Thread: electronic readers

Default electronic readers

i have no idea why anyone would ever want one of these

I have to agree. Buy a fucking book. No better yet get a free one at your library.

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

You can buy your college books on an e-reader for about half the price, the device pays for itself in a single semester.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Oh, it's really simple. Too lazy to pick up a real goddamn book. That's all there is to it.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

I like books way too much.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

people buy those?

Yesterday when I was moving my bookshelves from one room to the next and trying to find space for all the heavy ass paper on my shelves in an organized manner... I wished for the first time that I had one of these.

Other than that, I guess the only reason I would want one would be for the convenience of having many books in the palm of my hand for travel or etc. If I worked a job where I got to read all the time, it'd be really great to have one.

I like the way a book feels in my hands, and I don't much like reading off of a screen, so I prefer books. But I can see the draw of them. It'd be convenient for certain things.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

yeah but one of the main reasons for buying books is to actually have them lying around too. a collection of books looks cool, is impressive, can serve as references, stuff you can read to your young kids,etc. basically theres no upside to not having real books around.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

i saw an advert for an Amazon Kindle device today, complete with the footnote "only £111".

£111 for an activity that can be pretty much free? i mean there may be 'Amazon Kindle exclusives' but as far as I know there has been no "Das Kapital" or "War and Peace" equivalent released exclusively for the Amazon Kindle device.

Haver of sex

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    yeah but one of the main reasons for buying books is to actually have them lying around too. a collection of books looks cool, is impressive, can serve as references, stuff you can read to your young kids,etc. basically theres no upside to not having real books around.
    except when you're are trying to move. Boxes of books are very heavy.
    But E-readers are gayer than my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    i saw an advert for an Amazon Kindle device today, complete with the footnote "only £111".

£111 for an activity that can be pretty much free? i mean there may be 'Amazon Kindle exclusives' but as far as I know there has been no "Das Kapital" or "War and Peace" equivalent released exclusively for the Amazon Kindle device.
    All books that are no longer copyrighted can be downloaded legally for free and put on a kindle... so if you are a lover of classics, then it is really worthwhile.

Also ebooks are a lot cheaper than real books. Especially new hardbacks.

I saw a package of 50 ebooks (titles that I would actually read) being auctioned on ebay for only a few bucks with no shipping because they simply provide you with a code that you input into your device.

I don't have one, and I probably won't get one, but they are worthwhile, in my opinion, especially if you read a lot.

My shelving system is 8 x 7 feet, plus another shelf that is just cheap pressed wood from walmart, I don't know how big it is, but I have all my books wedged in there in some semblance of order and I still can't fit them all in. So most of the thin paper backs I bought in my pre-teen years are in a closet. That's a lot of wall space. (probably about 11 feet of wall space) That's a lot of paper. That's a lot of weight to pack and move.

But it'd all fit on a kindle in the palm of my hand.

Just sayin'.

KING OF THE UNIVERSE Goku_king_anime's Avatar

@BBK I was just about to say that. Since we're talking about e-readers. Are any Borders around you guys closing? Most of the ones in Michigan are closing.

Yes, mine closed too. In South Bend, Indiana. Where are you in Michigan, Goku?

KING OF THE UNIVERSE Goku_king_anime's Avatar

Oakwood, Michigan

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.Ē Lord's Avatar

torrent ebooks -> put on ereader.

torrent books ->

get real books --> read them --> have a book collection --> be cool

*shrugs* Do both... get the e-reader for all the stuff you dont want to have to lug around.. and anything that's cool enough to get on a shelf.. acquire a hard copy. Me... I don't have one...
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!