Thread: Just Comparing Smogon and Other Utalitarian Sites With End of America Standards

Default Just Comparing Smogon and Other Utalitarian Sites With End of America Standards

1.Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.

Noobs or trolls.

2.Create secret prisons where torture takes place.

Secrete forums where enemies are interigated.

3.Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.

Mods.

4.Set up an internal surveillance system.

Mods.

5.Harass citizens' groups.

Yes, they do that too.

6.Engage in arbitrary detention and release.

Can I tell you how often this happens?

7.Target key individuals.

Woah, looks this happens too.

8.Control the press.

They are the press.

9.Treat all political dissents to be traitors.

I can't tel you how many times I have heard "You don't like the way this site works, then get out of here."

10.Suspend the rule of law.

All mods and admins again.

I say they need a revolution.

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

I will admit that although I respect Smogon for their rule-making, their forums are quite totalitarian. But after a while here, I've grown used to it.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

hows pokemonocracy going kirby?

kirby you're expending a lot of energy on this smogon issue which literally no one cares about except you

Yep.

Make an alt and get on with your life
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal View Post
    I'll be here! Even if i have to make 300 alt accounts to have conversations with!!

POKEDREAM FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fullmetal if you aren't here in 10 years I will find you and make you post!!

I will take smogon down, if its the last thing I do. The internet will not stand with such hipocracy.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

you ripped that off of 1984, the greatest book in human history (disregarding religious tomes)

your welcome

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I don't know if no-one cares about it but Kirby - if you venture on Serebii you hear talk of "oh god Smogon ruin the spirit of Pokémon" - but nobody is dedicated to bringing it down or is seriously taking issue, except Kirby.

Websites are not nations, you could say that "the rule of law" doesn't apply to moderators because they aren't subjected to due process like the lowly newbs of the forum but then again there is a genuine choice to go on internet forums, there doesn't need to be a "trial" for when somebody is banned for 10 days and there needs to be people to keep discussions civil and orthodox because it's a place of discussion. Just like whenever there's a formal discussion in real life i.e. in the political world there are people to keep the discussion on track, even in the House of Commons there is a Speaker who says 'shut up! order!'

Sure, thats what police are for too in real life, but no one anywhere is, or should be, immune from the rule of law. If that mod or policeman oversteps there bounds, there should be a process to take them down, there isn't, they do literally whatever they want.

It's just less relevant on internet forums than it is in structured societies

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

hicky thats pretty gay

your welcome

Your saying an internet isn't a society? How stupid is that, societies have roles, jobs, people, places, I don't see how internet forums differ at all.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that a forum, because it plays less important functions than a society, needs less constitutional checks and balances..

pants what's gay

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I'm not saying that, I'm saying that a forum, because it plays less important functions than a society, needs less constitutional checks and balances..
    That make no sense, every system has SOME checks and balances, even as I said, the police force has little to check it, but it still has SOMETHING. Forums have nothing.

It makes perfect sense. A forum, which differs from a society since people will be prosecuted under it and receive welfare from it, is less of an issue where checks and balances are concerned.
    BUT
    I concede

Your current user title is

I agree with this but I thought Serebii was bad too. PD was never quite as bad but while I've been here there were two mods kicked out because they were to strict.
    One after eve joined and one after tim joined.
    I'm currently at a totalitarian forum calming to be democratic and transparent.