Thread: let's talk about lyrics

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default let's talk about lyrics

lyrics make a song good for me. yeah sure i'll rave to the drowningly phat beats of Fatboy Slim but for it to really elevate itself as a personal preference it needs meaningful lyrics.

although 'meaning' for me is aesthestic and it doesn't mean something I can write on my bedroom wall next to my John Cena poster. i tend to define meaningful as either meaningful or 'meaningless', but with a passionate, cryptic kind of meaninglessness the way that certain singers sing certain words for me is blissful, and the way they go with melodies is divinely complementary, so in the end I don't give a brass that they are are meaningless!

anyway, here are some of my favourite abridged lyrics. i'm using this thread to post particular stanzas that I like, but if you feel that wouldn't capture the essence of the song then feel free to post it all.

"Don't believe in yourself
    Don't deceive with belief
    Knowledge comes with death's release"

from David Bowie, "Quicksand". to me it's enough to listen to the song over and over again. quite a simple, thought-provoking, summarily executed articulation of existentialist nihilist philosophy. but who cares about that, it makes you think for days. human beings have no purpose other than death, david bowie here arguing that it is at this moment where the 'knowledge' we have been searching for becomes meaningless and the true 'knowledge' will come when our lives our stripped of us, which would be no knowledge, if you get my drift.

"Man was born to love-
    Though often he has sought
    Like Icarus, to fly to high
    And far too lonely then he ought
    To kill the sun of east and west
    And hold the world as his behest
    To hold the terrible power
    To whom only gods are blessed-
    But me, I am just a man
    "

From Faith No More, "Just A Man". mike patton has realised that he is destined to live among people of his ilk, and has been given only the capacities of human beings, and thus cannot aspire to anything.

yeah, the theme today was amateur syllogisation. next week, scatological lyrics!

John Cena... BWAHAHAHAH! Your face is scatological.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Scalliwag - Gaelic Storm

Come away come away with the traveling show
    come away with the raggle taggle gypsy oh!
    We'll raggle-taggle here we'll raggle-taggle there, raggle up and down taggle everywhere.

From the North from the South from the East from the West, well the sky is our roof and the road is our rest.
    No one to say 'yes', no one to say 'no'.
    Run free with the raggle-taggle gypsy oh!

They locked you in a tower and threw away the key but this tower's no match for a wag like me
    I'll be sneaking through your gate I'll be peaking round the corner well I've come to take your daughter, don't you say I didn't warn ya.

I'll be bringing you a fiddle I'll be singing you a song we'll fiddle, sing, sing, fiddle all day long.

In the halls and the walls they will her us sing and say "whack fol the diddle diddle die diddle day"

Chorus:
    Come on and wade, way out into the wayer with me, we're drowning on dry land.
    Come on and wade way out into the water with me... Jump in and take my hand.

I'll be rapping at your window I'll be knocking at your door I'll be tip tippy tapping, tippy tapping on the floor
    With me fine silk britches and a feather in me hat If I run into your father then I'll stop and have a chat!
    Cutting through your garden on the way to rendezvous and the owls in the trees are hooting "who are you?"
    And the mice and the cats and the spiders and the bats we're dancing 'round the kitchen like a pack of acrobats

Run away, Run away with the traveling show Run away with the rambling gypsy oh!

A roving and a running and a riding on the sea and everywhere we go as happy as can be
    All the mountains and the valleys and the rivers and the streams, all the lovely places that you've seen in your dreams
    I'll give you the heavens, the stars in the sky, every wooded creature, every bird and butterfly
    I've never had a fotune not a penny will you find you're my one and only treasure, you can leave all the rest behind.

Come away come away with the traveling show
    come away with the raggle taggle gypsy oh!
    We'll raggle-taggle here we'll raggle-taggle there, raggle up and down taggle everywhere.

From the North from the South from the East from the West, well the sky is our roof and the road is our rest.
    No one to say 'yes', no one to say 'no'.
    Run free with the raggle-taggle gypsy oh!

They locked you in a tower and threw away the key but this tower's no match for a wag like me
    I'll be sneaking through your gate I'll be peaking round the corner well I've come to take your daughter, don't you say I didn't warn ya.

I'll be bringing you a fiddle I'll be singing you a song we'll fiddle, sing, sing, fiddle all day long.

In the halls and the walls they will her us sing and say "whack fol the diddle diddle die diddle day"

Chorus:

I'll be rapping at your window I'll be knocking at your door I'll be tip tippy tapping, tippy tapping on the floor
    With me fine silk britches and a feather in me hat If I run into your father then I'll stop and have a chat!
    Cutting through your garden on the way to rendezvous and the owls in the trees are hooting "who are you?"
    And the mice and the cats and the spiders and the bats we're dancing 'round the kitchen like a pack of acrobats

Run away, Run away with the traveling show Run away with the rambling gypsy oh!

A roving and a running and a riding on the sea and everywhere we go as happy as can be
    All the mountains and the valleys and the rivers and the streams, all the lovely places that you've seen in your dreams
    I'll give you the heavens, the stars in the sky, every wooded creature, every bird and butterfly
    I've never had a fotune not a penny will you find you're my one and only treasure, you can leave all the rest behind.

Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

Angels on the sideline,
    Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they're all confused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that
    Eden has enough to go around?
    Plenty in this holy garden, silly old monkeys,
    Where there's one you're bound to divide it

Right in two

Angels on the sideline,
    Baffled and confused.
    Father blessed them all with reason.
    And this is what they choose.
    (and this is what they choose)

Monkey, killing monkey, killing monkey
    Over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
    They forge a blade,
    And when there's one they're bound to divide it,

Right in two.
    Right in two.

Monkey, killing monkey, killing monkey
    Over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
    They make a club
    And beat their brother... down.
    How they survived so misguided is a mystery.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
    to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here

Gotta divide it all right in two (x4)

They fight, till they die
    Over earth, over sky
    They fight, over life,
    Over brawn, over air and light,
    Over love, over sun. Over blood
    They fight, or they die, all for what? For our rising!

Angels on the sideline again
    Been too long with patience and reason
    Angels on the sideline again
    Wondering when this tug of war will end

Gotta divide it all right in two (x3)
    Right in two

Right in two...

your welcome

good lyrics don't make a song good for me, but they make a good song better.

Don'tcha know ya gotta... shock the monkey!

ridiculous lyrics are fun.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!