Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to anyone who is studying physics at a high level/has acute interest in physics

Hybrid View

Default to anyone who is studying physics at a high level/has acute interest in physics

do you know any good books or online resources for general relativity and/or the meat of quantum mechanics (ie math of the schrodinger equation and beyond) and/or string theory and particle physics in general? i dont mean stuff with a general overview of the topic thats dumbed down to appeal to people who want to hear that the universe has 11 dimensions so they can pass it off as fact in their next space-epic fan fiction. i want to get down and dirty with the mathematics of it.

I would go to wikipedia, the links on the bottom have the real shit in them.

wikipedia is great site to use as reference but you cant LEARN from it. nor the links at the bottom.

Are you sure? They have some pretty wild links.

expecting to learn much from a wikipedia reference link is like opening up a random page in a graduate level theoretical physics text book and trying to make sense of it. the source material goes rather in depth and if you dont have enough experience or knowledge in the subject matter beforehand then youre not going to be able to follow it.

im not sure you have much of a hope of really learning that stuff if you don't have significant exposure to post-calculus math and in-depth mathematical physics first.

i can try. whats 'post calculus math' and 'mathematical physics' anyway?

and NO OFFENSE god but you (seem to) have less knowledge of math and physics than i do; how are you positive that i have no chance of grasping at any of that stuff? more importantly how do you know what it even consists of? 'in-depth mathematical physics' is a pretty vague term.

well you know just math that is traditionally learned after a calculus sequence. the schrodinger equation for example seems to deal a bit with complex analysis and some advanced applications of vectors. to really understand the mathematics of relativity, from what i gather, you need to know a good bit of non-euclidean geometry which i only have a very cursory understanding of. and mathematical physics would just be the knowledge of how these things are applied to physics.

GO AHEAD RAYNE TRY TO LEARN IT. im just saying i've tried and the learning curve is very steep and it doesnt seem like theres much out there written for people without at least a solid undergraduate education is math and physics.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    im just saying i've tried
    howd you try? straight up wikipedia or did you manage to get your hands on college books or something etc?

and yes its vague because im not even sure how some of the stuff is classified/what classes it would be taught in etc

hmm

maybe trixie could help me out here. im sure she has required courses of physics in college. though its probably in something gay like electrodynamics.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    maybe trixie could help me out here. im sure she has required courses of physics in college. though its probably in something gay like electrodynamics.

Rayne stay the fuck away from Trixie!

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Sorry Rayne... I had the same 12th grade physics stuff as you do, and then engineering is COMPLETELY different.

I do have a friend who is doing BSc Physics though, I'll ask him for you.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

How about your local library.

the only local library i know is closed for maintenance and im pretty sure it doesnt have many resources on advanced science.

They might, my backwoods PA lirbrary had some some stuff on some pretty wild subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    They might, my backwoods PA lirbrary had some some stuff on some pretty wild subjects.
    the library here is mostly packed with fiction. mostly pre-teen / teen novels or comics and shit. i wouldnt go in expecting to find a copy of the peoples history of the united states or the god delusion or advanced theoretical physics volume iv.

the library here is mostly packed with fiction. mostly pre-teen / teen novels or comics and shit. i wouldnt go in expecting to find a copy of the peoples history of the united states or the god delusion or advanced theoretical physics volume iv.
    There is actually a signifigant section on non-fiction. Although most of it to be honest is hostorical texts, but I am sure you could find a few good science books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    There is actually a signifigant section on non-fiction. Although most of it to be honest is hostorical texts, but I am sure you could find a few good science books.
    kirby im not sure where youre getting the idea that public libraries in the united arab emirates are in anyway similar to ones in the us and that by correlating them youre making anything close to a valid point.

kirby im not sure where youre getting the idea that public libraries in the united arab emirates are in anyway similar to ones in the us and that by correlating them youre making anything close to a valid point.
    I thought you were Indian.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Hahaha Rayne is calling God out.

huh

Are you claiming that God's ideas on physics are delusions or did you literately mean something that is considered god delusion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast