the RP team, we could easily devise a hooking and twisting plot of deviousness and relatable characters.

What do you mean the thread isn't showing up?
    Good stuff.

I suppose that'd be a somewhat smart idea considering instant improvisation will more than likely lead to a train wreck.

I posted it and a message similar to a database error page came up. When I refreshed my page wasn't showing up on the index, but if I hit into PokeDream Forums Discussion, it was the latest thread posted in. My bump pushed it up on the index though so no worries.

Well Keke was always very good plot-wise, but I tend to make good characters. You should probably PM her, though, if you want a good storyline/setting

I was thinking about this in the shower and I realized we could come up with different stuff depending on which Pokemon-loving demographic we want, or mix them.

Male Teens - These can be broken down into 2 categories: The Geeky Ones and the Cool Ones who still play Pokemon anyways. Both could be easily netted in with a dystopian pokemon future/past. One for the socio-political reasons, the other because you have bad-ass Pokemon.

Male Tweens - Although annoying at first, these guys can be easily cultured to become at least somewhat quality posters (e.g. CL, Chrizz, me). The dystopian future would be one good way. Another would be a faux Romeo and Juliet-esque romance witha geeky male.

Males 20 and over - This is a toughy. However, adding noticeable humor, even dark stuff, could get a lot of older males interested. Even some secondary character who simply says humorous things. Another way would be sex. Lots of sex. (Actually, this applies to all male groups).

Female Teens - Some cutsie stuff and some humor. For the more intelligent ones, which is the ones we probably want, the same dystopian-style setting may be in order. Maybe some Romeo and Juliet stuff as well, although who the Romeo and Juliet are doesn't matter, as long as they are relatable.

Female Tweens - Do we even want these? Well, they could become good teen posters. Anyways, Twilight stuff would be the best way (an empty female protagonist with a hunky love interest who is completely devoted to her), but some cutsie stuff would also reel them in.

Females over 20 - The only poster I've seen of this type is Keke. The only way it seems to me to net in this lot is to write an intelligent story with some intellectual humor. Maybe some sexual stuff in there too.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

here's the summary of solly's post:

something, something, Pokemon-loving demographic... something, something, complete.

Male Teens - the majority of PD

Male Tweens - Kirbx

Males 20 and over - admins on PD

Female Teens - Trixie

Female Tweens - Trixie

Females over 20 - Keke

your welcome

Solly I really don't know if posting that was a tactical decision.

Figured I'd post AGAIN seeing as you guys just ain't helpin' no more. Just two points:

1. Notice a lot more guests are prowlin' round the board and more new users are joining but not posting. Maybe Mewtwo/God should set up an automatic welcome PM to start them off and become accustomed to what goes down?

2. I'll start the chain story soon because I know you guys will want to take part in it REGARDLESS.

Jesus Christ people I am fucking 16.

Well, if you want my help let me know. I'll definitely give any assistance I can.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Good Keke spread the news from the lowlyest valleys to the highest peaks from the outcasted islands and the deserted deserts.

your a little toddlebug Kirby, a wittle pink toddlebug. *huggie wubbles*

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

kirby, you are a luvdisx yo

your welcome

It seemed better in the shower...

Three thoughts.

One

Do you remember that deeply intricate vampire RP I had with an in depth religious system?

What if we did something like that, but much simplified.

Take out most of the religion, loosen the vampire caste system, answer fewer questions but ultimately make it easier for younger people to grasp...

I still have all the maps and stuff.

It would take most of the elements that Solly described and interweave them into one base story line.

Vampires, thick plot, dark humor, cutesey stuff, and there could easily be a romeo and juliet pairing. Though I must count myself out of any romantic shit because my husband is irrationally jealous about RPs.

Two

We could do a new take on Hamlet, with an incomplete cast, just bend it as we see fit. We could do modern, ancient, or stay true to the time frame. We could weave in some really interesting concepts, such as Hamlet being possessed by his father's ghost and actually quite mad... Unfortunately that means most of us are going to die at the end.

Three
    We could do a new take on the Battle for Troy, and naturally I call Heartless Helen. This would be really interesting from a religious standpoint because we could make the gods active NPCs. Helen and Achilles are demigods, Ajax and many other cast members might as well be because they are so fucking powerful... I mean think how rich with characters that epic is? This could be pretty amazing.

I like this idea best.

Other ideas:
    We could do a Pirates remake with a looser character sheet
    We could do a simple haunted house type like we did that one time
    We could do a redo of two other RPs I have saved for just such an occation.

1.) Jason Bourne meets Professor X type shit.
    2.) I wrote the end scene and we work up to that ending.

If you want more info on either of these ideas let me know. I don't want to bog everyone down with too much too fast.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

*is interested*

In which? there are seven ideas there >.<

In all of them, silly

Also we could do that "Marooned" RP I wrote, sort of a take on the TV series Lost, but with different characters and a different storyline. It could either have magic weirdness like the island in Lost or we could do a true type survival story.

The psychic one is that first one we worked on together, Ed. Remember?

It might be a little more difficult for younger people to relate to. It's a little more sophisticated, and a lot darker with more blood and drama.

The concept is that as children these two people were taken to an institute to hone their psychic skills. At some point it became apparent that they weren't incredibly powerful. When they were taken to the next level they failed. That's when the voices started in the night. A man who comforted and a woman who pressured. Before long, He started giving suggestions and the teenagers listened.

They became little more than hired killers who used their psychic gift to track and kill targets. After a while, for some unknown reason, they stopped. They ceased to receive orders from He and She. They were cut loose, rudderless.

They formed lives of their own, had families, jobs.

The Voices have returned, and the want blood...

I don't remember working on something like that...

It was like two years ago. We collaborated a story, just you and me. In Misc Writing, I think.

I thought that was a different story.

He and She

A roleplay inspired by this poem:

When he came in, she was there.
    When she looked at him, he smiled.
    Seated at a table, no need to fracture the room’s silence; noiselessly they conversed.
    Thoughts mingling were lit up, gold particles in the mind’s stream.
    Were there currents between them?
    Why, when he thought darkly, would the nerves play at her lip’s brim?
    There were fathoms in her, too, and sometimes he crossed them and landed and was not repulsed.

It begins...

The woman with jet black hair and coal eyes, looked at him, only that. In those eyes something was burning, savage, and incredibly alive. She knew what she wanted and how she wanted it... He was nervous, fidgety, sweating, and unsure. Her lips were painted a bright red; he wore a 5 o'clock shadow and a suit as though he had just came from work. Her long black tightly fitting dress was accompanied by f***-me red heels to match her smile.

Sitting in the bar, she sipped coffee; black. When he walked in she locked him in her gaze. Forcing him almost physically to come to her... and he obeyed. The area was dark, smoky, the smell of liquor on the air... The music was muted, nearly silent in there minds, something full of base, vibrating inside, beating with their hearts...

Breathlessly she said, "I know who you are."

“Do you now?” He asked, smirking and glancing at his watch. There were places to be, things to do... And people to meet. But leaving was not an option he had; at least, not yet. And this woman... When she had signaled to him he had just gone along with it, hoping to get whatever she wanted over and done with in the few minutes he had to spare before he had to meet the contact.

He breathed deeply, trying to focus. What was taking her so long to get to the bloody point? He was not in the habit of being rude to startlingly beautiful women, especially those who looked as loose as this one, but he was near the breaking point.

Giving him a quizzical look she asked, "Is that your bumpkin gone to the big city way of asking if I have proof?"

Slowly she slipped her hand up the front of her dress, pausing briefly at the dangerously low neckline before dipping her fingers in to pull a flash drive out of her cleavage. She slid it across the table, it bounced off his tie and skidded to a halt near the small candle flickering between them. "You can keep that. Don't worry, I have copies in places you would never think to look."

With a shaking hand he reached to take the device, "I suppose you are going to try to blackmail me with whatever you think you have on this."

He held it up with two fingers and shook it back and forth with a nervous grin on his face. Of course he could have had no idea that the threatening letters he had received were penned by such a beautiful hand.

She tossed her head back and laughed raucously, "I never deal in the currency of supposition."

Reaching into her lap, she pulled up a slender hand bag. Opening it she removed a pre-paid cellphone and laid it on the table. He flinched when she stood up and leaned in close before whispering, "I'll be in touch. Never think we aren't watching."

He watched her every movement as she walked away, at the exit she turned to smile as though she knew he would be looking. As she disappeared out the door he noticed the manila envelope propped on the chair where she had been sitting. Someone had placed it there after she had moved.

--- --- ---

She opened the door to her apartment and looked in the hall table drawer for the pistol she kept there. After loading the clip she went from room to room checking closets and under the bed to ensure she was alone. As she cleared the kitchen the phone began to ring.

Pressing her back to the wall she picked up the receiver and placed it next to her ear. "What?"

A clipped male Voice replied, "You're paranoid. Black was never your color my dear, you look like a bird of prey."

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

"He left the phone." The Voice rang with impatience and a slight British accent.

She demanded tersely, "Did you expect anything else? He's insane, not stupid. A deaf and dumb chimpanzee would realize that phone had a GPS tracker in it. What was in the envelope?"

"People do get over PTS..."

"The envelope..?"

"If I wanted you to know, I would have given it to you to pass along." The Voice replied levelly.

"What do you want?"

"I've arranged for you to take on a part time job as a personal assistant to the gentlemen you just had coffee with."

"Why are you doing this? He could kill me." Her voice took on a slightly panicked quality.

"Dress conservatively, none of your usual garments will do. I presume you know where to report?" Continued The Voice in a perfectly flat monotone. After a slight pause he went on, "Arrive promptly at 9am Monday morning."

"Who are you?" The fear was evident in her voice. Her eyes darted frantically around the room as she bit her lower lip. There was a faint click and she knew he had hung up. "Why are you doing this? Why me..."

Her feet went out from under her as she slid down the wall. Violently she kicked the stiletto heels off and folding her arms over her knees she began to cry.

--- --- ---

Somewhere in a darkened room a man known only as The Voice watched as savage sobs raked her body. On another monitor split into four panels a man walked in his front door, picked up a young girl and laughingly tossed her into the air.

"Ah, domesticity at it's finest. Will he never learn? Men who do the things he did do not go on to live happy lives."

--- --- ---

The weekend passed for her as many others had in the sparse apartment. She paced from wall to bare, white wall trying not to worry. After walking from the living room far wall to the bedroom she turned around and returned to the living room.

She forced herself not to look again for the video cameras she knew were hidden around the apartment. She realized the exercise was a futile one. The cameras could be anywhere, they could be as small as a needle and placed in the crack between the ceiling and the wall. The live video feed could be broadcast almost anywhere within 500ft and from there transferred over the internet anywhere in the world. The Voice could watch her from anywhere. It was a chilling thought.

The Voice had of course provided the apartment, her name, her passport, and for all appearances her very existence. When she had first heard The Voice two years earlier he reminded her of an earlier time. He had photographic evidence that should not exist. He brought forth memories of a life she thought she had left behind and forced her to relive them. Now The Voice planned to do it again and she could not stop him, for what was at stake was greater than her own life.

The one who had first came to her as she went to the man in the bar claimed he was also forced, but that didn't stop her from killing him. An overdose of insulin makes a death appear natural and accidental. It's an easy assassination without the need for brute strength, just a needle and pharmaceuticals found in any drug store. She was good at killing, it had been her job but that was supposed to be over.

After a botched assassination in Kosovo she went underground. She took on a false identity and lived a normal life. She had a boyfriend, a son, a home in the suburbs. Now that was all in ashes. All that remained to her were sporadic photographs of her son in a foster family. His life hung in the balance. If she failed this time her heart and soul would be forfeit. She couldn't even take her own life, for fear of what The Voice would order done to her child.

Now she must aid The Voice in blackmailing this man. It'd be so much easier if she was only meant to kill him, but she had strict orders not to harm him. If he resisted she hoped she wouldn't be ordered to kill his kids. That always left a bad taste in her mouth.

It would be the oldest one first, his step-daughter, then the wife, then his only biological child. For his sake, she hoped he went along easily, but they seldom did. Then or now, there was very little difference. At least one would have to die before he realized The Voice was serious.

--- --- ---

Monday evening...

When he arrived home that evening his wife was waiting for him in the hall by the door. Her eyes were red from crying and she held a box in her shaking hands, the contents of which sickened him. Inside were the bloody remains of his dog, all neatly butchered and wrapped in cellophane. Saying nothing, he merely looked at his wife for an explanation.

“I-it arrived a moment ago... I thought it was... I had no idea that it...” She was unable to continue, dropping the box she screeched as the tightly wrapped packages scattered across the floor.

“Have either of the children seen this?” He asked, crouching to pick up the pieces.

“N-no... But...”

“Shh. It's alright. I'll get rid of it right now.” He said, kissing her on the forehead. “Why don't you make yourself a cup of tea and take a hot bath? Everything is going to be okay.”

He was furious by the time he got to the car. How dare she mess with his family? She could threaten him all day, but it had just gotten personal. The wife was watching from the window, and so he started the car and pulled out of the drive way. He drove a few blocks and pulled over, searching the box for some kind of note.

It simply read: “Play by the rules.”

He was about to get on the road when a car stopped in front of him. Opening the door, she climbed out of the car, unfolding her long legs.

Smiling a slow grin, she got out of her car. The woman was wearing the same lipstick and heels. This time with tight black mini skirt and a white t-shirt. She kept her self satisfied smile and held his eyes as she walked toward his vehicle. Halfway to him her calm demeanor fell off like a mardi gras mask. Rushing toward his door she frantically gestured with her hands, "Turn on the radio!"

"What?!" While eying the woman as though she had gone mad he opened the door and stood up revealing a .45 caliber gun which he kept pointed solidly in her direction.

“They can hear everything we say. Make some f***ing noise! If there is a sound buffer they can only hear every other word at best.”

Keeping the pistol aimed at her heart he leaned in the car window and flipped on the radio. He gave her an indulgent look as the sounds of Jimmy Buffet began to drift out on the night air. “Happy?”

“Yours and your family's life hangs in the balance and the only thing you can think of is Cheeseburger in Paradise? Heh. Phenomenal.”

He moved as swiftly as a jaguar as he lunged across the space between them to place a hand over her mouth. He grabbed her arm and pushed her onto the ground. Twisting her arm behind her back he rolled her onto her stomach to plant her face against the warm pavement. He put a knee on the small of her back and leaned in near her ear while placing the cool barrel of the gun to her temple.

“I am going to remove my hand now, and you are not going to scream. Instead you are going to very carefully answer my questions if you expect to leave here alive. Now, give me one reason I shouldn't break your neck and be done with this?" He slowly removed his hand and she took a few ragged breaths before answering.

“I am the only one who can explain to you what is going to happen to your family over the next few days. Didn't you look at the flash disk? Ever wonder how they got that information? Your home and your car have been bugged by an organization ran by a man and a woman. It has no name, but they are ruthless in their punishments. He and She will do anything if it makes the means justify the ends. If you kill me... At your little girl's funeral will you wonder if I could have saved her?”

"Alright. You have my attention. Talk, but no more vague threats to my family." He released her arm and leaned back a few inches.

"Not here, they are watching and listening. They have access to every traffic cam in this city and many of the security cameras. They haven't bugged your office but one of the people you work with may be a Watcher."

"A Watcher? Look lady, all I know is you've threatened my family and wove a fairy tale out of air. You are on thin ice." He sighed as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Why do you think I freaked as I was approaching you? The traffic cam on the street light above the stop sign followed my every move. I'll explain it all at the office..."

Before he realized what had happened she slipped away and was walking toward the passenger side of his car. Pursing his lips he shook his head and checked his watch. It couldn't hurt to give the crazy bitch a little talk time before he offed her. He had every intention of placing two bodies in the city dump that night.

"No way. You drive, get over there." He motioned with the barrel of the gun toward the driver's side of the car.

She laughed as she ran around the front of the car and slipped in the driver's seat. He kept his eyes on her as he got in the passenger side and placed the box of dog in the back seat.

"Nice car. I would have fingered you as a minivan sort of guy." She looked over and winked at him as she started the car and began to drive toward his office.

"You may think this is a game, but I'm not playing. My daughter loved that dog. How do you know my office isn't bugged, and what makes you think my car is?"

"I didn't kill your dog. I'll tell you who did when we get to your office. You didn't look at the flash drive did you?"

He slammed a fist into the dash. "I asked you a question and I expect an answer!"

"You were just a kid when it first started. You wanted something and suddenly your mom or dad decided to give it to you after all when they had been adamant about not letting you have it. You knew when someone was watching you. You could feel someone approaching before they got near you. You could pick up on what people were thinking... sometimes."

"Wh-what are you talking about? You're crazy!" He wiped his brow on the sleeve of his jacket as beads of cold sweat appeared there.

"Then when you were a little older someone approached you and told you of an Institute for people like you. Said they would teach you to read minds and you already knew you could to an extent. You took them up on their offer.

"They taught you to Scan people's thoughts, to Screen your own so people with similar talents couldn't read your mind. Then they taught you interrogation techniques, they taught you Coercion but said it was wrong and never to be used.

"You thought it was fun. You always knew you were better than normal humans, they were validating that thought. You were smarter, stronger... They introduced you to other people like you.

"Next they tried to teach you remote viewing and you failed. You couldn't do it, it was too complicated, you couldn't concentrate. You tried harder and harder but it gave you such bad headaches. Soon after that the Voices in the night started. He comforted you and She pressured you. He was sympathetic, She called you a failure. Before long He was giving you suggestions and you were taking them."

Her hands were shaking on the wheel as she pulled into the parking garage beneath his building. He spoke for the first time as they parked and got out of the car.

"You're wrong. I could do it, just not the way they wanted me to. I couldn't see it all, it was hazy."

She rolled her eyes, "Get in the elevator. They'll be able to see us on the security cameras in the garage and read our lips."

When they got in the elevator she selected the correct floor.

"How do you know all this?"

"I know because it happened to me too. And He's back. Now, shut up until we get in your office."

As they got off the elevator he took out his keys to unlock the office door, but as they got closer he realized it was unnecessary as it was already open a crack. When he pushed the door open a young man burst out and ran for the stairs, clutching a duffel bag at his side.

When he started to pursue she grabbed his arm, "No use. He's probably working for them. Harming him will cause further punishment. They can be really original with their torture, trust me."

"I know that guy... He works in the mail room here."

"I told you they had a Watcher in your building. I knew that your office wasn't bugged because I was supposed to replace your personal assistant here this morning and I didn't but they didn't know I disobeyed a direct command. That kid was probably bugging your office when we interrupted him."

"How do you know they don't know?"

"I'm standing here aren't I? May as well assume they have at least some hardware in place but it may not be transmitting yet. Look, I am risking a lot by telling you this. They have my son."

She sat on the edge of his desk and crossed her legs. She tipped her head back slightly and smiled at him with half lowered eye lids as she leaned back on her arms.

"I suppose it's past time for an introduction, but I'm Stella."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast