Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your musical tastes and abilities.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

Default your musical tastes and abilities.

what are you into? do you play an instruments? more than one? how good are you at it?

as for me, my musical tastes have been maturing for the last couple of years. when i was eleven i was very much into classic sixties stuff (bob dylan; beatles; kinks etc.) then as i became depressed, the stuff i was into became depressing. so i was listening to a mixture of rufus wainwright and linkin park. it's hilarious looking back at my playlists on my old ipod. some time last year when i started hanging out with the crew, i started really liking chart music, which in turn got me to listen to mumford and sons and the script and then i moved onto kanye west and then my chart music fascination ended when i realised nothing would top my beautiful dark twisted fantasy. a couple of months before i hit the hip-hop scene, i was very much on the indie acoustic/orchestra stuff, as well as experimenting with soul and jazz. i gotta say that i still don't think anything comes close to indie when it comes close.

as for talents, i've been playing guitar for a few years. had lessons for two or three years, then quit. then taught myself by ear for a couple of years. now i'm gonna go back to lessons. i'm still a pretty nifty player though. when i was seven i had piano lessons for a year. quit. last october i went back to it. i can also play some ukulele and harmonica on the side as party pieces asdf.

i usually just play acoustic guitar and if i go electric, i use minimum effects. weird how what i play sounds nothing like what i love to listen to, but i guess that's influence and creativity for you.

you guys?

Registered Users Regular

I am a 4/10 on Guitar. 6/10 on Piano.

I like old music pre 70s etc. 80s is good. 90s eh. (At least we got Barbie Girl in the 90s!!! XD) I like new music too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    youre wicked cool 10/10

Registered Users Regular

Btw, my reference to Barbie Girl was a Joke. Just wanted to clarify. Lol.
    youre wicked cool 10/10

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

asdf aqua was one of the best damn bands of the 90's.

Registered Users Regular

I meant I didn't want to be called a Fag or a stupid child because someone thought I sit locked in my room listening to Barbie Girl all daylong.
    youre wicked cool 10/10

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

My musical preference is purely orchestral; I mainly listen to film scores, but do dabble in gaming soundtracks occasionally. I haven't really been "into" music for most of my life, and I only started to realise I enjoyed orchestral when I started filling up my iTunes about two years ago (I didn't get an iPod until a year after that). My friends say it's weird that I'm so into orchestral and yet I have almost zero knowledge on anything musical, the only terms I'm really familiar with are percussion, brass, electronic and few other things, and even then I probably couldn't name three instruments that fit into any one group.

It goes without saying that I've never been terribly interested in playing a musical instrument, and to this day I never have. I used to play an alto saxophone in my Yr 7 Music class (if that counts) and briefly flirted with the idea of properly learning to play one. But I was young, lazy and terribly unmotivated, so nothing ever came of it.

Looking at the general type of people that are part of this site, I guess that makes me something of an oddity around here.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

let's see

tastes... when i was REALLY young, ie before i got the internet, i liked everything. yes, even celine motherfucking dion. then i started being waaay too ibfluenced by my friends and started listening to simple plan and green day and shit. however, even though i ventured into the utmost depths of shittiness i never liked limp bizkit. i guess that gets me some points, haha. anyways, that time was approx. when i joined pd. then i started developing a taste for classic rock, progressively abandoning generic pop rock. my tastes remained pretty much the same for a couple years. i had already developed a liking for rush and iron maiden, but they weren't close to being my favorite bands. however as soon as i heard that they were coming to the festival d'été here in QC, i started listening to them a lot to get a feel for the shows and that's when they really grew on me. a bit later, like end of 2010, i was checking out a list of top drumming performances and, aside from the usual villa strangiato, moby dick, toad, karn evil 9 or 21st century schizoid man which seem to make up the top 5 of every damn list, i was surprised to find stream of consciousness by dream theater. this is the song that really got me into dt. very recently, after hearing positive comments about them, i started checking out malajube and karkwa, two QCian indie/pop/rock/whatever bands, and turns out i really dig them now, malajube especially. another band i really like is the tragically hip - simple, catchy, rockin' and canadian.

so tl;dr: tastes: rush, DT, iron maiden, malajube, the tragically hip -- lots of prog rock/metal in general, classic rock/old school hard rock and sorta indie. i also like most power ballads (except motley crue's), manliness be damned. basically if it has drums in it it can't be so bad.

as for talents, i'm pretty sure i mentioned before that i play the drums (can you play the drums?) fairly well -- actually i'm probably much better than i think i am. i also have some rudiments of piano and guitar learned from playing with other people's stuff and i can play very basic trumpet learned from my 7th grade music classes.

gah fuck i need to stop typing posts this long on my ipod, it's killing me

Ballads, ESPECIALLY power ballads, are the manliest shit you will find in the world.

A man doesn't cry.

A real man is moved to tears, as the salty streams engorge his flowing beard.

My musical tastes...hmm...this is actually extremely difficult. To be honest I'm a very particular person. I will listen to almost anything, and I lack a true sense of distaste for a lot of music. However! I must say that mellow music strikes a sense of up-in-the-clouds sort of feel. To describe it, the feeling of listening to mellow forms of calming music would be akin to being adrift at sea on a comfortable rubber tube during a cloudy down, all while being half-asleep.

Beginning Trainer

well i like to play piano and i am 7/10..

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

i'm into non-generic rock, some 60's-80's like rush, pink floyd, jefferson airplaine, and a little of the beatles. as for newer rock i like stone temple pilots, avenged sevenfold, the gorillaz, neutral milk hotel, and queens of the stone age (just to name a few).

i play baritone 8/10, guitar 9/10, piano/keyboard 6/10, ukulele (tuned like guitar) 8/10, bass guitar 9/10, and tin-slide (its a folk styled slide guitar) 4/10.

yes, i am confident enough in my guitar skills to warrant a 9/10.

i started my first instrument at the age of 7 (keyboard), and i moved up to baritone in middle school. somewhere along the upcoming road i took up acoustic guitar, which lead to electric and bass, then to ukulele and tin slide. out of all of these, i tend to play acoustically the most because i don't have to rearrange the room for an amp and wires lol. but when i do play electric, i'm either playing extremely heavy rock/metal or playing subtle pink-floydish sounding solos. as for acoustic, i prefer neutral milk hotel, boston, soundgarden, pink floyd, and i'm starting to get into bob dylan (who i think is a wonderful songwriter, but has the most unlikable voice of the time).

your welcome

i'm into non-generic rock, some 60's-80's like rush, pink floyd, jefferson airplaine, and a little of the beatles. as for newer rock i like stone temple pilots, avenged sevenfold, the gorillaz, neutral milk hotel, and queens of the stone age (just to name a few).
    there is so much wrong with this paragraph

nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    if 2 sentences is a paragraph, then "one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish" is a 5 act epic

and what is wrong with it, pray tell?

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    this is the fourth time this damned week you've stolen my post.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

classifying both Neutral Milk Hotel and Avenged Sevenfold in the blanket term of 'rock' is kind of... hurtful.

The One That Never Was beasthaxorus's Avatar

I play the euphonium/baritone 9/10.I;m about to learn how to play i gotta feeling and bottoms up.
    it always seems imposible until it's done-nelson mandella

a house divided agaisnt itself cannot stand-abraham lincoln

gotta catch'em all-pokemon

[IMG][/IMG]

NMH is a form of folk-rock

and A7X is generally nu-metal/mainstream alternative (it depends what album your listening to)

your welcome

? ? ?

[IMG][/IMG]

i was responding about my post beast...

your welcome

oh, and beast, i highly doubt you play college level at 14.

your welcome

The songs aren't hard at all.The high school I'm going to had their symphonic band play it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pants, and the beast dwelling within View Post
    NMH is a form of folk-rock

and A7X is generally nu-metal/mainstream alternative (it depends what album your listening to)
    well you can't combine them into some sort of universal model which represents your tastes, especially not "rock", since Avenged Sevenfold and Neutral Milk Hotel share nothing in common apart from the fact that they both have been known to pick a guitar from time to time.

that's one thing that I think Rayne meant was wrong with your post; 'Neutral Milk Hotel' and 'Avenged Sevenfold' don't represent something which can be brought together to be a taste conglomerate which everyone would know what you meant when you referred to.

I am particularly picky about music, in that very seldom will I care for every song on an album. I like SOME songs in almost every genre, but mostly lately I've been listening to hard rock, metal, etc.

Sixx AM is my current favorite, I like the heavy lyrics and the serrated edge that the lead vocalist's voice holds.

Motley Crue is another old favorite, but their lead vocalist leaves a lot to be desired. It's good music, but... I dunno.

Guns n Roses, same as Crue. Beautiful music and lyrics, but the lead vocals sort of make me cringe now and then.

Tool and APC are almost perfect in that their music, lyrics and vocals are brilliant.

Nightwish is a very interesting group, with surprisingly good vocals and poignant lyrics, superb musicians. Surprisingly good voice on the female lead, I typically don't care for female singers.

Same with Dream Theater, great concept albums.

Evanescence has one of the best female leads I've listened to, and some very nice lyrics and decent music as well.

I've been listening to some Jimmy Buffet lately, it's good "feel good" music.

This list is not at all comprehensive.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Quote Originally Posted by beasthaxorus View Post
    The songs aren't hard at all.The high school I'm going to had their symphonic band play it.
    you're 14 and you go to high school?

man, america...

er youre supposed to be in the 9th grade when youre 14

which is high school

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast