Thread: whats your favorite album by rush?

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

Default whats your favorite album by rush?

well, if your anything like me, at least a part of you is a huge fan of the 1970's-now progressive rock band Rush.

this is a thread to commemorate their albums.

so to start this off...

my favorite album is "A Farewell To Kings" tied with "Hemispheres"

mostly because they are 10 songs all together, and the end of a farewell to kings starts hemispheres (Cygnus X-1: book 1 and Cygnus X-1: book 2). the albums hold fast to a motif of fantasy, medieval stories, and the unknown. Hemisphere's has fewer songs, but they are all equally memorable and ridiculously perfect. A farewell to kings has 2 more songs (1 of which is just decent, but it makes the last song so much more powerful) and it just seems like a more complete experience. my advice, just listen to them both in tandem.

your welcome

the other day I was talking to a friend who really loves rush

he put on a cd

I said, "I didn't know Rush had a female lead singer."

he looked like I'd socked him in the nads

funny shit

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

high vocals =/= female

oh, and as a silly comeback, Nikki Sixx looks and sounds like a 13 year old japanese schoolgirl who smoked too many Marlboros. he's like the lead singer of a middle school papa roach tribute band. ohp

your welcome

why are bands with lead singers who go up to ridiculously high pitches and nothing else always critically acclaimed?

im looking at you radiohead

radiohead um... they made like 1 ok album. everything else was complete shit

your welcome

oh, and since you were trying to troll, might as well say that they have excellent progressions, powerful lyrical writing, one of the best drummers of all time, and Alex Lifeson (no explanation necessary)

btw bloodrayne, what music do you appreciate?

your welcome

uh i never said they were bad, i was pointing out a bizarre trend

oh. like my morning jacket, sammy hagar, michael jackson (yes i said it) etc. right?

your welcome

Nikki Sixx isn't a lead vocalist!!!!

He is the bassist for Motley Crue and Sixx AM!!!

He can't sing at all!!!!

omg

I am like, seriously, sort of offended that you don't know who he is! Love him or hate him, at least recognize him. No middle ground with my hero please. Don't have to like him, but jesus. He is one of the founders of hair metal. You have to at least see him for what he is.

which is a beautiful person and an inspiration to addicts and those battling depression

seriously

SERIOUSLY

Japanese School Girls WISH they looked like this!!!

put away those hentai pix keke!

your welcome

Pants, WHO ARE YOU?!?

How...?

just... wow.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

A Farewell to Kings is amazing and Xanadu is one of the best songs in the history of the world.

Only posting because I know a lot of people would be put off by the OP's musical tastes.

^

lord i love you

your welcome

PS: keke, i was joking around, calm down babe!

your welcome

in order, sorta...

1 - A Farewell To Kings: fuck this album is good end to end. Cygnus X-1 Part 1 has one of the craziest drumming performances ever, Xanadu is incredible, the other 4 songs are less memorable but still fucking great, especially the title track.
    2 - Moving Pictures: well this sounds rather bandwagony but like AFTK it's good from start to finish except Witch Hunt and Vital Signs which are sorta weak. there's still some good old epic proggyness left with The Camera Eye, and the other four songs are just legendary. it's also the best album to use when trying to convert people to rush seeing as the songs have some basic elements of complexity but are still short, sweet, catchy and easier to listen to.
    3 - Hemispheres: La Villa Strangiato. i think that pretty much seals the deal. lifeson proves with this song that he's undisputably one of the best and the drumming is just insane. the rest of the album is great but la villa single-handedly makes the album awesome for me.
    4 - Permanent Waves: still some elements of prog remaining here with Jacob's Ladder, but you can feel the transition towards Moving Pictures' more radio-friendly, yet still awesome style. Spirit of Radio cannot be described by words and Freewill is greatness in a can.
    5 - 2112: well, it's 2112. i don't like all of it though -- it's definitely a great track, but part 3: discovery kills the feel of the song and i don't really like that. the other tracks are cool but nowhere near the stuff above.

i'll stop there because those are pretty much their 5 most noteworthy albums. i guess you could add caress of steel in there if you really wanted to.

also presto is shit

Nikki Sixx Kitteh sez to Pants:

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elexonmathew View Post
    All the albums of rush was awesome but few are my favorite. They are Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, 2112, Permanent Waves and Hemispheres these are really awesome.
    Are you sure you've not just listed the entire Rush discography?

I'm disappointed about this thread. I thoroughly expected RCTA to be in it talking about Rush which was one of my favourite things about him. That time he was talking about everything being dominated by fear was pretty interesting.

Doritos are the shit. Dragonite's Avatar

I love their album "Permanent Waves". I've got four words for all of you. The. Spirit. Of. Radio.

~I am best pony~

Can't believe I missed this topic.

Hemispheres is my favorite. The Trees and Circumstances are fantastic songs in their own right, La Villa Strangiato is of course a wonderful romp through their hard rock side, but Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres is where the album trumps all others. Definitely my favorite extended track of theirs, everything about it makes my spine tingle. It just feels like an epic emotional struggle the entire way through.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein