Thread: Hi there

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Default Hi there

Hi, I'm Seven.

I am a 17 year old student enrolled at UAT in Arizona. I play Pokemon every new release (except Generation IV because fuck that generation. I used to use Pokedream for the walkthroughs, so I decided that I might as well join the forums.

As for other games, I play League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, DotA, Minecraft, Unreal, MvC3, Guild Wars, DDO, and Vindictus. Well, at least those are the multiplayer games I play.

I play Magic: The Gathering when I can mooch a deck off of someone else, and I play the piano.

Apologies if that seems like a lot of unnecessary information, it's just that I usually lurk quote a bit before posting, so I like making what I know about people on a forum and what they know about me somewhat level.

Hey
    Glad to see you're staying at the forum after a single post! PD is awesome, though it might not seem like it at the moment, so please do stay!

Call me Trixie or Trix btw.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Please stay we need you.

Well, I'm not really helping the inactivity situation by leaving. So I might as well stick around and try and give other people a reason to.

What I think would help PD (forgive me if I'm way off the mark, by the way) would be a massive overhaul. Something to appeal to people beyond just "we're about Pokemon". Something that makes it stick out. Smogon has their incredible (to some) competitive scene, Bulbagarden has their wiki, and Serebii has... something. What could PD offer visitors that other websites don't do already and in better detail?

Well a website doesn't have to stand out in any particular thing, look at pokemon elite.

Never the less, PD has always been special for its more freedom yet more maturity (well sometimes <.<) along with RPs and junk. Also in the past PD was THE POKEMON NEWS SITE. But all the news posters left and we never bothed to fix that.

the problem with pd is that it's so generic. the website looks sleek yet so bland, nothing catches the eye. from the main site it looks barren - no news since solly's april fools i believe. and don't get me started on the spambots. i'm pretty sure if mewtwo ever drops by again and makes qoorl admin or sets up a captcha or something, we'll make a great step forward. pd was the shit back in 06, hopefully it'll be able to reach that level of glory once again.

welcome, btw. you look like you'll fit in just fine.

Heh I gotta thank the bot actually for bringing my attention here (screw you bot). Seven I wanted to ask you about UAT. I've looked at it some and it looks pretty cool but what's cooler is a student's perspective. Do you like it there? Is there stuff to do out there in the dessert?

Personally, I love it there. It has a whole bunch of resources for whatever you're aiming to major in.

I haven't had a lot of experience with doing any networking, but they have their own server on which to black hat around on, as to not bring down the entire campus's internet.

There's an FBI-grade hard drive recovery station, so if your laptop/desktop crashes and won't start again, you can actually just take the hard drive out, bring it down to the station, and they'll do their best to recover your files.

There's a green screen room, complete with a 360 degree motion capture setup. We actually had a group of student film their final project using only that room.

The clubs are amazing. There's everything from a club that's dedicated to working on the network security, to an anime/manga club, to a club where you learn about the English longsword and how to fight with it. And the best thing is, if you don't find a club that interests you, you can come up with your own idea for a club, find four other students, and it's a club. And then if you want funding, all you have to do is present your club at a meeting of some sort (I haven't actually gotten around to making a club yet, just because I like a lot of the current clubs, so I'm not sure what meeting it is. It's just something I've heard.).

And all of the people are great fun. I'm not typically a social guy, but I have yet to find someone here I haven't made friends with or that I don't like. And I think the situation is the same for most people here. Because of their interests, most of the people here haven't really managed to fit in anywhere else, so it creates a kind of common ground for everyone.

Well that's a glowin review ifn I ever seend one. What you studying, video game programming? ( I want skills in that department.) I think I could probably use a change of scenery too ... Hmm AZ... Idk looks as good as anyplace right now.

Well, I'm actually from Connecticut originally, so I can understand the desire for a change of location.

The first thing I noticed about Arizona is it's insanely hot. Everyone tells me that it gets better in the winter, but they are also the people that told me the heat isn't that bad. Like, power to you if you want to walk anywhere.

I'm majoring in Game Design, which includes a little bit of everything, really. I have Intro to Programming, Intro to Game Tools (using SDKs and stuff), Game Scripting, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I'm only a Freshman right now, but I've been looking at UAT since I started High School.

Hmm, you good with computers eh...

mind making PD a pokemon online server?

The English longsword is a thing of beauty, a testament to the ingenuity of the human mind when pretaining to its thought process of warfare.

Also, that club/course sounds incredibly badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Hmm, you good with computers eh...

mind making PD a pokemon online server?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I haven't had a lot of experience with doing any networking

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    The English longsword is a thing of beauty, a testament to the ingenuity of the human mind when pretaining to its thought process of warfare.

Also, that club/course sounds incredibly badass.
    I love a good longsword, but if one were to ask me my preference between an English longsword and a katana, I would definitely have to align with the katana. I love the whole drawing aspect of the katana, with the focus on ending the fight with one motion.

Ah, but the graceful English movements, the brutal focus on the nobility's use of swift strikes similiar to fencing, the pride taken in wielding such a weapon and its implications...The history behind both the Katana and the English longsword are fascinating. Although, I do have my bias. European history, especially English history, captivates me.

Oh, I love English history. English lore is something I find very interesting. But there's just something "other" about Japanese lore, in my opinion.

Plus the finesse of the katana outweighs the brutish strength of the longsword, in my honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    There's everything from a club that's dedicated to working on the network security, to an anime/manga club, to a club where you learn about the English longsword and how to fight with it.
    I assume this involves beating your peers with a wooden English longsword replica. Do not tell me otherwise.

I had something else to say here but I can't remember it atm.

You need a club for that?
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

Hell yes. Otherwise, it's called assault with a dangerous instrument.
    Last edited by Henri; 10-20-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Just do it.

Oh, then you can assault someone with a dangerous instrument, and then say: "It's okay That's what my club does." and no one can say anything about it.

Sweet.
    Originally made by LM:

Your current user title is

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Well a website doesn't have to stand out in any particular thing, look at pokemon elite.

Never the less, PD has always been special for its more freedom yet more maturity (well sometimes <.<) along with RPs and junk. Also in the past PD was THE POKEMON NEWS SITE. But all the news posters left and we never bothed to fix that.
    pokemon elite as far as I know....I'll save this for another thread in the Misc section.

Flame,Troll and Spoil