Thread: Passive Voice

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default Passive Voice

What the hell is it and do I use it on PD often. If so, I want all of you to correct me every time I use it. Supposedly, using it in history papers is very unprofessional, why haven't I learned this until now? Like seriously, not using passive voice is harder than quitting cigarettes. Why is passive voice so bad anyways?

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Being assertive is everything.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

ONLY FAGGOTS USE PASSIVE VOICES

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

"The boy was petting the dog."

As opposed to:

"The boy had pet the dog."

Or even more passive:

"The boy had been petting the dog."
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

Haver of sex

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    "The boy was petting the dog."

As opposed to:

"The boy had pet the dog."

Or even more passive:

"The boy had been petting the dog."
    What he said.
    I can be hard really hard to correct this.
    the best way to think of it is never have the item (or person) who is doing the action, described as doing the action. You have to show them doing the action. They need to be actively doing something.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ive-voice.aspx

Go to this when you need help.

I have a good question

WHO THE FUCK CARES

i honestly dont know what the difference is and dont care. i write in whatever way is best suited for whatever i happen to be writing.

Why is it unprofessional? As long as it sounds and is grammatically correct and fits the context etc, why would it make a difference?
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

That's the thing, it IS grammatically correct, it just is looked down upon by historians. And God I feel the same way, I REALLY hate this shit.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Write the same thing in the two different voices and compare.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

thats ridiculous. i honestly cant believe you are being smited because of something as stupid as that

to be honest ive never even heard of it before

Haver of sex

I had to learn the difference to pass the act and junk. Write college resumes and college essays.

Quote Originally Posted by trixie View Post
    Write the same thing in the two different voices and compare.
    IF I could tell the difference I would, but I really can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    thats ridiculous. i honestly cant believe you are being smited because of something as stupid as that

to be honest ive never even heard of it before

If Eve, a British woman, doesn't see the problem then I don't know why American Historians should either.

Quote Originally Posted by error 404 View Post
    I had to learn the difference to pass the act and junk. Write college resumes and college essays.

That's the thing, I want to write in historical journals one day, I have to get used to this now.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

The opposite is 'active', which means that a sentence is framed in a way that the person performing the verb is the active belligerent of the verb.

So 'I own a cow' would be active. The 'passive' would imply that someone was the indirect, 'passive' recipient of the verb and the sentence was not framed in a way that was based on the fact that he performed the verb. 'The cow had been owned by me' would be passive, meaning that the sentence focuses on the cow and it is the passive, as opposed to active, recipient of the verb.

Dogar ignores everything I say even when I agree with him.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

In language, it's generally advisable to avoid the passive voice, not just in history essays. Basically it represents a diverted focus and a refusal to address the question, and leads to a tendency to be irrelevant and not deal thoroughly with the subject matter. In Romance languages and languages which revolve around sound grammatical expression, if a person uses the passive voice in essays too frequently they will be heavily penalised for its usage.

See the cow example is basic, but when you write a long sentence with more shit in it it gets tricky to change. For example:

Since the founding of the nation, America’s history has been recorded with diverse interpretations and emphasis; this pattern has continued into the modern era. It has become increasingly evident from the assigned readings that the portrayal of American history has depended heavily on two factors: when it was written and the worldview of the writer.

Can you find the passive voice and correct it into active? Bold the corrections.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

The first six words are in passive... "Since the nation's founding" would be less passive. Also, you should not begin sentences with "It" because that tends to set up your sentences as passive subconsciously.

I eventually edited it to:

Since the founding of the nation, chroniclers of America’s history applied diverse interpretations and emphasis; this pattern has continued into the modern era. The assigned readings and class discussions consistently uncovered two factors that influenced the portrayal of American history: the writer’s own time period and the writer’s worldview.

well my minds blown already

Yeah, it's crazy.

Both sound good to me.
    Originally made by LM: