Thread: I just got a B- on my paper.

Default I just got a B- on my paper.

Why? Because I used contractions. It was a literary analysis comparing the writing styles of Walt Whitman and Allen Ginsberg, and I not only wrote it but wrote it like I knew what I was talking about AND properly formatted it AND properly cited it.

And I got 18 points off because I used contractions.

This wasn't laid out ahead of time, she just made this rule up.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

post it

I feel all english teacher are radical conformists, messing with our youth and brainwashing them to think the way society wants. Honestly, this is the only subject where in real life, if you talked like that, you would not just be weird, but wrong.

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

My last Lit essay got marked down for a bunch of really stupid shit, but the two worst being for using pencil, and for not using quotes when I clearly did (I even underlined the quotes for her clearly to see, and she goes "Oh, you did use quotes", and didn't even change my mark).

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Really?

I've been told not to use contractions since Jr. High by nearly all my English teachers and I normally avoided them anyway because it would increase my word count.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Really?

I've been told not to use contractions since Jr. High by nearly all my English teachers and I normally avoided them anyway because it would increase my word count.
    What kind of bullshit is that? This is why I hate english teachers.

i got points off on my last french paper because i used a hyphen. 19/20 for a hyphen. fuck.

at least you guys get to write essays

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    at least you guys get to write essays
    All I can hear is "WAA WAA WAA I'M EAST NOT WEST TAKE PITY ON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WAAAAA".
    Last edited by ShadowRaven; 05-09-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: In reality I have the utmost respect for Rayne. Sorry if you find this post offensive in any way.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

All I see is "Oh noes."

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

I've always been brought up not to use contractions in my essays, but I share your pain about stupid rules.

I'm generally not good at essays. Most of the time it doesn't convey what I actually want to write. Which is really irritating considering that you do have all the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRaven View Post
    All I can hear is "WAA WAA WAA I'M EAST NOT WEST TAKE PITY ON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WAAAAA".

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRaven View Post

Itty Bitty Kitty of DOOM. Peeki's Avatar

pregnancy trauma, perhaps. lolz.

Hate when teacher's play the superiority game, though.

I once had an english teacher that said the euro was the offical currency of the UK, and badmouthed me when I said pound.

And she was a decent one too, in 9th grade I had a teach that no joke made us put God as a character in the story, and for Catcher of the Bread, after a 60 page reading assignment, your test comprised mostly of a 2 paragraph section of nuns holding a wisker basket.

I shake my head in despair at the current state of English Teahcers. I hope I don't become an asinine and royal douche when I teach.

And for contractions? Really?

my english teacher is a gay latino. he gets sidetracked all the time so most of the time we don't do anything and his tests are mad easy. my french teacher however...