Thread: U.S. military expenditure

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default U.S. military expenditure

God it's huge.

it's all spent killing mainly innocent brown people in the name of 'democracy', either directly (Vietnam / Iraq) or indirectly (Palestine). maybe if they had a huge defence budget but it was just to fund a highly-structured peace army which acted as the "arsenal of democracy" in wartime and supplied arms to the group of countries that it was allied with and wasn't composed of lebensraum-securing dictators.

i mean there's a country with a highly superior economy at this time with a functioning democracy which has worked for several years and yet its citizens continually elect people who don't plan to convert it into an operation for world peace, despite the great potential it has to secure this. and is it that great of a democracy, really? i mean the words 'filibuster' and 'gerrymandering' are everywhere in the U.S. press, there's a bigger over-representation of the main two than in U.K. politics, and yet the U.S. is the king of democracy. at least they have freedom of speech and freedom of press/association I guess!!

i'm not speaking from any political position here, these are just inevidenced thoughts.

no hicky you are factually incorrect

the vietnamese are yellow

america hardly has a highly superior economy. its really big yes, but thats more down to the fact that we have a much larger population than other western industrial nations on our level of development, and the fact that everything is so inefficient and thus costs more. america's economy is a mess.

in terms of real GDP then

Our health care costs are much higher. I saw a statistic once. 60% goes to health care 20% to military and the rest for everything else.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

its nice to have a defense. sucks when officials use it so offensively though.

its funny how we turn a blind eye to Saudi Arabia even though the mosque that funded the original terrorist attacks abides there, just because we have "political ties" and we purchase oil from them.

your welcome

they are buds silly

derp (no seriously, their inhabitants fund our enemies heavily)

your welcome

one thing is for sure: China

for a country that hated out guts 50 years ago and is now out ally is like something straight out of a comic book

allied by commerce

win

your welcome

"Together we can control the world, (they climb up to the highest mountain) see all of this, it can all be yours if you sell your soul to me."

-31 AD Devil to Jesus/1970 AD Nixon to China

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Chances are, if you're on a mountain in China, all you'll see is China anyway.

That thing is too freaking huge.

It's been so long and I still don't get your Iraq war. Sorry guys.

its generally to wipe out a source of social intolerance based on a sect of islam that we are after for revenge.

sparking american pride will make our country fight for the general sake of revenge pretty quick. but then again, we wouldn't have won WWII and stopped the cruel antisemitism and annexation.

your welcome

china isnt our ally

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    china isnt our ally

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

(we are trade allies lol)

your welcome

a 'trade ally' is ... sort of a thing that doesnt exist. china and america trade(moreso america forks out money to china without much reciprocity), but their foreign relations are rather uneasy, and even their actual economic relations are uneasy as china artificially deflating the yuan to suck up the world export market is something the us has been calling predatory for years

also the us military pretty regularly runs war games based on china taking moves against US influence(specifically trying to invade taiwan) so military conflict with china is something the government and military view as a distinct plausibility

IN SHORT: not allies

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

I hate China so much.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    God it's huge.

Entitlements are really our biggest problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

nope, because there are no alternatives to the entitlement programs

The Darker Side

I know I'm new here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have a little experience on this.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    also the us military pretty regularly runs war games based on china taking moves against US influence(specifically trying to invade taiwan) so military conflict with china is something the government and military view as a distinct plausibility
    I would agree with you there, not only China but (north) Korea as well. It's not that necessaraly we think China is going to attack us. Just covering our asses incase something does happen. Like locking the door before you go to bed, you don't anticipate anything happening, it's just incase. We definitely aren't allies, more like "weak friends" only together because at present, it benifits us both.

Back to the main topic though, the reason the military budget is so high, quite simpily is because it's such a gigantic organization. You gotta figure wages, clothing, housing, healthcare, et cetera. For 1.5 million people (1.477 according to wiki) that adds up real quick. Not to mention fighting a war a few thousand miles away. Granted it probably dosnt need to be so high. but since we're "entitled" to protection as Americans, well that's what we get. At a cost.