Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 258

Thread: which is the best U.S. state

  1. #226
    cogito ergo doleo Keke Le Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hilbert Space
    Posts
    11,174

    Default

    Michigan is as far from being the greatest state as it is far from washington.

    (quite far)

    herkherkherk

    1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

  2. #227
    Comrade Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Inside the Computer
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    I know I'm too new to say this (and the thread hasn't really gone six pages under yet), but this should seriously be considered for archiving.

  3. #228
    The One and Only trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In your dreams.
    Posts
    10,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    yeah its retarded

    Hate the system, as I mentioned. I was actually asking around to see whether I could possibly continue with all my school subjects, but that's plain impossible.
    Originally made by LM:


    ~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

    ~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

    * dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

  4. #229
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    It's more of a science in that respect\
    huh

  5. #230
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    It deals with abstract theories and conjectures that they try to prove, (cause effect ect.) thus a science.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  6. #231
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,752

    Default

    yes what was odd was your conflating science with people not understanding theories or how theories are a waste of time

    w/e it was a weird post!!!

  7. #232
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    No, I was saying people in the sociology field talk as if many of the their concepts, theories, are facts that just CAN'T BE DENIED AS TRUE, rather than theories. My opinion is that sociology is more of a science than anything, because of the use of theories, and thus is the reason why I most likely don't like the subject at large.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  8. #233
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    in essence you simply dont like science because it doesnt deal in abstract

    ...why?

  9. #234
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    i mean that is truly the best thing about science; in general there is no room for conjecture or philosophy. you deal with cold, hard facts.

  10. #235
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,986

    Default

    Science is ridiculously abstract. It just deals with abstract concepts and puts them in a rigid and predictable form.

  11. #236
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    yeah wrong word.

  12. #237
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,986

    Default

    Do you mean indeterminable or undefinable?

  13. #238
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,752

    Default

    the results arent abstract, the concepts and reasoning are

  14. #239
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    the results arent abstract, the concepts and reasoning are

  15. #240
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    i mean that is truly the best thing about science; in general there is no room for conjecture or philosophy. you deal with cold, hard facts.


    Not true, science guesses a lot and tries to prove it. Sometimes it can be measured, sometimes it can't be. And not all facts are finite, to think otherwise is naive. As I said, sociology is mostly based on conjectural abstracts of philosophical concepts on identity that is taken as truth rather than theories. Like the philosophy of identity, sociology's explanations on ones image as a person or as a people and the causes and effects of things or systems on that image are not "provable." Why? Because identity is also not a finite fact and its definition and meaning are subjective. So, like science, this subject is built on theories that, in this case (and in some cases in science as well) can't really be proven.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  16. #241
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    i dont know too much about sociology but youre mistaken when you say that there are facets of science which are unprovable. if its unprovable, either by mathematics or experiment, then it simply isnt science.

  17. #242
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    How many stars are in the sky? Give me an exact number.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  18. #243
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,986

    Default

    Comparing sociology with other sciences is like comparing apples & oranges.

  19. #244
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    ...i think you have the wrong idea of what science is.

  20. #245
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    How many stars are in the sky? Give me an exact number.
    that is provable.

    it hasnt been proven. unprovable and yet to be proven arent the same thing. its a reason why you won't see any science journal publishing an exact number.

  21. #246
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    How many stars are in the sky? Give me an exact number.
    Science isn't how many stars are in the sky, but how many stars you would see if you focus on one portion of the sky.

  22. #247
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    I'm not saying science is not factual. I am just saying that one can't really prove everything for various reasons.


    And perhaps I do have a warped view of science, but I think I have the right to ask a question like that in regards to a subject that supposedly can prove things of this nature in measurable finite facts.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  23. #248
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    that is provable.

    it hasnt been proven. unprovable and yet to be proven arent the same thing. its a reason why you won't see any science journal publishing an exact number.
    And thus it's a theory, and not a finite fact. Just likely many obtuse concepts in sociology.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  24. #249
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    no it cannot, and no one expects it of science to provide an exact number to everything. as far as measurement is concerned science has always been about estimation, in exactly the same way math approximates. pi isnt equal to 3.14 or 22/7; that is an approximation of its true value and for practical purposes that is all that matters. an astronomer would laugh at you if you tried to argue that an absence of an exact number for the number of stars in the sky (which itself is a vague question; do you mean a specific portion of the sky, the entire night-time sky as collectively viewed on earth, the number of stars in the galaxy or the universe?) proves that science is an inaccurate... science.

  25. #250
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,919

    Default

    Again Justin, I just said that I don't think that some of science is factual. I find it hard to beleive that ALL science is factual. I'm a vain man, but am not very confident in saying that scientists that say all their facts are right is just so.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •