Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last film you watched and thoughts

Default Last film you watched and thoughts

Maria Full of Grace - the stand-out performance by the lead actress really carried the film. one thing that comes to mind, a delicate balance to control as a filmmaker, is that it was unpretentious. It wasn't full of self-pity and sentimentality, which a story like this could quite easily tread all over. director Joshua Marston did well in presenting desperate choices in desperate situations in a very unosentatious way.

Atanarjuat - written, directed and acted all by Inuits, Atanarjuat brought a beautiful, little known about landscape and traditional story to the big screen for the rest of the world to take in. a particular charm about it was the lack of knowledge we really have about the Inuit culture, and Atanarjuat succeeded in vividly depicting it. However, the film was slow to start and unnecessarily long with a drawn out story.

Look At Me - quirky French drama, although I found it more of a comedy, with incisive wit and a decent script. The whole film though is all about nothing really and too much focus on character development to the extent that you just get fed up with them.

post your thoughts on whatever movies you've seen recently on TV or whatever. the thread's concept was not my idea, by the way.

North by Northeast - Great Hitchcock film. Classic 50's detective stuff, Cary Grant with with his quick talking theatrics and awesome accent, portrayal of the police as bumbling fools with the cool, suave main characters out-smarting them. Written really well obviously since it's Hitchcock, great slow burner where with every piece of information revealed it becomes more intriguing. Great cinematography wasn't this exactly this films aim(not a knock on it because it was all about classic characters, great acting, stylish dialogue and a well-written story that unfolded in an intriguing and enthralling fashion), so you'll not get much in the way of that, but the visuals during the scene where Roger is waiting in the middle of nowhere to supposedly be visited by Kaplan were beautiful. The themes of identity and moral relativism were done really well, and in the Cold War era must have really resonated at the time without being heavy handed or blatantly being pointed in that direction. Ending was hilarious. Hitchcock was considered to direct the first James Bond film after this - makes sense because it's what James Bond films have always wanted to be but were never 1/100th as good as. Fools definitely need to watch this.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I'm assuming anime films count? Because I don't watch much Hollywood stuff anymore. Perhaps two or three a year.

Sword of the Stranger - I just finished it less than 10 minutes ago and I already want to run to the store and buy the DVD so I can watch it again and again. This movie really came out of nowhere, so a lot of people actually don't know about it. The animation is definitely the movie's high point, but I felt the relationship between the three main characters was great as well. Those characters is what drew me in, even though SotS is more of a samurai action film. I found the plot a little predictable, but the movie does such a good job at pulling it off you might not care that there are clichés. Interestingly, some characters speak Chinese while the rest speak Japanese. The Chinese characters were... Well, I didn't care for them much. and seeing as how they died in the end anyway I guess I was right not to care.

The last fight scene is one of the best I have witnessed in a movie, ever. It lasted for about a good 30 minutes and the fluid motions and proneness to detail really caught my eye. The ending of the movie is probably my favorite part. Again, a little cliché, but it was satisfying enough for me. Of course, I'm also a fan of samurai movies, so this movie was also right up my alley, so I might be a little biased when I say that I loved it. Still, if you like action and like how amazingly beautiful 2D animation can be, you should watch it.

Tokyo Story - Amazing slow, minimalist film. Set in the 1940's, about two elderly parents who travel to Tokyo to visit their children, only to find their children too busy for them, and constantly trying to pass them off to each other, with only their youngest son's widow actually caring for them. Very simple story, carrying several connotations for the contemporary Japanese society and the changing cultural values, just acted and pulled off very well without trying to hard to get its point across. Very good.

Ice age 3: though it would be bad but it was actually ok they almost got back to why the first one was better but it still was not as great as the original the second one plain sucked

Hell in the Pacific - By far the best war film I've ever seen. One of the smartest and most interesting concepts in any film, as simple as it is, in not having it intentionally non-subbed. Acting was obviously great, with both being sort of the stereotypical archetypes of the American and Japanese soldier respectively. Film was really good in getting over the feeling of the characters, especially in the American soldier's early search for water, and during their boat travel. Ending was deflating and anti-climactic, but I guess was a good social commentary or something.

Moved because no one goes in the multimedia forum.

Anyway I watched Bourne Ultimatum last night because it was on my On Demand thing. For what it is, it pulls it off well.

Gilda

1946 B&W classic with Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford.

Rita Hayworth said that when she married both times, her spouses had fallen in love with Gilda and woken up next to Rita... It's a stunning role, and she performs it beautifully.

Classic love turned to hate turned back to love after a lot of bad things done by both parties story. It's magnificent, one of my favorite movies of all time.

Rita Hayworth is lovely, and Glenn Ford is just the right kind of asshole. The type that can do whatever he likes and you still admire him.

My favorite scene, where Gilda and Johnny admit finally that they don't really hate each other, well sort of... Then her husband catches them together and speeds off to fly a plane into the ocean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HFuXH8wOUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uzB-q0jsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-e7UnTa2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1C1qQ_VoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5X0NDk3fW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT4j62qfKVs

Some of my favorite Quotes from Gilda:

"Didn't you hear about me darling? If I were a ranch they would call me the Bar None."

"Johnny, let me go, please let me go. I can't stand it any more..."

Johnny Farrell: Pardon me, but your husband is showing...

Gilda: I've got some news for you, Johnny. I'm going to do exactly what I please, when I please. I was true to one man once, hmmm
    [looking despicably at Johnny]
    Gilda: and look what happened.

Johnny Farrell: Statistics show that there are more women in the world than anything else. Except insects.

Johnny Farrell: Doesn't it bother you at all that you're married?
    Gilda: What I want to know is, does it bother you?

Gilda: Would it interest you to know how much I hate you, Johnny?
    Johnny Farrell: Very much.
    Gilda: I hate you so much that I would destroy myself to take you down with me.

Gilda: If you're worried about Johnny Farrell, don't be. I hate him!
    Ballin Mundson: And he hates you. That's very apparent. But hate can be a very exciting emotion. Very exciting. Haven't you noticed that?
    Gilda: You make it s...
    Ballin Mundson: There is a heat in it, that one can feel. Didn't you feel it tonight?
    Gilda: No.
    Ballin Mundson: I did. It warmed me. Hate is the only thing that has ever warmed me.

Obregon: You two kids love each other pretty terribly, don't you?
    Johnny Farrell: I hate her!
    Obregon: That's what I mean. It's the most curious love-hate pattern I've ever had the privilege of witnessing.

Gilda: You do hate me, don't you, Johnny?
    Johnny Farrell: I don't think you have any idea of how much.
    Gilda: Hate is a very exciting emotion. Haven't you noticed? Very exciting. I hate you too, Johnny. I hate you so much I think I'm going to die from it. Darling...
    [they kiss passionately]
    Gilda: I think I'm going to die from it.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

17 Again - I really really really REALLY hate myself for liking it. As much as I hate Zac Effron, he didn't suck as much in the HSM movies. He did a pretty good job in the court scene. I almost cried. Fuck you Disney screenwriters! Although it didn't seem very Disney, come to think of it. It had a lot of swearing and akward sex-related/involved scenes. So it probably wasn't a good movie to watch with both of my parents. Especially the health/sex ed class scene.
    When Mike and Stan were beating the hell out of each other in a pile of condoms, I thought of when Luigi posted that one picture awhile ago.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
    ~

Beginning Trainer

The last movie i watched is Jane eyre...

Hahah

The Wedding Planner ... because it contains a reference to my username on xbox and everything else. I kinda like the film >.>

I Am Number Four: Honestly, not as bad as the critics make it seem. I actually kind of liked it. At first I thought it was silly, then I suspended disbelief and just sort of watched it for what it is. And for that, it wasn't horrible. I probably won't watch it again though. I might read the book.

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    I Am Number Four: Honestly, not as bad as the critics make it seem. I actually kind of liked it. At first I thought it was silly, then I suspended disbelief and just sort of watched it for what it is. And for that, it wasn't horrible. I probably won't watch it again though. I might read the book.
    Weird, I haven't watched it, but everyone here is positively RAVING about it. I got the impression that it was top notch.

It only got a 67% on Rotten Tomatoes. The average rating is 3.6 out of 5 stars, which is pretty accurate as far as I am concerned. It isn't the worst movie ever made, but neither is it awesome.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_am_number_four/

Critics are bashing it pretty thoroughly, and the average viewer thinks its OKAY but not a stunner. I think its sort of a Tween movie, not unlike Twilight. It's aimed primarily at 13-year-olds & their libido.

Going to see Paul today to celebrate my 8th anniversary.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

the last movie i watched?

Young Frankenstein: one of my all time favorite comedies. the black and white film encompasses a nearly scary film in such a way that make it inviting and creepy. the films lead, Gene Wilder, is a brilliant actor, and has the ability to truely seem like a credible naive lunatic at times, while still seeming likable and hilarious. marty feldman is actually my favorite casting choice. his cowardly actions, his comic relief action, his generally fun attitude, and his off centered eyes really make that character work as a whole. the other supporting cast do an exquisite job of being likable, dislikable, pathetic, apathetic, or all of the above. the movie has great balance in drama and hilarity. i treasure this movie, and if you havent seen it, you must be one hell of a kirbx.

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    It only got a 67% on Rotten Tomatoes. The average rating is 3.6 out of 5 stars, which is pretty accurate as far as I am concerned. It isn't the worst movie ever made, but neither is it awesome.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_am_number_four/

Critics are bashing it pretty thoroughly, and the average viewer thinks its OKAY but not a stunner. I think its sort of a Tween movie, not unlike Twilight. It's aimed primarily at 13-year-olds & their libido.

Going to see Paul today to celebrate my 8th anniversary.
    what the fuck 67%?

it doesnt deserve anything about a 30

that action movie with russell crowe where he gets his wife out of jail, t'was pretty good

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Oh Lacemaker, the woman I beat yet couldn't leave me.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Paul was hilarious. I laughed harder than I ever have at a movie in the theater. I laughed until I couldn't breathe. I laughed until I cried.

It was probably the most vulgar movie I have ever seen. It taught me new ways to swear.

Fun!

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Zulu

Actually watching it in European History class and as historical movies are concerned, Zulu is probably one of the better ones. Haven't actually finished it yet though.

Beginning Trainer

the last movie i watch Fast five ..This is superb.....

also you guys are such bigass fucking hipsters it's unbelievable

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    also you guys are such bigass fucking hipsters it's unbelievable
    Juuuuuust about to say this meselves.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

I watched Ponyo last week. Fucking fantastic movie!

Saw the Hangover 2. Pretty much what I expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast