Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OLD VS. NEW

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

Default OLD VS. NEW

this is a review segment that was inspired by the nostalgia critic

ok, so here's the premise. i take a new album or a remake/reissue of an artist, and compare it to an older/the original album.

its not too complicated.

today, i'll be tackling a very recent reissue, and compare it to its original release (issued in 2001).

this, is major organ and the adding machine!

ok, now here's the first comparison:

the organization:

ok, in the newer issue, there are 26 songs vs the original 19. the extra 7 songs really do add substance and 2 songs that are just beautifully presented. the only thing that really bugs me is the added filler tunes. 4 of the 7 new songs add nothing to the mix, and they actually feel like they ruin the ending with the remake of "what a wonderful world". the original was charming, adventurous, out of the norm, and ended with a powerhouse performance. less is more in this situation.

old wins in this situation.

now...

the quality:

the sound is definitely more refined and remastered in the reissue. they even fixed a small loop issue in "your moonpie eye". i was really impressed how they truly wanted the reissue to be audibly superior to the original, even if the original has a timeless feel, but this isn't comparing its place in time.

new wins in this situation

and finally...

the value:

ok, now this is more of a personal preference, but i'll try not to be bias. the reissue has 26 songs, and a DVD with music videos and the major organ and the adding machine hour long motion picture, however, it comes in a cardboard case. the original album comes by itself in a hard plastic case. now, in my opinion, i HATE paper cases. they are easy to destroy, they look cheaply made, and they are incredibly unappealing to me. another problem i have with the new one is that the motion picture is sort of a letdown, even if it does have a few laughs (but you'd probably not buy it unless you knew you were getting into something weird). and as for the album, i personally love the original issue because of its simplicity, its plastic case which should be manditory, and it has the artwork that the reissue leaves out.

its really a personal preference of quality vs. quantity, and i'd have to side with the old on this one. you may like the extra content and the movie, but i'd rather have a timeless album with just enough in it to be a fun time, and not seem cluttered.

old wins overall!!!

i'll continue to find albums to review in this fashon, and i'll also take requests

thanks for reading!

your welcome

Fuck shit niggerspit. Bumblebee's Avatar

I approve.

does this include covers and that sort of thing? Glee's rendition of "Don't Stop Believin", for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I approve.

does this include covers and that sort of thing? Glee's rendition of "Don't Stop Believin", for example?
    albums please, but i might do songs at some point

your welcome

uh music

what about music trollx?

your welcome

stuff

stuff? stop wasting pagespace trollbx

your welcome

stuff and junk

darn it! and i would have gotten away with it too! if it weren't for you meddling policemen

your welcome

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

i thought this thread would be about different musical eras.

(40's musics destroys 00's pop/techno excuses for music any day!)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    techno beat shit is so fucking dumb i truly despise the fags who run around my school in neon yellow and pink with those huge ass headphones blasting 'doot doot deet doot deet deet deet deet doooooooot' feeling like they're some hot shit

dasldgjkkhbkwrAS:zgtnyhlgbfjkga'fhl;mkfnbwr[sjnhtgf I MAD
    just listen to those 2 repeated chords and a constant 4/4 drum track with no progression!!!

HOWT SHIT

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    techno beat shit is so fucking dumb i truly despise the fags who run around my school in neon yellow and pink with those huge ass headphones blasting 'doot doot deet doot deet deet deet deet doooooooot' feeling like they're some hot shit

dasldgjkkhbkwrAS:zgtnyhlgbfjkga'fhl;mkfnbwr[sjnhtgf I MAD
    and yet you like daft punk

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Burned.

ShadowRaven

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pants, and the beast dwelling within View Post
    just listen to those 2 repeated chords and a constant 4/4 drum track with no progression!!!

HOWT SHIT
    once i asked some dude who likes that kind of music why he did and he said something like "i dunno, it's easy to dance to?", which furthermore proves that techno is as retarded as the people who like it.

though i don't really appreciate more the kind of people who like complex stuff just because it's complex. you know, the kind that says stuff like "dude this song is 35 minutes long all in 17/11 THEREFORE it's awesome" those aren't really much better

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBrand View Post
    once i asked some dude who likes that kind of music why he did and he said something like "i dunno, it's easy to dance to?", which furthermore proves that techno is as retarded as the people who like it.

though i don't really appreciate more the kind of people who like complex stuff just because it's complex. you know, the kind that says stuff like "dude this song is 35 minutes long all in 17/11 THEREFORE it's awesome" those aren't really much better
    dream theater is the perfect balance of complexity and general likability

your welcome

dream theater is the perfect balance of complexity and general likability
    agreed, although there are some songs i just can't stand because they seem longer than they really are. however some of their songs are the exact opposite - they feel shorter than reality instead. it depends on whether the song feels natural or complex for the sake of being complex

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBrand View Post
    agreed, although there are some songs i just can't stand because they seem longer than they really are. however some of their songs are the exact opposite - they feel shorter than reality instead. it depends on whether the song feels natural or complex for the sake of being complex
    Metropolis is my favorite song of all time

your welcome

Heh... oh you kids, Music... like almost everything else, is subjective.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

no its pointless

Metropolis is my favorite song of all time
    yeah... close. the beginning and the ending esp. are sick, the rest is cool but not spectular. (maybe i'm just mad at this song cause i can't drum it hehe)

same for stuff like a change of seasons -- to me, it's only really good after the 13th minute or so, until that point the 15/16 especially feels awkward imo.

stream of consciousness though... this song is magic.

Kirby... did you just say that music is pointless? It's one of the most influential and reflective aspects of culture... some would even lumo the development of a system of music in with government and writing as major earmarks of civilization...
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

He says the music industry is very limited, and there's no point to music
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

There isn't. I fail to see how music contributed anything to our civilization aside from a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    There isn't. I fail to see how music contributed anything to our civilization aside from a waste of time.
    one word, kirbx: culture.

Who says you need culture?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast