Thread: lumberton politics

Default lumberton politics

Small town where I live, can't sum up everything at the moment, but when I do... Should be pretty interesting.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

This should be undoubtedly stimulating. Do take your time...but not too long. You lose your drive when it takes time to firment like a fine wine.

So... about 3 years ago, it was revealed that the town of lumberton was secretly bankrupt. No money. They mayor tried to do what he could to fix it, but mostly the board of alderman fought like the british parliment. In the end he said "Y'all are crazy. I quit." And he did.

Emergency election for a temporary mayor. A guy won. He volunteered to reduce the mayor's salary to a dollar. Most of the alderman agreed to do the same, but there was one hold out, who said she wasn't going to reduce HER pay.

And those two, (the hold out and the mayor) fought like wild dogs over a baby lost in the woods... He called the FBI to investigate the board for stealing the town's money, She called the NAACP for him being white. The battles were legendary.... the town was in the news for quite some time.

Well finally there was a new election... the board was replaced BUT... that one holdout, Miriam Holder became the NEW mayor. After the second new mayor did a lot of stuff, Lumberton was not entirely broke anymore and things were looking okay. Still no economy to speak of.

Now the new Board and the Mayor hate each other...charges have been filed against people at the City meetings... All kinds of corruption accusations, on both sides.

The NEWEST thing was when the Mayor's nephew was arrested for breaking into the drugstore... I say breaking in, what he did is attach a chain to the front door, then to a truck and then drive off, pulling the door away.

WELL the mayor finds out and she calls down there ordering them to release he nephew because "He got a football game he need to play in!" Some other stuff happened and she was arrested on obstruction of justice charges...

She's out on bond and has vowed to fire the police chief.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lumberton-ms

This site has a lot of discussion and information about the early years of this debacle, it hasn't seen much use in a while though.

http://lumbertonpolitics.blogspot.com/

THIS is an interesting though somewhat biased site that updates fairly regularly.... In fact while, the public library has a time allowance for their internet. This guy has somehow managed to circumvent that and is ALWAYS at the library on the computer.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Lol @ the mayor out to fire the police chief for apprehending her nephew.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Did she end up keeping her pay?

not sure... Her obstruction of Justice charge WAS a misdemeanor but after she said she was gonna fire the police chief, he learned that since the crime she was obstructing was a felony her obstruction weas also a felony,
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!