Thread: Doing A Walkthrough Of Yellow

Default Doing A Walkthrough Of Yellow

Much harder then you think. It took me about an hour to figure out a way to record the mother fucker. First off old GBC games don't work on the DS so my normal mothods of recording don't work so I have to play and record it on my old GBA. Thats where the problem is. As you all should know GBAs produce almost no light so you need to have the lights on while playing to see. Well if you do that you can't record well with glare face down and if at a 90 degree angle no light goes to the screen (unless its faced towards the light in which case you still get glare.) I discovered after much trail and error that if I put the whole thing at an exact 45 degree angle you don't get glare but you still get light. Problem is how does one make your GBA do that without holding it up the whole time? You have to make your own GBA holder to keep it at angle not only that but the camera also needs a tripod to hold it up to the camera. So in the end I made a tripod and GBA holder out of legos. In the end I get OK results you see the stuff fine but its not as level and straight as I would like it. I guess over the next few days I will calibrate it. But I told my users it took an hour to get it this good so deal with its 1 degree angle off.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

You do know VBA has a built-in avi recording feature, right?

I refuse to use computers to play pokemon games.

It's legal if you own the game. And you're a big fucking faggot if you're camcording your screen. I hate that shit and you should honestly just kill yourself now if you were actually planning on doing that.

Like seriously, dude. It's a fucking eye-sore, the camera is shaky, the sound is horrible, and you're literally doing something that would be 3 times easier on the computer. You're really just making it worse for everybody. My opinion of you has just dropped tenfold, Kirbx.

How is the camera shacky? I have it all stable and shit.

And fuck you.

They're all the same, Kirbx.

Trust me. Camera recorded Let's Plays often appear half-assed or just plain poor. If you're looking to do a walkthrough, I suggest making it text-based. If you have a do a Let's Play, definitely go with something like VBA and some kind of screencapping software (iirc, VBA has its own software for the job).
    omae wa mou shindeiru

1. I don't want to play pokemon on a computer.
    2. I can't play pokemon on a computer.

Thats all that matters to me. Yes it looks half assed but that adds a cetain charm to it. Plenty of serious LPers use the real game to record like Jimmy and Chugga. Infact most people don't like VBAs recording because overall they just seem to good and not real.

I don't know about Jimmy, but Chugga does something weird which isn't using a ROM, but still preserves the whole quality of the game. His videos are literally pixel-perfect. I know he uses a Dazzle for his console games, but I have no idea what he does for his handheld games.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Jimmy doesn't even have it level half the time. Although I have to admit he does have good HD quality. Overall it doesn't look half bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    2. I can't play pokemon on a computer.
    Yes it looks half assed but that adds a cetain charm to it.
    Infact most people don't like VBAs recording because overall they just seem to good and not real.
    Do you want to end up, like, Retsupuraed or something?

kirbx, i'll rape you if you don't use vba... not really, but it would be quicker. but oh well, seems like you wont anyway. god speed
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]