Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You spelt 'et cetera' wrong

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default You spelt 'et cetera' wrong

Fao Atomika

i hate when people say ek cetera

Has this incongruous gamin never studied lingua latina?

i've been meaning to learn french. didnt know where to start so just bought one of those self study guide things. whats the best french learning method hicky.

i would combine loads of different methods not related to expensive 'LEARN FRENCH NOW 1000 REVOLUTIONARY USED BY UN, NASA, EU, U.S. OFFICE OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, ALIENS ATTEMPTING TO STUDY EARTH'S LINGUISTICS' packages because on a conjecture-based argument they are fraudulent and do not work, and I can speak french fine without them

get a french textbook and acquaint yourself with the basic rudiments of the language, find someone who speaks the language and ask him to enunciate french characters and say french words and check if you're speaking it right.

then once you get better read a free news site like LeMonde and check the world news in french, and then discuss the news and analyse it in English. listen to french radio but as opposed to a news radio a sort of jazz radio that you can just sit back and say 'hey I recognise that word' because that will naturally lead you to pick up certain patterns and achieve fluency, read french.about.com and look up grammar patterns that you're not sure of and actually learn the grammar, as well as get 'Mot a Mot' and 'Bescherelle' as resources which I don't think are too costly and extremely useful.

then get a pen-pal who speaks very basic english so you can't fall back on english being their second language but can inquire the word of certain things, that will do wonders.

when you're learning a language you have to develop all of your skills, so make sure you're not just reading and going 'HEY I KNOW FRENCH NOW' because you can make sense of it. bottom line is if you've never learnt a foreign language fluently or to a good level before, then make sure you know someone who can speak french and he can check if you're saying stuff right as well as say 'that's good but you missed the liaisons/you mispronounced the graves etc.' it doesn't need to be someone fluent in french, just someone who knows how to pronounce shit

I've learnt the basics of french, but I don't really practise it much, so I'm not fluent.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

who cares?

Actually it's the old part of the Runescape map from a couple of years ago, I think both islands are separated now and corrected the spelling. I thought it kinda resembled PD since we all mainly post in the Misc. Forum section of PD.

Quote Originally Posted by trixie View Post

I've learnt the basics of french, but I don't really practise it much, so I'm not fluent.
    I'm planning on learning french one of these days, at the moment I know and speak German and a little Russian

KING OF THE UNIVERSE Goku_king_anime's Avatar

I'm actually taking french lessons.

french is tough though - the basics aren't hard to learn but there are so many intricacies. the french language is literally filled with exceptions. french is my mother tongue, i'm supposed to be super good at it and sometimes it blows my mind in ways i'd have not thought possible.

english is way easier - less exceptions, nouns have no gender, verbs are much easier... though i can't really complain cause i'm equally good at both french and english

Quote Originally Posted by Atomika View Post
    I'm planning on learning french one of these days, at the moment I know and speak German and a little Russian
    I want to learn Russian.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

Speaking russian just somehow sounds cool, the language itself is legit

We at war with the army of haters And when we kill em we just smoke 'em like papers. Kelsh's Avatar

My best friend is from Russia and speaks it fluently. It's pretty neat.
    "There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it."
    - Guatama Buddha

It would be nice to be able to read Russian.
    Originally made by LM:

I can read Russian pretty well, but not much to read if your in a city filled with Asians and blacks like I am :/

We at war with the army of haters And when we kill em we just smoke 'em like papers. Kelsh's Avatar

Where are all the asians you speak of?
    "There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it."
    - Guatama Buddha

Neat.
    Originally made by LM:

Excuse me, but where are all the blacks?

I have read all of Laurell K. Hamilton's books based in St Louis and I only counted 4 maybe 5 black people total. That is including the black vampires.

so watchu talkin bout willis

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

also hicky you spelled "spelled" wrong.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

'Spelt' is the common U.K. past tense of 'spelled'. I occasionally do not factor Americans into account when considering my diction.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

British people use "Spelt" instead of "Spelled" Keke. Like how they also use "Learnt" instead of "Learned".

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariruri View Post
    Where are all the asians you speak of?
    University city where most college kids are. My dad works at Wash. U and he says it's covered with Asians and thats just 1 out of the 5 of universities. Don't want to even think about the community collages

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    Excuse me, but where are all the blacks?

I have read all of Laurell K. Hamilton's books based in St Louis and I only counted 4 maybe 5 black people total. That is including the black vampires.

so watchu talkin bout willis
    Keke, you get a goldstar for reading Laurell :O

And I think you both are not including East STL

Quote Originally Posted by trixie View Post
    Neat.
    Indeed. Especially when your in a apartment filled with manga/anime addicts who like to hold reading circles in the basement This week we talked about SGT Frog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast