Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School.

Registered Users Regular

Default High School.

I earned 11 credits towards graduation this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    youre wicked cool 10/10

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

So in other words, you needlessly overworked yourself?

* Assuming the average minimum graduation credits is 24 or 25, and 6 or 7 being the average per year.

Unless you did dual credit classes, which then it would make more sense.

I earned 26 credits in one year that way.

i dont understand

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Please explain for the non-Americans here.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

im american and i dont understand

Dual credit is where you get both high school and college credit while taking a class. Normally, you would just get the high school credit, but you can register for college credit typically through local community colleges.

Builds character

i dont understand why people limit their potential so much and why it is encouraged by so many others. from what ive seen, it seems more prominent in western society, more specifically american. people settle for everything. they settle for getting average or below average grades. they settle for going to a shitty university. they settle for terrible jobs based solely on pay scale which isnt often that high. and when they finally get married and have kids, they settle for their children aiming for even less than they did. but most bafflingly these people chide anyone who strives to achieve more saying its 'needless' they should settle like the rest of them.

why?

why cant someone who is obviously intelligent like justin work hard and find opportunities to become a culinary foreman is thats what he seeks to be? why cant lord sincerely work towards his dream of becoming a doctor instead of bragging about his social life to his online friends? why cant dogar actually strive to become respectable or a pioneer in the field of history instead of calling himself a 'historian' because he did undergrad at a shitty college and is going to spend the rest of his life teaching teenagers at a public school because of the mildly less shitty pay and job security? why cant kelsh go to college, take up something that isnt as retarded as creative writing and do something productive for society instead of bouncing between jobs and spending all her money on booze and cons? why cant qoorl work a bit harder for a couple of years to make ends meet while getting a degree so he can ensure a good life for his wife and kid? id say something about god too but i think he realises that fucking up school wasnt the best path to take.

im probably least privileged to say anything like this because im well-off and dont have as many problems as many of you do but fuck yall someone has to. theres no point in molding yourself into the lowest common denominator in society because you convinced yourself youre alright with it when each of you could do something awesome with your lives. all thats needed is really a spark and a push because once you start turning your life around youll end up some where youd never have dreamed of.

i feel its a problem with american culture in general. people are born into mediocre households with mediocre parents who make their kids believe that being mediocre their entire lives is perfectly fine and, in fact, their calling. contrast this to asian societies, both east and south asian, where people are most often born into the bottom of the barrel but face themselves surrounded by people who dream big. they find their environment competitive and conducive to hard work and eventually ride up the slope, breaking barriers and reaching heights that no one in their community have done. they dont settle for anything; they aim for the very top. its a small wonder that the world is being taken over by asians.

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Shit hitting the fan in 5...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

shut up

i completely agree with all of rayne's 2nd paragraph. except theres nothing wrong with what dogars doing, he actually wants to be a high school history teacher. nothing wrong with that.

rayne is completely right that there is a culture of mediocrity among the working class of the us. i may make a bigger post about that later.

Not all of us like to be superstars, we are happy with our mediocre lifes. Rayne its called being humble.

You didn't get the point, Kirbx.

Rayne, I agree completely.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

I got the point, and I think its bull shit.

the issue in terms of rayne's noting how many people just settle rather than trying to better themselves is that in this context the means towards bettering themselves lie through the education system. which is about as institutional as systems get. there is a massive acclimation problem with the lower, working and lower-middle classes.

middle class and above children tend to have very structured lives from an early age. they have lots of scheduled activities, scheduled day to day lives, and activities hoisted on them specifically aimed at intellectual/cultural enrichment. the transition to the formal education system is seamless, the system makes sense to them socially. working class etc children have very free-formed childhoods without much of a schedule and without any activities hoisted on them specifically to foster some sorts of development. the educational system makes no sense to them at all. it's a problem from day one and the system really does nothing to smooth it over(in fact it actively makes it worse).

so really the only way a person is going to succeed in the education system is if it makes sense to them socially or if they happen to pick up a love for learning for its own sake. which will happen to a very small percentage of the population. even if you look at very successful students from more well-to-do households their studying style will often rely quite heavily on route learning and mnemonics etc. so its hard to say they REALLY give a shit about what they're learning they're just socialized to try to do well. people who did not pick up those values will have a very hard time trying to find a way to fit in to the system.

although i do agree at a certain point they need to be told to get off their ass and just do it so they can get the fucking degree and have a decent life, from their perspective it cant be that easy.

this could be an interesting discussion so im moving it to misc

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

what the fuck is a credit

it's baffling really how people seem to shun effort. even though i do everything at the last minute, i put in a lot of work into every project that i do and i'm not afraid to take the most difficult path. i'm not even doing that to get excellent grades, i already get them without studying - i actually picked the toughest math program for next year to get me used to studying for post-secondary education, even though the second program is virtually the same in terms of further opportunities. whenever i have to write a paper or other related stuff i do my best -- except in phys ed because frankly i shouldn't be writing papers in phys ed. however it seems that when you're a person who feels self-gratification based on academical success, or that you seem to value doing stuff properly, you are automatically labeled a nerd.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

It does suck to see those who don't understand or are just incompatible with the school system drop out or fuck off during classes or smoke pot enough to get them expelled. And in spite of the progress being made with Disney movies or whatever, those who don't at least pretend to not give a shit about school tend to get thrown to a lower social rung unless they're jocks or charismatic or something. While in university this attitude changes, by that point it's too late because you fucked up in high-school and you'll probably end up going to some community college or becoming a plumber.

Its acutually harder becoming a pulmber then you think, you need atleast 2 years are a tycnical school, and you earn good money, aroudn 60,000 dollars a year.

Registered Users Regular

This certainly wasn't what I expected to come of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    youre wicked cool 10/10

I think it really depends on how a person grows up, and their environment that helps dictate their drive for success in both school and life. For example, my older sister and brother weren't really given a drive by my parents to do anything; my sister participated a bit in our school's track and field program and she was spectacular, but eventually she just gave up because she had bad asthma. When it came to be my turn, my dad pushed and drove me to better myself for the program, and a lot of my coaches knew my sister and expected big things. I was constantly driven to be the best, even if it wasn't what I wanted to do for the next 6-7 years of my life, and my grades had to be top score or I would be kicked off the team.

Eventually, I decided to make decisions about my life for me, and I dropped out of the program and tried to figure out where I was going. For the last two years in High School, I had no idea what the hell I was going to do with myself, because I knew that I would never be able to afford college, my father would never pay for me to go (he expected me to drop out of school and turn out like my sister, pregnant at 16), and there was no other money. When that recruiter called me, I decided that because I had no other options I would just enlist. I would have my education paid for, and I wouldn't end up working my whole damn life being paid minimum wage like my mother.

It was her, my determination to prove my father wrong, and the drive to be the first of my siblings to do something with my life that made me refuse to settle for what was in front of me. I absolutely refuse. I know I'm better than that, and everyday I strive to make my mother proud. She doesn't encourage mediocrity, she wants me to have better than what she had and has. When my time expires in the military, I'm going to work my ass off to get accepted into CSU's Animal Genetics program, and I'm going to find a job that will help me in taking my mother off her working feet permanently.

For all you that complain about not going somewhere, get off your lazy rear end and do something about it! There really is no reason for being satisfied with a sloth-like life, skimming through with barely any effort. If my dirt poor ass can make something of myself with minamal support, then there is no reason you can't either. Just use the resources around you smartly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast