Thread: Porygon

Default Porygon

Porygon

Don’t be expecting porygon to jump to OU anytime soon as porygon 2 still outclassed it but porygon got a decent boost this generation with evolution stone giving it 65/129/137 defenses which are pretty good problem is its still got a shitty speed and mediocre sp attack. But with 3 great abilities and a great move pool it just might make its name in lower tiers.

HP: 65
    Attack: 60
    Defense: 70
    Sp. Attack: 85
    Sp. Defense:75
    Speed: 40

Offensive Tank
    Item: Evolution Stone
    Ability: Analyse/Download
    Nature: Modest
    Evs: 252 HP 252 Sp. Attack 6 Sp. Def
    -tri attack
    -ice beam
    -thunderbolt/charge beam
    -recover

The goal here is rather simple after your analyse or download boost then proceed to do massive damage on your opponent’s team. Tri-attack is a great stab move and thunderbolt and ice beam or “bolt beam” have almost flawless coverage with one another and tri attack. Charge beam is an option over thunderbolt to rack up boosts. Recover heal up damage if it starts to lay down heavy but with low speed you have to predict the damage you take well or else you’re a goner. The evs maximize the sp attack to hit hard and then HP to be as bulky as you can with the remaining evs to tank. The main choice here is analyse or adaptability download boosts up your offense by 30% always or adaptability for the higher 50% but only against specially frail pokemon download is more safe but adaptability gives you that extra umph.

Specially Defensive Wall
    Nature: Calm
    Evs: 252 HP 6 Defense 252 Sp. Defense
    -tri attack
    -ice beam/hidden power ground
    -thunder wave/toxic
    -recover

Porygon is a pretty good specially defensive pokemon able to take many special hits and recover off the damage. And with its still 2 great offensive abilities hit back hard. Tri-attack is great stab and ice beam hits hard on whatever else if you wish though hidden power ground can be used to hurt steels rocks but you will e fodder for ghost types. Thunderwave or toxic to cripple walls as always toxic for stall teams or thunder wave for offensive teams. Recover heals off any damage you take and need to get rid of. The evs and nature maximize your sp defensiveness to of course take special hits. You can choose to become physically defensive if you wish but there are much better pokemon for the job.

Trick Room Set Up And Abuse
    Nature: Quiet
    Ivs: 0 speed
    Evs: 252 HP 252 Sp. Attack 6 Sp. Defense
    -trick room
    -tri attack
    -ice beam
    -recover

Porygon is a decent trick room set upper in lower tiers and it can abuse it with that low speed. Although it might not look like it porygon actually has a minimum base 125 sp attack with analyse and with download its much higher. Tri attack is a great stab move and ice beam while it may not hit with super effective damage to rock types most are also ground types and will hurt that side. Hidden power ground can be used but you will have to ditch that 0 ivs in speed for more power which is a problem. Recover to heal off damage. The evs maximize sp attack to sweep and then HP to take hits. 0 speed ivs and quite as a nature makes you as slow as possible to sweep.

Gratity Set Up And Abuse
    Nature: Modest
    Evs: 252 HP 252 Sp. Attack 6 Sp. Defense
    -gravity
    -thunder
    -blizzard
    -recover

While trick room increases speed this set increases power allowing it to use thunder and blizzard. And porygon already has great power so this just makes it even more. Thunder and blizzard are a much stronger and powerful “bolt beam” hitting everything hard and having good paralysis and freeze chance. Tri attack is also an option but its only gaining a measly 15 power and losing out on hax chances. Recover heals up damage if you need to. The evs maximize sp attack to hit hard and then HP to take hits.

Other Options:
    -trace can be used but its only an option on the wall set everything else needs the power and in lower tiers unlike porygon 2 in MU and OU for porygon UU and RU have pokemon with bad abilities not worth copying
    -psychic and psycho shock hurts fighting type switch ins psycho shock also does massive damage to special walls but must fighting types can take a hit can hit hard or even kill you on the next attack generally bolt beam is fine enough for coverage shadow ball has the same reason
    -discharge may allow you to ditch thunderwave on the wall set but for everything else you need the power thunderbolt or thunder has
    -sharpen increases speed but you will need quite a few boosts before you can sweep trick room is much better
    -rain dance or sunny day can be used but neither help porygon besides being able to use solar beam and that’s meh
    -magic coat is can be used to bounce back any taunts but its hard to fit in
    -conversion 2 can be used be its hard to find a move slot and its rather gimmicky

Team Options:
    -poison or ghost types take fighting hits some ghost take those earthquakes too but if you want more defensive coverage get a defensive wall
    -trick room and gravity teams of course the walls set can work well on a stall team or as just a special wall
    -having problems with special walls a physical attacker works well
    -steel types can be an issue so in UU dugtrio can be used or a steel trapper

Counters:
    -status absorbs on the wall
    -physical attackers
    -slow pokemon with trick room
    -special walls for pretty much anything

RU probably although I am open to expanding the limits on NU

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

poy 2 is still beast in OU 5th gen.

RU-UU pory1

your welcome

UU? how? hitmonlee and top will distroy this thing

RU, whatever.

do something good like pory 2.

your welcome

in UU there are no good abilties to trace thats why no one used it in UU last generation

and analyse is bitching

evo stone IS GOD

your welcome

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

5th Gen is going to be interesting with all these NFE's all running around.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

NFE's have overrun competitive battling in 5th...

its soo beautipul

your welcome

its scary metagame where snorlax is UU in mnay places and they just bad to ban latias and mew from UU ._.