Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: which is the best U.S. state

if you wanted the number of stars in the (observable) universe i can give you an estimation in the powers of ten but an exact number is impossible because
    a) new stars are being formed virtually every minute so any answer i give you would be inaccurate by the time you publish it.
    b) it is not a fault of science but due the limitations of technology that we cant actually sit and count all of the stars in the universe. and again due to (a) it would be futile because by the time we're done a billion or trillion other stars would have formed.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    no it cannot, and no one expects it of science to provide an exact number to everything. as far as measurement is concerned science has always been about estimation, in exactly the same way math approximates. pi isnt equal to 3.14 or 22/7; that is an approximation of its true value and for practical purposes that is all that matters. an astronomer would laugh at you if you tried to argue that an absence of an exact number for the number of stars in the sky (which itself is a vague question; do you mean a specific portion of the sky, the entire night-time sky as collectively viewed on earth, the number of stars in the galaxy or the universe?) proves that science is an inaccurate... science.
    Again I'm really not looking at all this as a scientist, only as a historian. I'm not trained in science, and nor have I been claiming to be. I'm just putting my world view bias though the lens of a historian to make sense of science as a whole and, where this all started, devalue the subject of sociology.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

To be fair, theology is an unprovable "science"

My real bone of contention is when theory is taken as fact, that's all I'm saying; mostly towards sociology though.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

The reason a lot of the more well known theories, such as evolution, are only still theories is because they can't be mathematically defined or experimentally proven.

everything is a theory, even if its true. the only things that can be 'proven' are statements in pure logic or math.

theory is the highest title that the scientific community can give a particular idea. no scientific thesis is ever considered as truly 'factual'.

I wouldn't say everything other than those are theories. Let's not get too over the top in this because I'm way to tired. I'm just saying that making taco bells in Mexico doesn't "destroy" cultural identity. Statements like those are over simplified and naive.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011