Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Debt Ceiling "Crisis"

Your current user title is

yes but aren't we also in debt because we keep importing stuff and don't export enough.
    I always found this site helpfull
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...orld-factbook/

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

you can't easily repair a trade deficit other than by subsidies to domestic industries and tariffs which have obvious problems

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    you can't easily repair a trade deficit other than by subsidies to domestic industries and tariffs which have obvious problems
    This is true, america needs to make a choice soon, we must either go back to doing manual labor, or go the path of India and make our citizens all public service workers and inovators, with the right handling it can work.

manual labor took off. unless you want to work for the government. most of my family does.

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Is this why the government's in a mess? (Sorry! Couldn't resist it)

But just saying that my economics teacher was celebrating today because it meant that we wouldn't be going into a recession since you'll keep buying our stuff.

I don't think the solution is to focus more on domestic expenditure-switching, but instead to improve your exports so that it can appeal to the global market.

What do we as americas have as definitive american exports though, westerns, baseball, and warfare. At LEAST one of those hasn't worked out for us recently.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I posted the link.

but here's what they are
    exports
    $1.27 trillion (2010 est.)
    country comparison to the world: 4
    $1.069 trillion (2009 est.)

agricultural products (soybeans, fruit, corn) 9.2%, industrial supplies (organic chemicals) 26.8%, capital goods (transistors, aircraft, motor vehicle parts, computers, telecommunications equipment) 49.0%, consumer goods (automobiles, medicines) 15.0%

imports
    agricultural products 4.9%, industrial supplies 32.9% (crude oil 8.2%), capital goods 30.4% (computers, telecommunications equipment, motor vehicle parts, office machines, electric power machinery), consumer goods 31.8% (automobiles, clothing, medicines, furniture, toys)

We have a problem with Japan too.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

We're already the leading manufacturing nation, it's just that we import too much. The two largest imports for America is oil and coffee...

Can't we grow coffee?

We don't have the right climate anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    We're already the leading manufacturing nation, it's just that we import too much. The two largest imports for America is oil and coffee...
    This combo is worsened by the fact that we need to buy more oil to ship the coffee, which is the only reason why coffee isn't first.

I learned that we have managed to grow tea.
    Only if we could make a strain of coffee grow here. Maybe if I get to be a geneticist I will try an work on this.

At this point experiments in botany probably is going to fix our debt problem.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

I am more worried about making enough food to feed this country in future years, then making more of a useless stimulant.

We have enough room to grow more crops. I saw alot of unused spaces in my recent travels. but I'm worried we don't have enough jobs for everyone here.

Normal jobs can be hard to get. Target requires an online test and 3 interviews before you are hired. I had a tea shop tell me I would have a better chance of getting hired if I took some collage courses. That job was to stock shelves.

Anything out side of food jobs are becoming retardant hard to apply for.

I know it wasn't this bad 5 years ago and it was nonexistent 10 years ago.
    I hate to say it but I place some of the blame on technology.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

How do we have enough food when right now 600,000 people in Somalia are about to die of starvation.

And hitting closer to home, most of our food needs cheap oil to harvest, plant, make pesicides, and even mulch. In a few years food will be even harder to make and there will be less of it.

So excuse me if I feel we would be wasting our time growing coffee.

I said we have enough land to grow food other countries either don't know how to farm, are too busy bickering with each other to grow crop, have bad soil or are in the wrong climate. The last one is probably the biggest issue.
    I don't think to much oil is wasted on planting food I think more of our oil goes to cars and power plants. Don't forget we still collect our own oil. Sometimes oil pumps are on farms.
    at least where I live. There is no such thing as a food shortage right now. There would have been one if their wasn't a green revolution.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

700,000 people lived in my old city which was a small dot on the map

600,000 some odd people live in Montana which is slightly smaller then JAPAN, J-A-P-A-N. And most of the people in that state are hunters. I think America could go for another 200 years without a food shortage along as we don't have a natural disaster

Flame,Troll and Spoil

600,000 is a pretty big number of people that might flat out die without food.

The total population of the US is just over 300,000,000, so 700,000 is no small dot, thats almost a million people there.

Fact is, before big oil our population and food production was 1/4 of the size it is today. There is some correlation between those, heck its a known fact that since oil a since plot of dirt will produce 3 or 4 times as much food, without oil we will have to go back to food levels of 1890. So I think its in our best interest in the long term to worry more about hard food production then coffee.

Its not even that long term either since in 10 years oil will be unaffordable.

No, No, No, what changed our crop out put was the green revolution that came after the Dust Bowl. All food was homogenized for best out put and flavor. Do you ever wonder why all the chickens, ducks, and geese in the stores are white when the species that you are eating might normally be gray or multicolored?

yeah that is alot of people who are starving but there are at least 1.2 mill that turned out for the fire works over there. I have a good idea what a number that size looks like since I had to walk through the crowds. I like to say you're not having a party untill there are at least 200,000 people partying.

300,000,000 is a number I don't think either of us can wrap our heads around. I think it can't really be compaired to numbers in the 100 thousands.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

The wise words of Warren Buffett.

I saw that when politicians say tax the rich they were really taxing the upper middle class. This is not what the average population thinks when they say rich. And that's why this country is divided and fuck up.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

I just checked the CIA fact book. we use 20% of our land for growing crop.
    with some other calculation and our current population we can add at least
    150,000,000 people and still feed everyone on a yearly basis.

Why we have that much surplus crop? I haven't figured out where all of it's going.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12