Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My toughts on PD's culture

Your current user title is

Default My toughts on PD's culture

I want to ask you about PD. I know this place has been around a long time and survived terrible wars. I think it has kept it's spirit which is unique compared to other places.

So I want to make some statements about what this forum is and isn't and see if you agree.

1) Although this place is loose and not totalitarian I expected it to be overrun by trolls. There are trolls but not the same type as else where. I notice PD isn't like the 4chan culture and no one here likes memes. This place is so anti-memes I didn't even know about meme popularity in the rest of the internet.

I'm curious how that was kept out?

2)This place is laid back and people don't take them self to seriously. It's been more serious in the past as wars and arguments have been driven my competition and change. But none of the stuff that happen was due to self important duch-bagery.

Why are most people on PD friendly?

3) Mod abuse did happen on PD and there were fights between mods. But their actions didn't require bureaucratic consensus from other mods. That means that some bans would be undone by other mods. Some how this didn't cause massive infighting. Also at no point did mods seem to collaborate to ban members. I guess that is because mods didn't require other people's input. In general the will of the forums stood above the will of the administration and Tim took it to extremes when he gave up his power.

Why is the forum as a whole more important than what the people in power want?

I know I'm babbling nonsense but after joining a few other forums I have to wonder how PD kept it's community feel. While other places are just plain hell.
    If we had alot more members would this place take a turn for the worse?

Ripdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Trigon View Post
    1) Although this place is loose and not totalitarian I expected it to be overrun by trolls. There are trolls but not the same type as else where. I notice PD isn't like the 4chan culture and no one here likes memes. This place is so anti-memes I didn't even know about meme popularity in the rest of the internet.
    PD gets trolls, but the interesting thing about PD is, its all old trolls, that don't care about some teenagers almost, in there eyes, childish trolling. This entices them to stay and over time they actually reform themselves to fold into the PD world, or they just leave. With a more advanced sense of humor, memes are also seen as childish, although a few, good ones get through. Remember PD contains many people that are 20+ in age, I donít think they like rage comics.
    2)This place is laid back and people don't take them self to seriously. It's been more serious in the past as wars and arguments have been driven my competition and change. But none of the stuff that happen was due to self important duch-bagery.
    Most of the time they are legit arguments, thatís why.
    3) Mod abuse did happen on PD and there were fights between mods. But their actions didn't require bureaucratic consensus from other mods. That
    means that some bans would be undone by other mods. Some how this didn't cause massive infighting. Also at no point did mods seem to collaborate to ban members. I guess that is because mods didn't require other people's input. In general the will of the forums stood above the will of the administration and Tim took it to extremes when he gave up his power.
    God only let his friends become mods, and only if they where friends with each other too. For example, could you ever see a mod fight between Pichubro and Ninetails? No, they respect each other's decisions. Also PD rarely makes bans like that unless its a general consensus that it needs to happen, even with the normal forum posters. Whatís done is only what has to be done, never more.
    I know I'm babbling nonsense but after joining a few other forums I have to wonder how PD kept it's community feel. While other places are just plain hell.
    If we had alot more members would this place take a turn for the worse?
    No, PD was once a lot bigger, and none of any other those problems occurred. Although, the anti-meme feeling might change a bit with more people on here, as you can see on cosmo. Cosmo is a general example of what PD would be like with more people, there is a bit more silliness, but no legit trolling going on.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

most memes are awful if not all

I don't undertstand rage comics. Is is mastrabating or something?

jk

the reason there are no mod fights since the non-faggots took over is because i was such a NICE GUY. i dont want to ban people unless its totally necessary and since no one would ban anyone without my say so since around fall 2005 that never had an opportunity to be a source of drama.

I remember a time when mods didn't need consensus to ban members but it did not cause massive drama and yes this is was around 2005.
    Tim I think your indolence came a bit later it had to be atleast after all the original mods were gone.

Kirby, there were no meme trolls on PD even when the demographic was younger. So that can't be the only reason why we don't have those kind of people on. In fact I'm at a forum where the demographic is a bit older over all and the place is meme filled.

me and dogar set the tone for pd culture and we were never into that shit. when ta set the tone for pd culture it was there more because he was into that shit. theres the explaination really.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

ripdo what has compelled you to write this encomium of PD?

I'm glad this forum doesn't live off of half witty memes.

TA was never that bad, thank god.
    I went to anew forum and got a major culture shock and can't really understand why the two forums are so different. I started to assume that PD was atypical on the internet.
    I joined a shitty forum for information. I was thinking about providing an alternative
    to that place as it is something really needed in that community. But the thing is it's not something that is popular on PD. I could make my own forum but I need to have a base members who are not into the shittiness that was that place.
    Memes and other issues are too pervasive and I don't think I can control the situation if I was to import members to a new forum.

Basically I'm asking if I can bring people into the forums as a sort of merger. Or have PD take people as refugees that come from a non-pokemon site.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.Ē Lord's Avatar

yes.

Maybe I should be more specific about what I planning to do.
    I left PD and joined another forum dedicated to (lets call this X)
    So lets say that this forum has all the information you would ever need about X but they are totalitarian. Plus the overall comunity for X is shitty. I'm into X but the people on PD are not. I want to send people who are into X to PD as an alternative this this bad forum. The problem is the people who like X are not like the people from PD. Sure we have mods but that's not the problem. I'm worried that these people will dilute the culture of PD and turn this place into a shit hole.

But if I can get these people here and build a community for X we will have alot more activity.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I seriously only became a mod because I was voted in. Popularity contest wooo~

I'm all for adding more people because the worst thing that can happen is that they will clash with the PD crew and will either start a flame war that will be shot down or be so annoying that we'll just wait out for their maturity like Lord. But there's always the possibility that they will easily slide into the PD culture.

alright well I first would like to say that yeah I was alting abit back.

The community is the MUGEN community
    And this is their main fourms.
    http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php

If we had a mugen section people would come here because of the better atmosphere. The thing is if you look around the place it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I learned enough that I want to put up some tutorials on youtube which will attract people to where ever I say they should got for more help.

what I'm trying to say is do you want these people here?

What kind of forum doesn't have postcounts? xP

The Premise seems cool enough, maybe the people wouldn't be too bad. I'm down for 2d Fighters.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.Ē Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    be so annoying that we'll just wait out for their maturity like Lord.
    yo we don't talk about peeps like that

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    What kind of forum doesn't have postcounts? xP
    They have a different set of priorities.

yeah they are into 2d fighters but just that isn't enough. I need to set up tutorials to attract people.

But I can't really advertise PD to the guild like Cosmo does to PD.

well... just start with a select few... talk to them privately, then you can worry about attracting a larger crowd,
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I'm going to try that a bit now.

groovy
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

hold on
    take a look at this
    http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=132387.60
    This place is a bit on edge, it's hard to convince people to join a laid back forum.
    I'm honestly having some problems.

Is there any rules against advertising other forums?

Because I really wouldn't mind them coming here, even to troll. Though they'd probably get a better response from cosmo if it ever gets back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast